AUS Toyfair report, part 2 of 3 (Crossovers & Misc items)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by griffin-of-oz, Apr 4, 2008.

1. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    From here:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=863
    Is this:

First up, Transformers Crossovers. Looks to be a new banner name to group together the existing Star Wars Transformers with the new Marvel Transformers. And possibly any future crossovers.

Their display for Star Wars was rather small, and for SWTFs, they only had one old figure loose (Clone transport) and a packaging mockup (Obi-Wan Ep3 Jedi Starfighter) to show the new packaging for SWTFs. Looks like the spin disc gimmick is gone.
    Disappointed that there wasn't anything new shown for SWTFs, I pressed for information, but they couldn't say anything other than to confirm the press release from a few months back that said there would be 18 SWTFs this year. One reason they said they couldn't talk about SWTFs is because there will be a heavy focus on releasing some SWTFs characters/moulds to match the upcoming animated Clone Wars Movie. That said, I was reassured that they would still be releasing some new 'classic' Star Wars characters in the line, but couldn't give even one name. Fair enough, it's their perogative to decide what information can be disseminated at the best times. Perhaps at BotCon they will reveal some.

New Packaging from one angle.
    [​IMG]

And from the other angle.
    [​IMG]

Marvel Transformers Crossovers.
    I was only aware of Ironman/Jet and Green Hulk/Tank from the US Toyfair a couple months back, so was pleasantly surprised to see another six different ones revealed at the AUS Toyfair this weekend.

Venom/Muscle Car (loose and in packaging)
    Spiderman/Motorcycle (loose and in packaging)
    Wolverine/Offroad Vehicle (packaging mock-up, no actual toy)
    Green Hulk/Tank (back of Venom packaging pictures)
    Ironman/Jet (back of Venom packaging pictures)
    Human Torch/Jet (different to Ironman jet) (back of Wolverine packaging)
    Black Spiderman/Motorcycle (recolour) (back of Wolverine packaging)
    Grey Hulk/Tank (recolour) (back of Wolverine packagin)

A total of eight, in what would be at least two waves so far, according to the two recolours on Wolverine's packaging. And according to the Hasbro rep, there are 10-15 planned so far, and because of the success of the Star Wars Transformers, both sub-lines within 'Crossovers' will be long term product lines.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I got in close enough for that back of packaging photo, but unfortunately didn't find out until I got home that it wasn't clear enough to see the other figures clearly enough.

Toothtunes.
    A novelty item produced by the Hasbro division 'Tiger Electronics'. These are electric toothbrushes that play music that resonates to the nearby eardrums of the teeth being cleaned. As such, they aren't very audible on their own. The second wave of these includes a range of kids brands, including a Transformers one. The music it plays sounds like the Cybertron or Animated cartoon theme song, plus I think it plays some phrases as well. Not sure of retail price (probably $10-15), but the TFs one is scheduled for release here in Jun/Jul.
    [​IMG]

We managed to 'interview' Kristin (Hasbro Rep) for about 15 minutes, with various questions submitted by fans.

- No second wave Movie Unleashed Turnarounds (Ratchet/Jazz, Barricade/Blackout).

- Walmart Deluxes (Jolt, BigDaddy, Divebomb, Grindcore) still not yet confirmed for release here.

- Classics and Animated are planned to run to at least mid 2009.

- Animated cartoon to be on AUS Cartoon Network Saturday May 31 9am, and every Saturday and Sunday at that time. Each 'Season' of Animated is 13 episodes, so the US screening is already into Season 2, and Season 3 has already been done.

- First six episodes of Animated Cartoon will be released on DVD in September, but being Paramount, there doesn't appear to be any plans of the whole series being released (like the last two series).

- Animated toys release was pushed back because of the underestimated demand of Movie product (which was already assumed to be why).

- Over-pricing of Transformers toys in Australia is due to demand, rather than profitteering. That is, Hasbro Australia only imports a small number of TFs toy product, which usually sells within an exeptable timeframe, so they don't need to charge less as an incentive to retailers to pre-order their product. (eg. Deluxes here are about US$22-25 with tax, compared with in America of about US$11 with tax). And the retail pricing of Transformers in Australia will remain the same until at least next year, no matter how good our exchange rate keeps getting.

- Target Australia will have a store exclusive in July. Masterpiece Convoy/Optimus, apparently in Japanese packaging like the release of MP Ultra Magnus to Target a few years back. It will NOT be the MP04 Trailer version, it will be the MP01 version. Apparently there will be about 2000 units, which should see quite a few at each store (probably 30-40).

- Transformers toys in Australia picked up two toy industry awards at the Toyfair event. The GFK Oztoy Awards 2007, were 'Fastest Growing License' and 'Top Selling Action Figure (Value)' for the Movie Leader range.
    Not bad for a toyline that could have had twice as many sales in 2007 if Hasbro America didn't prevent countries like Australia from getting any stock in the last 2 months of the year (the peak Christmas period).

- Hasbro Australia will be setting up an online store end 2008/early 2009, like the US Hasbro online store. So hopefully we will have a better chance to get limited edition items and items not released to stores here, if the Hasbro AUS store stocks them.

- There policy on Knock Offs is that they will chase up and prosecute offending businesses even if the real Transformers toy is no longer currently in stores. I asked this because one of the Toyfair booths near the Hasbro booth actually had on display some imported Asian TFs KOs!

- Premium Movie figures will be priced the same as the regular ones, because they are regular release items.

- G1 homage stuff will be mainly covered in the Classics/Universe line, which will be the series aimed at older collector.

- No idea on where all the excess Movie non-toy electronic gadgets went, stores probably just heavily discounted or dumped them.

- Hasbro believes we have a big enough market in Australia to support 2-3 mainlines (Animated, Universe, Movies) at the same time, so we shouldn't see any shafting on supply (unless Hasbro America are the cause again).

- Minimum production quotas prevent Hasbro Australia from even considering doing an Australian exclusive (recolour).

Some other miscellaneous info and pics.

On one of the Hasbro walls.
    [​IMG]

These two people showed up soon after we got there (the cameraman wasn't there until later), and as familar as they were, I couldn't work out where I had seen them. Then I remembered, they are the hosts of the kid's morning show on Channel 10, 'Toasted TV'. They ended up filming a segment for an upcoming show, using several Animated Transformers and other toys. They were there for well over an hour, running through lines and checking out the best toys, before they finally filmmed their segment. No idea on how long it will be before it airs.
    [​IMG]

And the approach to the Hasbro booth (the largest display at Toyfair, because the largest toy company, Mattel, weren't there).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heaps of tables for doing business with the various retailers.
    [​IMG]

All hail the mighty Hasbro trademark... :) 
    [​IMG]

Entry to the Toyfair.
    [​IMG]

Giant Wiggles at the entrance. (glad I got a person in the shot, to really show how big these things were)
    [​IMG]

A stall inside that as selling model Camaros in Bumblebee colours, but not as licensed Hasbro merchandise. The lady there was saying that they were licensed Holden Camaro model cars, because apparently Holden will be releasing the Movie Concept Camaro car in Australia by late 08/early 09. I think it is replacing the Monaro, which they stopped producing last year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final part will cover Animated.

2. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    That was a great report and a nice surprise in general as I wasn't expecting to see any new toys till Botcon. Thanks very much for posting it here.

And man you guys are lucky, the UK toyfair won't let fans in as media much less let people actually touch what's on display!

The Marvel formers are all good, I like the vehicles especially, love that we're getting another muscle car so soon after Lockdown and Big Daddy. :D 

3. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    So that thing awhile back that said Venom was a Jeep was wrong.
    A Muscle Car suits him better anyway. I wonder how he'll compare to Cybertron Downshift and Movie Big daddy?

If I pick up any of the Marvel Stuff it'll be Venom and maybe one of the Spider-Mans(men?).

The thing about clone wars toys sounds interesting.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Spiderman motorcycle sure looks like an Arcee remold to me. The rest look ok as well, great kitbash fodder.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The first thing I thought when I saw the Marvel transformers is that they look like great kitbash fodder.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. Looks like the report that Venom would be a Jeep/APC vehicle was wrong. Oh well, this muscle car alt-mode fits him better, imo. Kinda sad, imo, that Spiderman is a remold of the Movie Arcee toy, though I still might get him in the end. I'm curious as to what part 3 of these reports will be. Probably something to do with Animated.

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Wolverine's deco reminds me of mac n' cheese.
    I used to have a bunch of merchandise when I was a kid.
    He sure looks tasty anyway.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I am worried that Wolverine's claws are actually molded together, rather than being seperate claws.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, another use of the Jedi Starfighter mold? They're using that thing like it's the only whore on a naval base.

10. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    The Marvel crossover is looking good...Wolverine as a Baja race truck and Venom as a Plymouth Cuda...i'd say that those are great vehicle choices for them. I am also like the new SW Packaging

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I...I really like the Marvel Crossovers.

What the fuck?!

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Crossovers Venom looks like the Illegitemate child of Movie Ironhide and Stockade.

.... that they keep in the cellar.

13. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

I don't know that I'd call Spider-Man just an Arcee remold yet, but at the very least he's the Energon Starscream to Arcee's G2 Smokescreen. Wolverine and Venom look pretty good, though, considering I was pretty much just expecting an Overhaul recolor/remold for Wolverine. I'd say that the Marvel TF designers already have a much better handle on making transforming toys than the Star Wars guys ever had.

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Holy shit those marvel crossovers are not terrible... I really like the Venom jeep.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And let out to OWN PEOPLE.

All of these Marvel TFs look good, many of them great. And Wolverine is soooo cool, I can't believe they gave him a vehicle mode so close to Overhaul's.

Although I've bought one of each mold, I haven't been quite impressed enough with the SWTFs to buy any repaints. Looks like that'll change with the Marvel TFs.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    The Marvel/TFs look like they're sitting on the fence of being really fun or really crappy. I'm sure I'll pick up Venom for sure then jugdhe them from there.

17. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Okay, now that I've seen more of Venom, he's not so bad. He's growing on me. The Spider-Man cycle I think I'll pass on, though, but I may get the black version. And a grey Hulk tank? Mine!

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually, Spidey isn't a remold. Take a really good look at it. It obviously has some elements from it, but you can tell it's an original mold.

19. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Spiderman looks like a arcee repaint and Wolverine looks really bad ass

20. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same reaction, WTF?!

And I really dislike the previous Marvel TF knockoff line, and the SWTF... I don't know... I guess it's the alt modes, and the fact that they've got the most ''regular'' TF-like bot modes.