Auditions for Headmasters Episode 7: All Hail Lord Zarak!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Prime Productions now joins forces with Nemesis Matrix Productions (who picked the project up originally from Fyerspawn Studios and Adaptations GJ) to roll ahead with the Unofficial Fan Project (UFP) in The Transformers: Headmasters series, and produce episodes that have never before been given a proper English dub in the history of the show. Our aim is to provide Transformers fans and English speaking audiences a high quality dub with characters they love, presented in a way we can all enjoy time and again.

We are now currently on the 7th installment of The Headmasters. As the new primary editor/producer of Zarak's inaugural episode, I intend to edit for quality to ensure that Zarak's introduction to the series is a memorable one. But before that can happen, an actor must bring him to life!

Remember, this is a totally different character than the Lord Zarak we saw in Rebirth. This character is the Japanese Scorponok from Planet Master. (More character info farther down this post.)

=========================================================
    AUDITIONS NOW CLOSED

CASTED FOR ZARAK: Frank Todaro
    CASTED FOR SECURITY BOT: Luke Word
    CASTED FOR FACTORY BOT: Luke Word
    =========================================================

CHARACTER INFO:
    “Kindness is no virtue… and cruelty is no vice.”

Zarak, otherwise known as Scorponok.

Zarak seems to exist solely to terrorize the innocent and cause devastation in the name of the Decepticon cause and his own gain. If his personality seems almost stereotypically evil and unrealistically one-dimensional, that’s because he wants it to appear that way. Being a leader in the Decepticon army requires a Transformer to be constantly on guard, physically and emotionally, while radiating an aura of fear and power. Despair and isolation are all that remain in his wake. He believes the poor should be exploited, the weak oppressed, and the noble corrupted.

[​IMG]

He is as sinister as they come, spending most of his time creeping in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to strike. The shadows are as dark as his core, and it's in this darkness where he schemes his manipulation of the Decepticon ranks while he secretly plots to assume permanent leadership of the Decepticons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zarak is a competent leader and his abilities sometimes provide him a confidence that can sometimes borderline arrogance. He is as clever as he is smug. Lord Zarak's ambition can classify him as a maniacal megalomaniac and he will take every opportunity that presents itself to advance his devious agenda.

[​IMG]

Zarak never lets his emotions get out of hand and is always in control of the situation. And when he's not, he devises a plan to make sure that he is. Characters he can be compared to are Starscream (Opportunistic, Smug, Ambitious, cocky, and independent), Beast Wars Megatron (Cunning, Intelligent, Clever, Competent, A good leader, ambitions of outrageous grandeur), and outside of Transformers he can slightly be compared to Dr. Doom (inventive, scheming, purely powerful.)

[​IMG]

Zarak is sometimes also known by the name of his much larger form, Scorponok. He transforms into the head of his massive transtector to form Scorponok, the largest Decepticon ever created.

[​IMG]

There are 3 modes to Scorponok. Robot form...

[​IMG]

Defense Base mode...

[​IMG]

and true to his name, Scorpion form...
    [​IMG]

...In scorpion Mode, his tail shoots 100,000 volt electric bursts, he has twin pulse blasters, and claws that can crush mountains.

===================================

OTHER AUDITIONS:

Security Bot:
    [​IMG]

Security Bot line 1: Outpost Fifteen reporting in! Send help, we’re under heavy Decepticon attack!

Factory Bot:
    [​IMG]

Factory Bot Line 1: (strained speech) We have just now discovered a new energy source.

=================================================================================

RECIEVED AUDITIONS:

ZARAK
    Nigel Bradley
    Tourque
    Deafinition
    Chris Petree
    Andrew Randall
    Steven C. Phillips
    Darthcrusher
    OmegaOptimusSupreme
    Stefanos Roussos
    Jason Saalbach
    shadowsvoice
    OmegaOptimusSupreme
    Zach Dyer
    Caleb "Catog"
    Brandon McAllister
    Erik Copper
    Timothy Truitt
    Dusten Todd
    Frank Todaro
    Zeion
    Greg Izzi
    Brad Venable
    Guillermo Poblete
    Justin Grant
    Curt Page
    ConVito
    Sam Hyland
    Zachary Williams

SECURITY BOT
    Stefanos Roussos
    Chris Petree
    Jason Sallbach
    OmegaOptimusSupreme
    Zach Dyer
    Greg Izzi
    Guilermo Poblete
    Curt Page

FACTORY BOT
    Chris Petree
    OmegaOptimus Supreme
    Greg Izzi
    Curt Page

2. Rodimus

Also, sarcasm is your friend. ;) 

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I'm glad you're having Zarak as the name of the head and Scorponok as the name of the transtector.

4. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    Wouldn't of done it any other way honestly. Otherwise cerebros would of remained fortress right?
    Were trying our best to stick to hasbro names and events of it's possible....I hope we remain that way too. But I urge people to give it a shot and try their best.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i feel silly for asking, but how do i record in 44100hz 192kb/s Stereo?

6. Rodimus

It only applies if you're using Mp3 format. When you go to save as, depending on the software you're using to record, there should be a list of saving options you can drag down. In goldwave it's just below the save as box, in the box called "attributes". In Vegas, it's off to the right of your format choice, under custom and options. What ever software your using there should be some options next to the save as format when you go to save the file.

wav and AIFF formats are requested in 16 bit stereo. AIFF is the industry standard and sounds clearer after adding effects and resaving, which is why it's requested for the actual episode. For audition purposes though, mp3 is fine since we're not doing effects until the final recording of script returns.

7. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I will maybe give it a shot sometime this month.... =)
    For the 2 other "drone".... Those will be easy to do....
    As for Zarak, he will be a challenge but I will try to come up with a couple of different voices....
    If none of the voice are good, then I gave it my best shot!
    =)

8. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Hmmm, you have got me interested indeed

I'll try my best, I might be able to conjour up a voice I produced years ago that just was not quite human :0

Haha, alrighty lets see what I can try :) 

9. thundercatlord

thundercatlord Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll give this a shot too, after I get over this cold.... don't think Zarak would sound too awesome with a stuffy nose.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    you too with a cold, huh? fortunately it hasnt warped my voice too too much

11. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    i'll think about it. if you can hang on until after surgery. i've got to power through a session tomorrow. i hope i don't have to stand for too long.

12. Rodimus

Bro, number one priority is your health. I honestly didn't think you would be considering it. All I'm hoping to see from you is to get better and feel better. Everything else is secondary. Once you feel better, then think about it. These projects will still be here, as will new ideas popping up in brains everywhere. :wink: 

And if you feel better after surgery when you recover in a couple weeks, more than likely the auditions will still be open if you're still considering it by then. (January 29). I don't forsee us taking on that early close option unless someone like David Kaye showed up out of the blue and suprised us with some jaw dropping audition, and even then it'll still probably be open. Just take care of yourself and get better Jon. That's all that matters at this point. :) 

13. Hikuro

Hikuro Matrix Bearer

Ebay:
    David Kaye.......no, it'd be closed from that name auditioning. I would grant that and I hold more shares in stock :p 

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Audition sent! Good luck with the production either way!

15. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Link to other installments would be nice

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you want something akin to how Zarak sounds in the Japanese or individual takes on the voice?

17. Rodimus

Thanks! :) 

This is episode 4 which holds mostly the same cast. It was edited by the producer of French version of the dub (Headmasters DAF) and was the last lead producer of the project with Brenton. I have not been the editor at any point in this series until this very episode, so I am unable to provide to you a sample of my work outside of a comedy video I did with Jon3pnt0, and a Grimlock The Comedian blooper (which I didn't even think was any good nor intend to upload when I first did it. But it does give you an idea of how I slice and piece together different clips from across the series to work with the new dialog.) In Headmasters, I'll be editing and animating the different frames in order to sync up the timing of the characters mouths on screen to fit the words and timing of the actors delivery.

For more up to date dubs, Hikuro has dubbed episodes 1-2, & 5-6, and is currently working on episode 3 while I am working on this episode (#7). The redubs are for consistency in some of the cast additions like Jon as Optimus Prime. Hikuro's channel for the dubs is here.

Jon would be able to tell you from working king with me, that I can be an anal perfectionistic S.O.B. sometimes when it comes to editing anything I want to release to the public. That's one of the reasons several of my select projects have been withheld from release. I have several projects that are in the works and all of them are continuing to be refined and are looking more spectacular with every bit of fancy new video tricks I've learned along the way. (Jon if you want to see a preview of that trailer we worked on, hit me with a message.) All of those are on the backburner to help Hikuro put out more episodes at a faster pace. I'm putting all my editing time and efforts in Headmasters right now. It's the biggest priority.

As for the dub itself, this will be the first I've edited with this crew and I plan on making it fun for every one involved while doing my absolute best for precision. I'll be working with Hikuro to make it happen. This is a Nemesis Matrix Production. And as usual, Grimbot will still be sharing his talents with the audio track, as always. You can see examples of the cast and crews combined previous efforts in any of the episodes linked above.

If we can get that, then yes. We would love it if we could find that. However what's absolutely most important though, is a good performance. It is also OK to audition more than 1 voice if you feel you'd like to try different voices.

But to go back to your question, In my own personal humble opinion, I think it can be very helpful to take note of how the original Japanese actor delivers his lines. There are little sublties he does that really bring out the type of character Zarak is.

That being said, every one is unique and has their own unique voice/style so we are not asking for a complete replica. We'd like for Zarak to have real presence about him. Sometimes intimidating, sometimes cunning/clever, sometimes cocky. But the interpretation of those qualities is up to you. Your the actor. Just do what you think sounds real good to give life to the character. For example, when Tom Kenny went in to audition as Sponge Bob, casting directors were telling him "this is what I want; do this and do that". Well Tom Kenny finally said, "No I think this would sound better, so let's try this". He did his own thing and the casting directors were blown away by it and awarded him the part right there.

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    if we didnt provide contact information, would we just get an email back? just realized i didnt do that

19. Rodimus

The only way we can contact you then is the email you sent them through. The other bit of information we need to know is what name we can use in the Credits. This name will also be used to keep track of recieved auditions (publically). This casting call has at least 6 other places we are recieving auditions from, so it can get a bit confusing with just board nicknames.

Whenever the actor specifically requests feedback we'll respond but other then that we'll just wait until the deadline to announce the winners. The winner will recieve an email at that time.

Of coarse, Hik and I have also yet to discuss some things so the deadline thing.... well it still stands open as long as David Kaye or Yasunori Masutani (now in English!) doesn't audition. ;) 

20. Rodimus

Time is ticking away. Get those auditions while they're open! ;)