Audi R8

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by General Magnus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Kind of curious, is he confirmed? Because what I read so far on tfs and german cars is that VW (I think they own Audi) is against depicting it´s products as "war weapons". So what has made them change their minds and have an Audi in this movie as a bad guy to boot?

2. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

wasnt that mostly just a rumor that was spread around to justify Bumble Bee not being a VW. I dont think I have ever seen that in writing except on these boards and others. If some one has a link to that effect that would be interesting as from a business stand point thats practically free advertising and there is very few companies that would turn that down.

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    we've seen them shooting footage with the audi R8 in it, plus the concept for its robot mode. im pretty sure they're sticking to it.

4. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    most of them would actually, if their products were going to be portrayed in a bad way... for example the game burnout, there isn't a single real car in it, for that exact reason.

5. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

but then we have games like need4speed which have very real street cars promoting street racing. Its all about politics and money. VW does own Audi though. I'm a VW enthusiast myself and I have not heard anywhere other than from fans that VW said they wont be involved with a war movie. VW is very into advertising thier products. Herbie the love bug, the mk5 gti in the latest bourne movie, the hulk themed polo in fast and furios tokyo drift, the two r32s that are involved with the universal ride for fast and furiuos, the w12 concept, the r8 in iron man, the audi s8 in transporter 2 and 3, etc etc. There really is no reason why VW would have declined to show thier car in transformers other than them not having a vw muscle car to replace the camero. Bumble bee would have made a sick audi s5 though

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Burnout actually doesnt license real cars for a reason. They dont need to. It would be a wasted expendature to license looks of cars when best part of the game is taking them apart. Need for speed is a bit differant they are looking to capture a racing crowd with modding real cars and it has been a franchise that used that allure from the beginning.

The Ford Mustang certainly wasnt hurt by being portrayed as the fantastic Barricade. HMMM Maybe GM had a little say in why barricade just dissappears in the movie (maybe a bad ending or nefarious deed ). You could be right there.

I would say getting the car in the movie provided the character doesnt blow up a bus full of nuns is a win for the marketing department.

7. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Did I miss something?

8. Doomofman

Doomofman Suck my popsicle!

News Credits:
  9. newguy

newguy i

Porsche owns Volkswagen and Audi, so Audi is like Volkswagens brother/sister.

10. Bottom Out

porsche owns a percentage of vw, audi is vw's luxury brand

11. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

It didn't start with the movie. They tried to get a VW Bumblebee for Alternators, but VW said no. Same problem with their first attempt at a Jazz (a Porsche) and a Mini Alternator.

12. Bottom Out

were is the information in relation to that? are you sure that wasnt just someone making up a valid excuse so the fans wouldnt be pissed that they decided to go witha different make/model?

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We've had confirmation from a Hasbro intern at the time (Jazz) and someone who worked at Porsche as well.

14. Bottom Out

just like the TFW insider has confirmed soundwave is a pick up truck right? I mean real sources that came from Hasbro or Porsche directly, not people claiming to work for them and speaking on it unofficially. Not knocking those people at all, they could be telling the truth but there is no way for us to know if thats truley the case since thier information is unofficial

15. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I just always assumed VW/Porsche wanted a bigger licensing fee than some of the other companies, and Hasbro just went another way.

As has been pointed out by other examples here, the "no war movies" or whatever reason doesn't really pan out, especially since that's not in writing anywhere from anyone reliable.

16. Bottom Out

^another good point is that the euro compared to the dollar at the time of these toys/movies wasnt 1:1 which means it would cost production a lot more to license those euro cars than american/asian ones