Fan Art: Attention would be 3D artists - Claigari TrueSpace 7.6 is now FREE.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

3D Modeling Software - trueSpace

Some of the first 3d models I ever submitted to TFW's fan art section were done with an older version of TrueSpace, it's a fairly decent 3D program and used to cost hundreds of dollars - evidently Caligari, the company that produces the software was bought by Microsoft and now the software is bering given away!

All you have to do is sign up at the site and download it!

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool. I've been meaning to find a free 3D program for my home computer. Hopefully it's not that different from 3dsMax, which I've used in some of my classes in the past.

3. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting I may have to give this a go - some of the tools seem to work quite similarly to Sketchup (inference snapping, face extruding)

4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kick-arse. :D  I learned most of my 3D modelling skills using TruSpace 2 about 8-9 years ago. I'll have to try this one out.

5. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Meh. I've already got Blender, and that's working. I still don't know how to make hands or lips - and real-life cars are beyond my current skills, so I cheat by making Cybertron modes - but I can live without Claigari whatever-it-is.

6. Dark_Convoy

:thumbs2:  I have Blender as well, I also have an older version of 3D Studio Max, and have downloaded this new version of TrueSpace.

Just because I already have a screwdriver in my toolbox doesn't mean I don't want another one with slightly different features.

7. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

As a reference point, who's used it for designing and animating Transformers? Would you say it's better or worse for that purpose than other 3D apps around at the moment?

8. Dark_Convoy

Playing around with it the interface seems a bit more complicated than say 3D studio.

The thing about 3D though is, it's not the tools but the artists. Once you lean a particular app it's down to your skill and style as an artist.

9. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    from what i remember it was hugely simpler than something like studio or maya - but that was over 10 years ago though

10. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

I was thinking more along the lines of if it had useful built-ins or easily adaptable functions which specifically helped make 3D designs where the parts slide and rotate around one another, or where a component has to look good or fit well in two or more modes.

For example, a 3D package where it was easy to not only set up a transformation animation, but to work on the detailing/colour of a part while viewing both modes at the same time. Or a package where an animation could be set up and the application would notify if a part's shape was changed in such a way as to cause collisions during the animation. Or even something like making it really easy to 'chop' an existing part into two regular or irregular halves which have to fit together along the new seamline, or taking two parts which fit together in one mode and being able to alter both parts at the same time simply by changing the details of the seam line.

A lot of 3D programs can do something like this, but with some it's a battle of checking one thing, then another, then another, whereas it would be nice if at least some of it was automated.

Mmm, which reminds me, anyone know where to find terrain-adaptive 3D gaits other than bipedal or quadrupedal? I'm thinking they might be useful for animating altmodes of insects, spiders, crabs etc.