ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BotCon has not, in fact, banned all third party products. There's clearly a line somewhere between what they will allow or will not allow, the problem is that we don't know where that line is right now, because you could drive a freight train - sideways - through the holes in the language,. And that language, per Brian, came out of Hasbro's legal team - which is thoroughly shocking, as they should know better than to write such mumbo jumbo.

2. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    you would think with under 50 days to go, hasbro or FP would have a list of what will not be allowed. The only thing I can think of is hasbro wants to sell who carrys those toys in question, My personal thoughts are igear, and crazy dev items just to name the 2 off the top of my head that will not be allowed

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i have a suspicion stuff like hercules and battle tanker will be allowed, but if anyone trys to sell the igear seekers, they are gone..

at least i hope, i wanted to start my hercules at botcon

4. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I can't believe you guys do not have a straight forward answer to this yet, how are you guys supposed to plan and be ready if these boneheads can't tell you what's allowed and what's not.

As a dealer are you able to cancel your booth if they come back and say that no third party stuff is allowed?

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    If I had to predict I'd say anything that is a full figure would be banned...

Anything by Igear or CMHS
    Hercules (it's close enough to Devastator...)
    Fansproject Springer and Insecticons
    Counterfeit G1 items

If they allow anything I'm betting add-ons that require official product like the armors and heads will be fine. Also any vintage bootlegs (like the South Korean stuff) will probably be OK.

6. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking the same thing. Their probably only going to allow something if it requires their product to complete. I'm hoping not, as this may be the first 'con I've been able to attend in eight years and was really looking forward to the dealer room experience again and picking up a few 3rd party pieces I've been looking at.

7. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    That'd be very hard to enforce. Many of the high-er quality G1 KOs are nearly indistinguishable from the originals unless you know exactly what to look for. Of course, minty MISB G1 stuff for <$100 usually gives it away regardless.

8. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Usually when I see dealers with counterfeit G1 stuff their ENTIRE booth is counterfeit. When you know which pieces have been done and the entire display is nothing but it'd be a big red flag.

There's a local dealer who always sets his display up like that and totally tries to pass them off as real and IIRC he was doing the same at last years Botcon...even trying to sell the white Headmaster heads as legit.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:

My favorite was the guy trying to sell a KO Black Prime as legit, next to it was the clear one......

The funniest part was that he was right next to the club store.....

10. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dont know if sure, If I remember right there was a cut off date for other years. Were if you could not make it as a dealer they would give a refund. Not sure if that policy is still in good standings for this year

11. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If anything set them off, it was probably either those guys or TFSource's booth of goodies.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have to imagine TFsource's booth irks them. Last year they had a bunch of 3rd party prototypes on display, not to mention half their booth was dedicated to selling 3rd party items.

13. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    Uh, their awesome prices urked me.

14. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my opinion, they want this to be as vague as possible. Why, you ask? Why not make it black and white? I believe that it would probably cause many dealers to not be able to show, OR that a lot of sales would occur outside the dealer room. It also allows them to be flexible with their own interpretations of stolen IP (which is a specialty of lawyers so that they are able to bend the law in their favor).

I truly believe that they don't want to do ANY confiscating.....no one wants a negative experiance at the show....hasbro or funpub. They make these things vague to accomplish what it is accomplishing in this thread......fear. They want the dealers to fear that their products will be confiscated and therefore, make the conscious effort themselves NOT to sell or bring those items to the con. If Hasbro or Funpub has to confiscate anything, its simply bad PR, especially if they ended up confiscating half the dealers.

If I were a dealer (and I am obviously not) I would keep all the 3rd party merchandise I planned to sell under the table or in boxes and only take them out to show sparingly and maybe even list them on a board so buyers can ask to see them so that they are not in plain view.

Last year was a first, I believe, with the BLATANT display of KOs such as iGear seekers and CHMS stuff. I doubt 3rd party stuff such as Fansproject, Hercules, and the like will be an issue. While we all know that they are "borrowed" intellectual property, there is still a grey area with those as opposed to iGear seekers. Just my :2c:  on the issue.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I would say this is the logical line of thought. Full 3rd party figures / copies = no, accessory kits = yes.

Hopefully clarification is forthcoming.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah as soon as I see any counterfeit G1 stuff I don't even bother looking, I just bypass the booth altogether.

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Not that I have any of those (which I don't) I still look around. You never know what kinda jem you will find. If your knowledgeable you will not get burned. I just wish people would tell it like it is. If it is a knockoff sell it as a knockoff. If it is a floppy piece o crap sell it as such. If you need to wash your butt because your BO is outrageous then I am sure there is a nice Comic book convention you can go to.....

Seriously, every freakin year!!!!

(P.S.) I just read this and want everyone to know this is not directed at Deefuzz I just remember us both in line and smelling the same crap....literally CRAP!!!

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Wow, this is crazy town. The wording on that allows Hasbro to "seize" customs, artwork, third parties and region specific Takara releases. Hell, the wording on the front page enables them to seize anything if they so desired. Dangerous ground. Glad I'm not dealing.

I've heard of Hasbro trying to stop dealers selling toys that they haven't released yet, but when said dealer waved the invoice from the Hong Kong distributor they realised there really wasn't anything they could do.

19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Yea he was also dealing in 08 I believe, tried to tell me the ko gold wheel convoy was a legit luckydraw and was worth $1000's. I actually had it out with him on the boards as he was a member here and he tried to threaten me with his prison guard friend. A real dbag.

20. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    I think he might be local, either that or he's one of the guys who just does toy shows for a living because I almost ALWAYS see him at the San Jose show trying to pass all the fake stuff he has off as real...even trying to sell extra empty boxes as legit for making your old figure MIB. The guys a douche...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.