Customs: attention: TF knock off companies - NEW profitable toy idea

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JetBrawn, Sep 16, 2006.

1. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

hey you, justBtoys!!

Here's a sales pitch: make custom replacement Transformer Alternator heads!!

For instance, a cartoon-accurate Dead End head that resembles this:

[​IMG]

rather than this:
    [​IMG]

of course, to make it sellable, it would have to be cool, which means:

1) new updated design, yet similar to the Generation 1 character

2) cool gimmick, such as a clear purple visor with a reflective silver chrome strip underneath.

3) matching in colorscheme to the host toy, and with the correct balljoint size for the neck for easy snap-on.

Then, sell 'em for $5 bucks each. Brilliant TF augmenting, non-trademark breaking, marketable stuff.

so whaddya say? *anticipates first mass-produced custom Alt heads within the year*

2. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

and then, there's Swindle...

3. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    There's lot's of hobbyist customizers/casters that could fill your need better than a full regular manufacturing company . There's probably not enough interest in making a new head for deadend to warrant a full production run. In a very few cases have parts ever been manufactured (alt missles, 20th prime stacks), most of the time it's a full figure.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

There are a few guys out there who do offer replacement heads for alts already, but they are limited in production and a bit expensive, I agree with Mr.Sci-Fi as far as there not being enough demand for a full scale production.

5. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a good idea!

I would like to comment on something, however. There has been a lot of things of debate directed to our customs community in terms of making moneies on customs. I say the following as an artist, directed to artists (whose work is valuable), for artists: in terms of "customs," I'd suffice it to say that it would be a good idea for all of use to get out of this money-making mind-set of our work.

This is of NO disrespect to any artist who chooses to make a custom (who is merely trying to make a compensation of his artwork and not trying to be a theif from Hasbro; this is just to say that the more of the spotlight placed on this issue is the harder it's going to be for us to even create cool toys and even see a dime for our own creations.

This is just some advice and an opinion (and every one of us is entitled to one, including myself), so take it with a grain of salt. As the movie approaches, the bigger any of these issues will be and the more we'll see intervention thereof on them.

I just hope everyone can see my heart for making cool toys here and trying to have a balanced perspective on this issue (as well as a lot of others in general). I entered the customs world wanting to make cool toys (and to hone my 3-D skills, which I've always felt was one of my weakest areas artistically), and I hope to keep making cool toys. I hope the rest of the fandom will continue to make cool toys as well!

. . . and I'm back off . . . :thumb 

7. thunderbat16

thunderbat16 scout sniper

amen

true all true this is art in its purist form complete creation of something new modelers have been doing this to countless tanks,planes,cars,and boats as long as there have been model kits lets not forget that this is mostly for the sheer hell of it and to have some thing no one else has true individuality the very essence of our freedoms as americans
    and human beings so lets not forget that who knows we all may have are works in a museum after we are all dead and gone to the next life hereafter

8. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay: