Attack of the Book Trilogies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Is it just me, or has anyone noticed the alarming growth rate of Trilogy Books since J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter Series or the release of the Lord of the Rings films (if that even counts as an influence on Trilogy Books, given that it was already a trilogy of 3 books to begin with)? Every time I pick up a book, somewhere above or below the title its a continuation of a series past or a new series about to begin? I mean, what happened to the good 'ol days where you could pick up a book and it was a ONE-SHOT deal? Why does everything have to be continued in Book 2 to 20?

Its madness I tell you, pure madness!

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Try writing book reports on the sequel books WITHOUT taking 2 paragraphs to explain the background story from the previous story.
    DN

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    It's been like that in fantasy ever since Tolkien, although LOTR really is supposed to be read as one book. It's only through a quirk of being freakin' huge that it was released as a trilogy.

4. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I dont even know how you could keep the pages open with something that big. You would need a bigass weight.

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Everyone wants to be the next "Harry Potter" and "LOTR" movies, duh.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

My copy of LOTR is all in one book. It's really not that bad at all, no different than looking at a Dictionary or a Bible or something.

On topic though, this whole trend of series and trilogies annoys me too, and I don't even read sci-fi or fantasy for the most part. I mean, I've read the classics of the genres, but what I've read and seen of the rest is that it's all derivative of a few touchpoints, so why not just read the touchpoints and be done with it? The worst part is that some of these authors probably do have something interesting to add or say, but they've got one book's worth of quality material that they then water down into 3 or 7 or 12 or more books until it's totally undetectable. It's ludicrous. Where are their editors? It all stems from wanting to copy LOTR, and Tolkien didn't even want LOTR to be a trilogy, his publisher made him do it.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It's all the various companies. Think about it. If you write a best selling solo story. It might improve sales of other books by that author. If you write a best selling continuing story, all the other books in the series will also sell well. More books = more money.

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Blast, whatever happened to writing books for the sake of writing stories? The money's nice and all, but if your just doin' it for money then won't it become a chore and not a joy? You might as well get job.....

Wait nevermind, most jobs don't pay as well as Writing books do they?

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's also easy for an author. They already have a fully realized world, so they can concentrate on just the new plot or addressing other concepts. For readers, it's easier for the casual fan to pick up something related to what they've already read, compared to trying something brand new.

-Tony!