Atlanta to move to Winnipeg?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, May 21, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

It was almost set and done that the Phoenix Coyotes were on their way to Winnipeg, where they were relocated in 95. And now it's speculated the Atlanta Trashers most probably be heading to Winnipeg. If that's to happen Winnipeg is heading back to the Western Conference leaving the Eastern Conference with 14 teams while the West has 16. Obviously that's impossible to happen cause of the Playoffs it's a confusing thing. So which team from the Western Conference you think will make the jump to Eastern Conference? Well what i read and heard unless it's a rumor: Detroit is rumourd that their unhappy in the Western Conference and would like to make the jump to the Est, Columbus already expressed an interested and told the NHL that their interested in making the jump to the East. So it's all a Geographical thing and the time zones are included. I am interested to see what's going to happen in the upcoming days.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I just hope things work out for winnipeg better this time around.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    When I read this thread title I imaged that episode from Futurama where they picked up Atlanta with a bunch of helicopters and dropped it in the ocean, except here it was Winnipeg.

But yeah, hope it does good to 'em.

4. Royal Zarak

Royal Zarak Member

Ebay:
    No offense to the Southern States but you people don't give a rat's behind about hockey. Get rid of Nashville, Phoenix, Altanta and bring back the Quebec nordiques and winnipeg jets!

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I don't really follow hockey, but how serious is this stuff? Like, I'm just asking because I've been hearing talk about Phoenix moving back to Winnipeg for like 10 years, so...

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

There's a Phoenix driving a Winnibego?

7. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

This is true.. i never cared about the Thrashers!

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am a Southerner and I love hockey.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    If Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, they won't be the Jets since that franchise is still owened by the Phoenix organization. The only reason why the Manitoba Moose got to wear Jets jerseys was because they were (are? I get mixed up with San Antonio's team too) the AHL team of the Coyotes at the time.

If anything, I could see a possible return to the Winnipeg Monarch's name, and likely not the Winnipeg Clubs. There is the issue (however) of the "other" Winnipeg Jets team that existed separate from the WHA team (which became the Monarchs) and eventually ended up as the Lethbridge Hurricanes. So I'm not sure where the legal ends of the Jets name could end up.

Then again, the Cleveland Browns were able to come back.

As far as a team moving out, the divisions are set up regionally, so there is limited movement to what happens with the alignment. I can see this:

Winnipeg to Northwest Division
    Minnesota to Central Division
    Nashville to Southeast Division

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Bring back the jets!!!

11. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I anxiously await official confirmation of the move and I will be at attendance of their first game!! :D 

12. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    While I do wish they can be the Jets again, I would prefer it were Phoenix that would move. I collect Winnipeg Jets and Phoenix Coyotes (and San Antonio Rampage, Manitoba Moose, Moncton Hawks blah blah blah) hockey cards and one franchise is almost too much as it is.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No offense to you, but your opinion is exactly that.

And why should the city of Winnipeg get another shot at an NHL franchise? They didn't support the Jets enough to keep the franchise the first time around.

14. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because we deserve one! :)  there are a lot of hardcore hockey fans in Winnipeg. We have a new arena that can support and NHL team. Nearly every Manitoba Moose game has been a packed house and I think this time around we can make this work! everyone deserves a second chance! :) 

15. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    Plus there is the fact that Winnipeg actually has a new NHL capacity arena. That's the main reason why they always come up as a moving destination, because they are ready NOW and do not require a couple of years to get an arena built and all that boring stuff.

16. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    If you look into the history if the Jets them leaving had nothing to do with a lack of fan support. There was no building, no ownership group and a very poor Canadian dollar.

Now Winnipeg has a state of the art building(one of the busiest in North America), two solid owners in MTS Center Owner Mark Chipman and Billionaire David Thompsom(the 17th richest man in the world). Add that the Canadian dollar is now outpacing the US dollar and all the pieces are in place.

On the flip side Atlanta isn't leaving because of lack of fan support either. There is no owner that wants to buy the team and keep it in Atlanta and there is no govenrment support(unlike Phoenix). Add the shere amount of comptetion for a sports fans dollar in Atlanta(MLB, NBA, NFL, even Nascar) comapred to Winnipeg where the team will be the top draw in town.

I saw some TV numbers the other day that were pretty interesting. Despite its size only 6000 sets on average in Atlanta were tuning in to watch the Thrashers during the week. This compared to 86,000 average veiwers for Buffalo and something like 177,000 for Edmonton Oiler games mid week.

Infomericals in Atlanta draw more than 6000 viewers, not a word of a lie. It was included in the article.

Those numbers pretty much say it all to me, smaller northern Hockey crazy markets will always be solid investements for the NHL in its new salary cap era. Many of the southern markets just aren't working out the way they hoped they would.

So I'm actually sorry that your losing your team because I know all to well exactly what that feels like, but the idea that Winnipeg doesn't deserve a second chance despiter the radical changes that have taken place, even though Atlanta was given a second chance, just doesn't seem like a reasonable take to me.