Atlanta Supercon November 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Voiceroy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    As I reported in this thread, G1 voice actor Gregg Berger and G1 Marvel Comics artist Herb Trimpe will be guests at Atlanta Supercon on November 21-23, 2008.

Also in attendance is Samantha Newark, who provided a couple guest voices on the G1 series.

But if you're as much of a fan of animated cartoons as I am, this is a really great event to attend with several guests being associated with popular cartoons.

I'm planning to be there all weekend, covering panels, doing interviews, and taking pics for ToonZone.net and sharing any TF-related news here as well.

But I'd also like to try again to do a TFW group meet for other members who will be there. I was thinking we'd try to meet for dinner again since our attempt at Dragon*Con was overwhelmingly attended by only two TFW members (thanks again for hanging out with me, Tekkaman Blade). And maybe afterwards we do a parts party sale/swap, followed by us winning at drinking. (Well, I don't drink alcohol except for an occasional sissy wine cooler, but I still like hanging out, and I'm told I'm fun at parties.)

I'm also planning to get in touch with Gregg Berger to see if he might be willing to join us for dinner too. Like I mentioned in the other thread, we've met and chatted on a few occasions, and we have a number of mutual friends/acquaintences. It's possible, but I make no promises. We'll see.

So, come on, Atlanta peeps. Are you with me?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'll try to make it. I'm not sure what my schedule will be in November.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll plan on dropping by this one.

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll be there!!

5. conbot

conbot Active Member

I'll see if I can go.

6. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm currently talking Gen1Fan into going. I'm down and Voiceroy I'm definately down for dinner, drinks and parts party. Does anyone know a good hotel? Hopefully where everyone will be staying?

7. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just have to see if I have the money as I have a few changes going on In my life right now. I'm hopping that I can get some extra cash here soon and be able to make the trip

8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I may not be able to make it more than one day, I'm currently teaching 4 classes and may be doing so again in Novemeber. Is there a date and time for the dinner?

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    So is anyone going to this? Anyone who has gone before, How was it?

10. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm down to go, I can get a round trip air plane ride for under $200. And I hope that i will have about $1000.00 to spend down there.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Bumpity-bump.

Just a reminder that this is *next weekend* and the con has added like half-dozen and more guests since I posted last.

I'd really like to try getting a group together this time--maybe for Friday night since I may have to leave Saturday around 6pm. But if Saturday works better for everyone I'll work it into my schedule.

So please post if you're going to make it and we'll discuss a meeting place/time.

Oh, and to gen1fan -- did you ever find a ride from the airport? I'm probably coming straight to the con from work, but I might actually be able to pick you up from the airport depending on what time your flight arrives. PM me if you still need a lift.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    This is the very first Atlanta Supercon. The Supercon people have had successful show runs for several years in south Florida and they're trying to expand into other markets.

They have a great guest line-up, especially if you're into anime and cartoons. In addition to all the other guests, I'm kinda excited about meeting the voice of Halo's Master Chief so I can pick his brain on doing VO for video games.

I'm also excited about this con because it's much more animation-focused than Dragon*Con and not as anime-focused as Anime Weekend Atlanta. I'm really looking forward to it.

13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I will ave less classes as of this week so I'll try to make it. Friday would be fine for me.

14. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Way to get my hopes up, man. Steve Downes isn't going to be at Atlanta Supercon. He WAS at Anime Supercon, which was two weekends ago according to the site (which took me a while to navigate through, whoever designed it did an absolutely horrible job).

Which really sucks because after seeing your post about Downes I told my girlfriend (who is a huge Master Chief fan) that I would get her something signed. Now I have to invent a time machine...

15. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Looks like Gregg Berger canceled too. Blargh.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I could've SWORN Downes was on there for ATL. Seriously, and not just for the anime con.

Guess I was wrong. Really sorry about that. I already had all my Halo stuff ready to get autographed.

Well, SUCK! Gregg was the whole reason I decided to go to the con in the first place. Crap on a cracker...

These Supercon people don't even announce cancellations apparently. That's a rather poor way to maintain your site and your pre-con announcements. A simple announcement for cancellations is actually kind of important for people who are planning to go.

Well, I'm getting in free on a media pass and there are still plenty of guests that I'm interested in seeing. I'm actually working on a project for Dana Snyder's website that I'm looking forward to discussing with him in person. And I have some other friends who will be there too so it should be fun.

I feel kinda guilty though. My wife broke a bone in her foot in five places (and we don't even know how the @#$% it happened), and while she's not in a wheelchair or on crutches, she's under doc's orders to rest up this weekend with her foot elevated.

...meanwhile, I'll be off partying at a con. So much for being a loving, caring husband... I think she's planning to stay at her sister's while I'm gone though.

Speaking of, anyone reading this got a hotel room in the area they might need a roommate for? I was thinking it might save me some gas if I stayed in the area Friday night and possibly Saturday night too, rather than driving an hour back home every night.

BTW, Shib_Prime, I'll bring those pics with me so we can get those caricatures done. And by "we" I mean you. :wink: 

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, and I was just in Atlanta too. :( 

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    This con got a write-up in the AJC today:

Love comics, cartoons? This is for you | ajc.com

And I'm not actually going to be able to make it at all now on Friday. I just got a call for a gig to Emcee and perform for an event in Social Circle on Friday night, so I'm going to have to bail on the con tomorrow. I'll still be there all day Saturday and Sunday though.

So if anyone else wants to join us for dinner or something on Saturday evening that would be cool. Just post in this thread or PM me and we'll work something out even if it's on short notice.

Shib_Prime, are you doing an artist table again?

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Let me know what day you decide as I only have time to attend one day. Maybe we could actually get a dinner with a couple people this time. Dragon Con was a bust.