At what point will economics affect toy buying?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Jan 22, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As I stated in another thread, I'm not too far from deciding where to call it quits on this toy collecting stuff.

Wal Mart AND TARGET have raised their prices. TRU and K-MART have already been too pricey for me.

I already resist the purchase of some HFTD's and have focused mainly on the CLASSICS / GENERATIONS / HFTS- he G1 re-do's. However, $12 for a deluxe? No Thanks.

I might make myself, since the figures I like come out in 4's, but I am constantly evaluating how much these things are worth it.

2. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Oh snap- I thought I put this in the toy forum.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the mods will move it :) 

I hear ya on the prices..I noticed WM went back up the day after Christmas..I only buy from TRU because I get coupons..and if they have a BOGO. Same for Kmart..they will have BOGO and/or buy 2/get 1 free. Target has sales, but my store is so small it doesn't really have a good selection..most of the time.

I think it has to come down to being more selective in your bot buying..I usually just buy the Autobots and really the main characters..and I try to skip all the repaints. The only bot that doesn't hold to is Optimus Prime. :thumb 

4. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've become WAY more selective, which is unfortunate. At some point, I'll have to become even more selective if I want these things bad enough... or I'll quit and just save up and get the occasional Masterpiece that comes.

Rodimus aint looking too bad.

Or I'll make my own.

Ya know, I was in TRU the other day and... let me ask you this: who is gonna pay $12 for the Ice Cream Truck twins? Maybe it was $11. But still...

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yeah, I became much more selective too. I´m skipping most of the movie style figs for Classics ones, since I already have a crapload of movie toys.

6. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

I'd love to be paying $12 for a deluxe! Here in Canada, deluxes range from $16.99 to $20.99, while scouts alone are $10.

7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Why would you do such a thing? You're past my threshold.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Different country, different economy.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Once I get a job, the toy buying will increase.

Really, right, now, the main thing it's doing to me is going back to my "one figure per mold" policy, with a few exceptions, all relating to classics. For instance, as I have Straxus I'm passing on Skullgrin, but on the other hand I'm getting Tracks and Wheeljack.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'll quit buying domestic product if deluxe prices get to the $18 range TRU decided to start charging for TFA Rodimus once they found out he was really popular.

Especially since as prices go up, we still see things like paint applications getting more and more cut back, despite us knowing they're selling a hell of a lot more toys now, and making much higher profits. Look at the average Cybertron toy's paint apps in any price point compared to what you see on the shelves today. It's obscene how much Hasbro has cut back since then. We rarely even get properly colored faction symbols anymore. When we DO get red or purple ones, we never get the white outlines.

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Already has. When they raised them up to 12 bucks. If the price is gonna go up, I might as well spend the extra bucks on a BETTER Takara version.

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I know what you are saying... and can't disagree.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Shit, man, I've never seen a deluxe run for $20. $17 is the highest I've ever seen them go.

And yeah, Scouts up here have always been $10.

14. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    When people start suc...sorry this a good site, but you get what I'm saying....these stores will create their own retail suicide, but when impatient addicts can't wait so they can make a feedback videos or get a new credit and pay double,triple the price, can you blame this plastic crack dealers for raising the price? But if they're gonna raise the price, get better products...its like wendys jr bacon chz burger was 99 cent, but you got crappy bacon, but for 30 more cent you can get crunchy bacon....

I will become very picky then....no movies figs for sure....

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, so far I have yet to see any leaked DOTM toy that I'd be willing to buy- esp. at higher prices.

16. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

Does anybody think this is all because of the new influx of short-term buyers from the movie and cartoon hype. Hasbro trying to grab all they can while they have the most popular property for the moment?

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I think its because of a weak dollar. And because of what you said.

18. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    A weak dollar has a lot to do with it.

Gasoline is going up again, groceries are climbing higher... everything but my paycheck.

One of these days I'm gonna switch my profit sharing to gold.

19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

It's getting closer to my limit every day. I'm not sure what the tipping point is, but I know for instance at $11, I will be skipping nearly every scout that comes out. At $12 and higher, I'll be very selective about which deluxes I'll buy. Voyagers need to be $25 or less. And I just try to avoid any size class larger than that.

20. anabolik1

anabolik1 Banned

Speaking to the title of thread, the economy has always been affecting toy buying - now and before - it just has varying effects on different people with some experiencing no effects at all.

On a personal note, I'm indifferent to WM and Target and other mainstream "brick and mortar" store pricing cause I typically don't buy figures from there cause I go after Japanese releases, real exclusives (those really limited in nature) and rarer figures. So I'm used to paying import prices anyway. Moreover, when I do purchase a mainstream release figure domestically, I get a discount on everything at my local stores so the figures are cheap.