At What Point Is It Considered Not a Toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Aug 12, 2010.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Just wanted to ask everyone their opinion about when a toy is no longer a toy?

Is it the price point and if so, at what price tag do you associate it with?

Is it the rarity of an action figure?

Is it the complexity in its design?

What are your thoughts?

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That is a really good question.

I would have to say that anything that can be picked up at mass retail (rare or not, and ignoring distribution issues) would fall under the "toy" category. I looks at things that come from specialty shops fall more under the "caollectable" category. Not to say that you cannot play with them.

I do tend to keep my son away from the pricey toys and let him play with the rest... Although he does like to play with the G3 Trailer so that kind of throws my theory right out the window. Hmmm....

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    If it has a play pattern, it's a toy. If it just sits there and looks pretty, it's something else.

Which is not to say some toys don't defy being played with in the same way your average off-the-rack figure does, either for fragility or price concerns, but they're STILL toys.

D/L

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh gosh, hard question to answer. The only toys I consider as "non toys" in my collection are Alternity and Masterpiece Transformers. Everything else was designed with a child in mind so they will forever be toys.

5. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When something costs $$$ or even $$$$ but you can not swoosh it around because it is a) will break at the slightest touch b) inbalance in weight distribution so everything will fall off once you active "anti-gravity" mode.

Yes, CMS God Raijin-Oh, I am talking (partially) about you :D 

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Hmm i think it depends while MP are technically toys i dont consider those toys the intricate designs and transformation and the fragility of them make them more of a display collectible. And while ROTF OP is a complex toy it is not fragile. So i guess for me if the item is fragile and cannot with stand normal play well its a collectible not a toy.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Anything you play with is a toy. If it just sits on the shelf forever collecting dust, it's a collectable.

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If you're afraid of letting a kid near it, it's lost toy status. The only toy I have that has lost toy status is ROTF leader Prime, but only because my cousin cut himself while playing with it.
    (Those chest panels!)

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It's not a toy if it's a statue.

Otherwise, it's a toy.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This one right here.

11. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I totally agree. but i think my gf would disagree. :( 

MP, alternity, etc. are all toys to me.

12. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    When I can't play with it: Transform it, pose it, etc then it is no longer a toy and is instead a collectible statue. I'm not a big fan of collectible statues.

Things that make it so I can't play with a TF:

1) Fragility: If it is likely to break when I handle it (GPS, etc) then it's now a statue.
    2) Expense: If it's so expensive that I'm afraid to play with it - statue.
    3) Crap-factor: If it sucks so much I hate it (floppy titaniums, etc) then it's now a statue.

I like toys. I don't like statues much.

13. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I think it has to do with 2 things: 1) Utility (related to complexity) and 2) Price.

If you have something that is too complicated or delicate to actually "play" with once in a while, then it ceases to be a "toy" in my eyes. Similarly, if an item costs more than you'd be willing to accidentally snap a wing off of or that you likely couldn't replace right away, then it becomes more on an investment (from the perspective that you might want to sell it and recoup your expense or make a profit some day). Most of my transformers don't fall into either of these categories, largely b/c I've stopped buying "toys" that I don't plan on opening at some point. Personal preference.

14. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

For me it's all price. I wouldn't want kids playing with my MP's, and if I had a kid I wouldn't buy him a $100 toy to toss around, bang together, etc. I'd buy him one, but I'd explain that it's a "special toy" that's more for display.

If we bring complexity into the mix then you can cross most movie Leader figs off the toy list too, but for $35 I'd consider them a toy because they're much easier to replace than a $70+ toy.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I view it as a price thing. Even if an older toy was released at retail and was clearly intended as a toy (older G1 stuff and/or harder to find stuff that's still sealed), if it costs me $100+ to buy it, I'm not buying it for a little kid to play with for fear of what happens when it breaks, especially if it's not something you can just glue back and it's still semi-functional. I have no problem buying my little cousins any of the newly released stuff that hits toy shelves, but even if they got into Transformers in a big way, checked out older toys, and told me how they really wanted Expensive Toy X, I wouldn't be very thrilled to pick it up for them off of eBay or wherever unless I thought there was a pretty good chance they would not play with it...which would kind of defeat the purpose of buying it for them, because they're still kids and should be playing with their toys.

16. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All transformers are toys. If you can play with them, they are toys....We're all just a bunch of kids.! =)

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Even actual cars are toys to a lot of people. if you can interact with it and have fun, yeah. toy.

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    To me a transformer toy needs to at least transform. But I'm seeing more and more toys on Transformer shelves that don't actually transform.

19. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

That about sums exactly what I was going to say, but in a lot fewer words

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'm going to have to go with these as well.