AT&T DSL vs. Time Warner Cable

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys,

We might be moving to a house in January and at this point in time, U-Verse is not available in the area. Thus far, they have been the most stable and fastest internet I have had.

So, it kinda sux that I'm losing them, but now I am looking for the next best thing. The only DSL available to me is AT&T's pro setup, which is 3MBPS (we were at 12 with Uverse). I'm not sure what Time Warner has available, but they have had a bad rap here lately. Does anyone here use them, and as gamers, how does their service affect gameplay? Years ago when I had them, I kept getting dropped from games because I was living in an apartment, and I guess everyone had them and it affected my connection.

Also, my fiance works from home, so being 100% connected without shitty pops is really important (which is why Uverse was so awesome... in almost a year and a half, we have only had one drop in service, and a quick reboot fixed it).

In terms of TV, is Time Warner better than Direct TV, for example?

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I know nothing about American internet providers but I've heard nothing but complaints regarding Time Warner. Now I have no idea if it's just a heavily disliked organisation so everything they do is considered to be crap or if they geneuinely provide terrible service but anything I've come across online always shits on them.

I know exactly what its like to go from an awesome connection to a shit one, you have my sympathy :eek: 

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, Recall, it's almost bad enough that I would consider not moving to an otherwise nice house. 3MPBS!!! That's like fucking dialup.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I live in a village whose nickname is "Where on Earth" I went from a solid 10Mb living in Manchester, down to a paultry 5 which in all honesty is closer to 2 when we moved here :( 

though we are happy with have unlimited download allowance, where others cap it and charge more.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I don't know anything about Time Warner's customer service but I would avoid DSL if possible.

Might be that since I do tech support for cable internet, I might be a little biased ;) 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, at this point, any opinion (even a bias one) is welcomed. I just want stability and speed. I don't want Netflix to stutter if I'm playing DC Universe online, and I don't want to be dropped every five minutes from a game. If cable does that well, then hell ya.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Time Warner completely sucks and charges way too much.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you use, Red?

9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I have Time Warner DSL.

Netflix runs like crap
    Lag during peak use hrs on LIVE/PSN
    I use wireless on most devices and it tends to lose strength frequently.

I'll go to Cable or dish eventually .

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, so you have Time Warner, but it's DSL? So do you think Time Warner's Cable internet would work better?

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Upgrading to the highest speed may help(if it's available) but trying to talk to customer service is a hassle and the contracts suck.

And avoiding wireless should fix some of the issues(i use it cause i have stuff all over the house that cable lines can't/don't reach)

12. nehushtan

nehushtan Escalation Jedi

I have Time-Warner and I love it.

I previously had AT&T and the standard bandwidth was terribly capped. Everyone shared the same line in the neighborhood so when you're neighbor signed on your cap dropped even further down.

Time-Warner has provided consistent bandwidth the entire time with consistent dedicated bandwidth. We have 2 PS3's in the home with my nephew spamming Black Ops daily and me in Escalation and the rest of the home using bandwidth for common net use with no problems.

Because of my bad experience with AT&T I would not return to their services. I see the way they have their network set up and Time-Warner is far more generous in terms of dedicated bandwidth per home. At least, they are in my area...

I have complete access to all my bandwidth at all times regardless of my neighbors actions. If possible avoid dealing with the local branch and shoot straight for the corporate offices of Time-Warner as they give slightly better deals. I got high speed locked at $44 for the next year and the local branch charges $49 for the same bandwidth.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Dude, I wish I had better news for you, but I don’t.
    I had Time Warner a few years ago.
    It was cable internet so the speed was good, but the customer service was horrible.

I remember when Verizon was coming into our neighborhood and they cut the line down the street.
    I called in and told Time Warner the address where the line was cut.
    In spite of my detailed description they just sent a tech out to check my service two days later.
    He said that our service appeared to be fine, but apparently the line was cut down the street.
    So, they sent a ‘line technician’ two days later.

In fact, a guy at work just switched because their customer service is so bad.
    My sister has DSL and her speeds aren’t great, but they’re competent.
    Hopefully, your DSL will be consistent and fast enough too.

Unless the area you are moving to is completely rural there should be another option in the works sometime soon.

I’m glad you haven’t had any issues, but I’ve honestly never heard that before from anyone.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks.

Well the guy who I spoke to with ATT said that they had recently met to discuss expansion that between now and June they would have the entire area covered. When I told him my exact address, he said that it might be as early as March for that area. My biggest issue is my fiance working from home. So in essence, it's stability over speed. But I'm about to hop on DC Universe, so I don't want to be crawling either. And more importantly, if Uverse might be coming in March, I don't want to marry anyone for a year.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thread hijack! Smasher we are signature bros. Tron vs. Street Fighter *fist bump*

Are AT&T and Time Warner the only providers available in your new area Prowl?

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My sister has DSL through some company in Conroe -I don't remember the name, but it's not one of the major players.

As far as stability goes; yes, it's always on.

I've logged into work from her house and never lost my VPN and we streamed movies via Netflix at the same time.

But she never gets the HD options at her house. :( 

*fist bump* :) 

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, but there others may as well be me walking to Netflix, picking up the movie on VHS and walking it home as an alternative to streaming.

18. nehushtan

nehushtan Escalation Jedi

Well, I actually did have 1 issue because of some idiot who was dispatched to disconnect my sister's Time-Warner service who disconnected mine too. That made me angry. They hire independent contractors to do a lot of work for them. The customer service is hit or miss.

It use to be excellent but now it depends on who you get when you call. In terms of customer service they do suck. In terms of the actual network performance I have not had any issues with them in over 3 years now and that was the part I love about T-W.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TW is contract only right? Only yearly?