2D Artwork: Astrotrain

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Blitz., Jan 6, 2010.

1. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    been a fair few weeks since I've posted anything since I have a retail job and frankly the holidays really takes it out of me, but with some spare time I've managed to at least draw this (as well as a few fail-tastic other drawings that wont see the light of day on the net)

I didn't really want to change much from the classic Astrotrain look, really the only thing I really had in mind from the start was to make the train parts more visible. so I played with a few ideas as to how to store the train wheels and classics Octains seemed to be an easy and practical way to get them to work with out using panels. The arms were the other big issue rather then having them fold into the body like the G1 toy the chest opens up and they fold in something like Alt Hound/Swindle. For the rest its mostly like the G1 toy apart form the odd little bit here and their. I did change the head as I dont really like the animation model but I do think the toy had a cool head so its a sort of pick and mix of the two.

[​IMG]

edit now with colour

Attached Files:

2. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    Looks amazing those I hate to be a critic, there is something off with his face that I cannot put my finger on.

3. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, body looks awesome, but the face is slightly odd looking. Thats not a slate, I cant draw anywhere near as good, just a bit of friendly....erm....whatever.....advice?! You know what I mean! :eek: 

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the face has been slightly tweaked now (not in this pic but the coloured one) so what ever it is your seeing it might be gone in the next pic. also colour wise its ehobby all the way so far

5. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Very nice work overall Blitz, always like the thought you put into 'm, especially liking the gun in this one. Couple crits though:

Feet seem to be uneven. Not sure if the amount of foreshortening isn't slightly overdone on the leftside leg. Face is prolly due to the position of the nose (too low, too short?). Last crit, given his altmodes, wouldn't he have more rounded parts? Very sharp angles for a steam train and a spaceshuttle on every part.

6. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Wow, you never cease to amaze me, your technical skill is fantastic, the proportions on the leg look fine to me, but the one thing I noticed as well seems to be his face, and if you don't mind the critique, I think faces is your only weak point, part of the character of these... characters is in their faces since they are robots, and if you could nail them I think you'd be better than some of the artists doing the official TF comics, you seem to space their eyes a little farther apart and make their noses really low, and they have large mouths, that's your style it seems, and that's fine, but if you could/want to change it your drawings would be perfect, I messed around with his face in photoshop for a second, and I think it makes him looks ten times better, if I'm outta' line just let me know, I'm just trying to help.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Body looks awesome. My only critique is about the face but CryoPrime made good improvement... Of course is up to you accept it or not.

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Dude, that looks awesome.

9. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

It looks pretty good although I'm not really sure the train parts are all that more visible. Astrotrain isn't a character I'm so familiar with though so maybe I just don't know what to look for I guess. It might seem a little trivial, but he seems a little cheerful to me. It's a small quibble I know.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for your replys... honestly I don't like the changes it looks crushed and he has a massive chin with his cheek bones ending below his mouth. It might be the lack of highlights and shadows that are throwing it off

11. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Could be as you have the top end of the nose drawn, but not the inbetween as the B/W appears to have his nose start only halfway between his eyes and mouth (top end is hardly noticable without more hints). So yeah, shading may help that.

Hmm, though I agree the eyes seem far apart as well, they are about an eye away from one another, just not where 'they should be' with respect to the face. So perhaps it is that they may seem too close to the edge and no indentation at the eyes? I'm not sure, but that might be causing it.

Perhaps what might be throwing of some people, is that you used the helmet as a part of the face and head proportions, rather than a helmet around a face. His entire forehead is part of his helmet and with standard sizes, there's not much room for a lot of head inside the helmet bit. With regards to the mouth, I think you should simply see what happens if you make it a bit less wide, that would make him less of a characature face already.

Whether you do though is of course up to you. :) 

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    colours are up (posted in my first post)

13. heatherbeast

heatherbeast Member

Oh, hooray! These are absolutely gorgeous. :) 

14. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    Amazing job with the colorings and the face works for me now also.

15. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks a hell of a lot better coloured in - nice work!!!

16. waal74

waal74 ghost of starscream

I love this character, is one of my favorites, and this work looks great!

17. Clu

Clu Panzergeneral

Nice piece Blitz!

Thanks for sharing.

Clu

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks guys. I'm thinking of doing Sand Storm next (a much overlooked character imo) or maybe SkyFire

19. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Oh, go with Sandstorm I love the head his toy had in G1.

20. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Awesome Astrotrain right there, Blitz. :)