Minor/Repaint: Astrotrain with Prototype Arms

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by bradforj, May 26, 2010.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is currently a WIP. I saw an Astrotrain mock-up on another site and realized that he was originally intended to have better arms, unlike the gimpy arms he ended up with. So I am working on giving Astrotrain extendable arms that will still fit in train/shuttle mode without any change in appearance! So far, I have attached the arm extension part. This is rather difficult due to the way Astrotrain's shoulder joint is constructed.

The cool thing is that almost all of the work can be repro'd and flipped for the other arm, only the piece that will have the other hand on it will need to be done again. I will probably offer these as upgrade kits once it is finished!

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good, hope all works out well, cause I'd go for a set of arms for him.

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks promising. I hope it works out for you.

4. bradforj

News Credits:
    updated progress

It is fully extendable while still being able to fit in the original space in the alt modes. This is such a tight little space to cram so much arm into. I had to hollow out the fist so the upper arm shaft has someplace to go when retracted! Next up will be drilling a fist hole (once the green stuff cures).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Oh hell yes! I've always imagined doing this to Astrotrain, but there's no way in hell I'll do it to my Takara collection one. I love that it doesn't alter the appearance in alt mode. Keep up the good work!

6. bradforj

News Credits:
    I originally intended to give this a straight set of arms, exactly like the prototype. But the temptation to add an elbow was overwhelming, so I have done it! I had the hardest time figuring a way to give him elbows, then I decided to use a headmaster shoulder joint :)  Here is the new and improved replacement arm, broken down to show how it will go together. These will be off to to my repro source late next week, and I will be getting a couple of sets of these parts done for final improvements. Then they will go back for production of Astrotrain upgrade kits! Longer arms, PLUS elbow articulation!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NICE! Now.. if only you could rework the waist/hip/leg area of the toy, you'd have a super posable G1 figure! Now that's something we would all like :D