Astonishing X-Men,,,

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Infosaur, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

WHAAAAAAAT?:jawdropper: 

2. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What?

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not entirely sold on Bianchi's art, but Ellis's writing is already leagues better than Whedon's. I'm actually looking forward to the next issue (assuming we're off of the "once every four-five months" schedule the book used to have). For the first time in years, Astonishing X-Men is a good book again.

Oh, and did you notice how the issue took way longer than three minutes to read and had significant plot advancement? How cool is that?

4. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Oh, hell, was this out this week? Crap, back to the comic store for me.

I dropped X-Men in general after Morrison left, but I'll try anything Warren Ellis writes at least once.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'm yet to read anything by Ellis that I did not like. However, something about his taking over this book makes me wary. Maybe it's because I keep seeing Storm on the covers and she justs seems out of place to me.

Or maybe it's that I find it annoying that every time a team book changes writers, the first thing the new guy does is change the roster. At least give the original team a story before you go shake things up.

6. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

From what I understand, Ellis was asked to use that line up by the editors there.

Something along those lines. The team's lineup wasn't his idea, anyhow.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Ah.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bianchi's panel design impressed me. I'm a fan of his art to begin with, but it wasn't until recently that I noticed that his sequential panels were quite good. Story is okay so far, its a bit much to take in at the moment.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I wasn't sold on the art either. More so the coloring actually. it was dark and muddy. But the story more than made up for it. Fantastic read. I just wish it would have come out last week so I could have gotten Ellis to sign it at the con.

And to think, I was going to drop the title

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Actually I was reffering to Kitty and WTF happned at the end of the Breakworld saga.

I dunno, I don't like this "Yet another relaunch story"

I think I'll drop the title, I've got to save up for Animated toys. :D 

11. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I wanna know how the hell the whole breakworld story ended. Didn't they leave it unfinished?

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It finished in the Astonishing X-men Annual #1 a few weeks ago. Issue was cool but felt too much like C.S.I. than X-men to me. But I liked that it took a lot longer to read than the usual comic. Also wish they would have explained Colossus' absence.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The aliens shot a really big bullet at the Earth but Kitty made it intangible and is now stuck in it as it travels across the universe. Meanwhile the rest of the X-Men beat up the bad guys. It wasn't as bad as the ending to the Danger arc, but it still sucked.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Why does the artist draw nipples so huge on men? Also if the cells of the dead guy were ignited... how the hell did wind blow them out? And put on your street gear? Fuck this book was awful. Screamed of Ellis's relaunch of the 'Counter X' titles a few years back.

It may have taken longer to read than a Whedon story but that was mostly because I was dozing off and not enjoying the dialogue in the least. This is the worst Storm depiction I've ever read. Her exchange with Emma? Painful.

For the first time ever I hope they make Emma evil again so she can be spared this shit existence.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I haven't been interested in X-Men for years, but if Ellis is writing it, I might be convinced to pick up an issue or two.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i read this last night, and am not entirely sold on it...its like CSI:xmen...i may get the next couple issues, but i'm not sure...even if the story gets better, i just dont like the art...

17. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Finally got this and gave it a couple reads. I love Ellis' way of writing the Beast. Perfect.

Storm was actually all right here...I haven't read many comics with her in 'em since the Claremont days, but she was one of the X-Men that annoyed me most back then. This new version..not bad.

The art I'm okay with, other than not caring for how dude draws the Kitty-Beast. But then, apparently no one outside of Frank Quietly or Ethan Van Scier can do this version of Dr. McCoy very well, so I'll let it go.

18. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Not interested in anything X-Men-related until they resolve Kitty's situation. Leaving her on that bullet and moving on, even though they think they've exhausted their options, is unacceptable and completely out of character.

19. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I LOVE X-Men. I'll read/watch anything with them in it, pretty much.

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Even the bad stuff? did you actually read Astonishing X-Men 25? Or was this a blanket statement without purpose?

If you read it, what did you think of it? I personally thought it was a poor continuation of the "Astonishing" brand, even after the lull beyond Joss's first work.