Astonishing X-Men (the newest one) - with Spoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by OmegaScourge, Aug 24, 2006.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

ok..this wasnt that great. the whole Logan/Hank bit wasnt needed. It was a slow paced read with Logan takling way too much...and they should of left the Danger Room monster alone cause that was a really bad story itself.

and the question now is: Who's the White Queen???

If its the real Emma Frost, then who's the Emma Frost stuck down below?

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Wasnt there a guy in the hellfire club that could change the way he looked with psychic powers or something? I dont remeber as I'm going off the fox-men cartoon.

I thought the story was pretty good, also we finally got to see who's to destroy ord's planet. Didnt see that comming

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Mastermind, a mutant with illusion powers. He's dead.

Now, as for this issue...

GET ON WITH IT, ALREADY!

This book only comes out once every other month. With that kind of schedule, there's no excuse for it to be so slow-paced. Scaredy-Wolvie is kind of funny, but not enough so to devote so many valuable pages to him. At this rate, I just know we're going to run into a crap, rushed ending like we got with the first two arcs. I like Whedon, but he doesn't have a very good handle on properly pacing his comics.

Astonishing got a lot of love from me when it started, but as things keep going so slowly, and the arc endings keep being so disappointing, and especially with the significant rise in quality of Uncanny and Adjectiveless, I'm just losing any sense of excitment for it. It's gone from being an anticipated "must-have" to "Oh, right, I forgot that book exists. Meh."

4. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I missed the last issue, so I was a little confused as to what had happened, but I still enjoyed it. I especially loved Kitty's reaction to the White Queen.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It's been a steady downhill fall since the end of the first arc. I'm going to finish this arc, and that's it. I'm done. Yay! We're back to 1 decent X-Comic....and it's Brubaker writing it.

6. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I liked the pacing. I love the comedic drama style that Joss has, which calls for little side gags like Wolverine and Hank. Also, it is no longer bi-monthly. They have given it monthly status. I'm now very curious as to what the thing is that they want Kitty to break into. The White Queen might be Maddy Pryor with her molecules rearranged to look like Emma.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Adjectiveless is quite well written, too. It's just hampered by Bachalo's shitty art. :( 

8. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I liked it. But then Whedon/Cassady just doing Kitty is enough for me I guess. And I found the Wolverine stuff hilarious.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

SNORE!

I was so bored reading the issue. However I still think it's the best X Book out now. Which is sad becasue it's not that good. I'd probably like Uncanny except I loathe space stories. But I do like Cap which Bru is writing so I know it's not him.

10. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

His art was bad in the #188 but I think that he did a very good job in #189.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty good issue overall for me. Really growing fond of Kitty. The big reveal of "Perfection" was kind of a dissapointment. I was hoping it would be someone else.. *coughdarkphoenixcough*

12. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I agree with that last bit. When I think of Colossus, I think tank, not world destroyer. But it makes sense from the story's perspective since they did resurrect him in the first place. Maybe the Legacy virus was something that Breakworld didn't have antibodies for?

But some version of Dark Phoenix would have been more appropriate overall to the X-Men's larger story. A bit redundant, but fitting.

13. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    "Yeahbuhwhat?" Best line in the whole issue, and actually damn close to what I myself said when I saw that page.

In any case, yeah, the first half was a little slow...I was concerned. But, when Kitty took out Emma? And the real objective was revealed? I was happy.

Plus, it was all worthwhile to discover about White Queen and Collossus.

14. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

We don't really knwo about White Queen yet. We'll have to wait for next month to know what is actually going on.