Astonishing X-Men #23

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switch625, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

SPOILERS

"To me, my X-Men. Let's finish this."

Hell yeah. Cyclops rules.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

That is so not a spoiler.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I thought it was well done. But to tell the truth it will all depend on how it ends. Besides it'll turn out that all the x-men on earth are Skrulls anyway. Only way you can explain that many wolverines. Wouldn't surprise me after this week's Illuminati.

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Tekkaman Blade is a skrull too.

Glad that Cyclops is being used well. I haven't reviewed the issue in detail though. Looks good and it has substance to it.

5. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I loved the double-layered dialogue. Gonna have to go back to the previous issue to see how they lined up. Whedon is the man!

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I haven't read the issue. The tri-monthly schedule for this book has just killed it for me. But this may be the first cool thing Cyke has done in YEARS. Just that quote reminds me of why I like the character - Cyclops, the first X-Men, heir to Xavier's Dream. He has surpassed Xavier in terms poor Chuck lately. Thank you Joss for this glimmer of hope in a character I had lost faith in thanks to Morrison. I hope Messiah CompleX can continue to have Cyclops be the true leader of the X-Men.

7. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Amen.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    On the whole, I didn't care all that much for the issue. It was pretty typical for Astonishing: half the time is spent trying to remember what the hell happened last issue, and by the time you do it's over. The plot is still pretty generic and the dialogue is strong (as one would expect from Whedon). By and large, I was underwhelmed. The only real saving grace were those last few pages and the very impressive reminder of exactly why Cyke is the X-Men's leader.

On a slightly related note, I looked at the New Exiles preview in the back of this issue. No Blink and no Longshot = no Switchblade reading it. :thumbdown 

9. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

Dudes, what the hell happens in this issue? I read a review saying that it's an amazing comic book... so, any total-spoiler-post? Pleeeease!

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Pretty much the X-Men played the evil guy right into their hands through telepathic conversation. They made up the entire conversation in the previous issue because they knew how the evil alien dudes would react. They knew that they would kill and resurrect Cyclops to find out about the Levathian which was entirely made up. They also knew that could surprise the aliens by doing exactly the opposite of what they were saying, so instead of running, they came right at them. Wolverine and Armor purposely got captured, Colossus and Kitty went and found the good alien. Also Cyclops was not powerless the whole time, he was hiding his beams somehow.

Maybe he can turn them on and off now. That would be a interesting development.

11. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

This review made me hungry... can you comment it?

http://comicsnexus.insidepulse.com/articles/71764/2007/11/04/advance-review-astonishing-xmen-23.html

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy crap, this issue kicked so much ass. Wolverine's "Excalisuck" comment. The psychic team planning and Kitty messing up and Wolverine cracking up. And Then Cyclops just unloading like we've always wanted. Freaking amazing.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Heh, I forgot about Excalisuck. I think someone should do a rip-off comic called ExcalisuX!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Good issue, I really hope that Cyclops could now have the ability to control his optic blast, but they'd never do anything cool with it so oh well...

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It was 'meh', like the whole run has been, excluding the first 6 issues.

:(