Astonishing X-Men #14 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gears, May 2, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did anyone else read this issue? I thought it was pretty good. The main focus of the issue is Emma Frost disecting Cyclops thoughts and it's quite interesting how she views Cyclops mental state. She tells Cyclops that he secretly wishes he could be Wolverine. Also she tells him the only reason Xavier picked him to lead the X-men was because he was the weakest of the first group and Xavier had to give Cyclops something to be proud of. Basically Xavier felt sorry for Cyclops and Cyclops couldn't even stay leader long enough before Storm became leader. She gets into alot more detail and you really need to read the issue to get the full effect...And after the way Cyclops ends up at the end of the issue (as a powerless vegetable), I think it's pretty apparent the White Queen is back to her old ways. :thumb  Other highlights of the issue include the part during Colossus' and Kitty's consumation of their relationship. What's funny is Kitty phases out of the bedroom and to 1 floor below naked as she has her intimate moment. :lol  The next morning when Wolverine sniffs it on the couple was pretty funny as well. "Bout time." I can't wait to see what Cassandra Nova has in store for Beast...Great issue!

2. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Cyclops getting owned is always good. Also, Nova's back? Sweet.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Amazing issue. Really, I thought it was great. The only thing that worries me is how Emma's actions in Astonishing will affect her in the other X-books; Whedon's basically said, "I don't care what's happening in the rest of the 616 (ie, Decimation), I'm going to tell the story I set out to tell." One would think that, unless Emma just makes everyone forget about all this afterwards, she'll be kicked off the team or something.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I can't stand Emma. 100% more interesting as a villain. I really hope she returns to those roots.

As for the issue...meh. Whedon's been one letdown after another. The first arc was outstanding. After that...ugh. The only highlight of the issue was the Kitty/Peter thing.

5. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I liked it, but am really lost on a lot of the backstory with not being very familiar with the Morrison run, etc. I have no real idea who Cassandra Nova is, or most of this new version of the Hellfire Club. Most of my X-Men knowledge came from the 90s cartoon. And is Emma really powerful enough to stop Cyke from using his eyebeams even with both eyes open? Whoa.

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    So, all you need to know about Cassandra Nova is that she is Xavier's twin and everything that he is not. She's the one responsible for the Genosha massacre a few years back, and she terrorized several X-Men, most notably Beast, by taking over Xavier's body, until the X-Men finally figured out how to take her down.

7. Agent Rodimal

Agent Rodimal Banned

Unfortunately (especially since he's my favorite character), Emma is right about Cyke on some of those points, but wrong about him being the weakest of the original five. He's actually the strongest, which is why she had to take him down first.

It sounds like she played on his own insecurities. Scott has never been able to see himself as he is, or as others see him (except maybe with Jean). He's more than just a field commander, he's a leader. People follow him not because he tells them to, but because they want to, because they believe in him and his cause.

Even Wolverine has said countless times that he can't stand Cyclops, but when the chips are down and it's go time, there's nobody else better and there's nobody else he'd rather have watching his back.

I can't wait to get this issue, and I can't wait to see how this all plays out. If Emma can do this to someone she truly loves, how hard is she going to hit the rest of the team.

Oh and, I see a massive optic blast in the Hellfire's future.

Out

8. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I absolutely loved Morrison's run (other than the beak stuff), and the fact that astonishing seems to be the only title that acknowledges that run really keeps me interested. Personally I am enjoying this new run, and am looking forward to seeing where this is going. Cant really say I enjoyed the danger room story-arc though...

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I liked the Wolverine moment with Kitty and Peter. otherwise Iam not as floored as I was with the first arc. but this is definately better than the second "Danger" arc.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

stop kidding yourselves...Emma aint turning bad....hopefully....

and if she does, hopefully the next writer acts as though it never happened...which has been going around alot lately. :D 

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm really hoping Emma will redeem herself. She's one of the only characters being written well in the current X-Books.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Maybe of the original, but that's it. Cyclops is a good leader, no where near the best though. He also has a superiority complex. He'll leave, then come back sometime later and assume he's leader again.

Remember the time he came back and challenged Storm for leadership? She kicked his ass. She made him give up. The best part was that she didn't even have her powers at that point in time.

I'd follow Storm over Cyclops any day of the week.