Astonishing X-Men #13 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primevil, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Before I start, I just have one question: Why the hell didn't I pick up this series sooner?!

For my first experience with Joss Whedon's writing, I really enjoyed this issue. I'm not terribly sure what to think of Emma's involvement with Cassandra Nova, considering "Here Comes Tomorrow" is the only story I've read with her as a character.

The scene with Wolverine and the students in the "new" Danger Room was awesome. The minute the lights went out, I was in hysterics.

It's good to see that Shadowcat and Colossus are getting closer since he came back.

And the end of the issue was priceless. The idea of Cyclops paying bills made me laugh because the idea of superheroes (especially the X-Men) paying bills is something one just doesn't think about. And Emma wearing his "favorite outfit"? :D  (that's all I have to say)

I also picked up Astonishing X-Men Saga (one of the reasons I decided to get #13). It was a nice primer for the series and covered 12 issues surprisingly well, even if it did remind me of a children's picture book.

2. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Great way to start the series back off. Wolverine's line about the class with Professor Summers on page 4 was one of the best moments I've seen in a while.

3. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Can't wait to pick this up. Astonishing really has been one of my favorite X-books in a long time, and really is one of the few books where I always look forward to the next issue. Plus I really dig Whedon's writing and Cassiday's artwork:rock 

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't know. It's nice seeing Astonishing again (hopefully better than the dreadful Dangerous arc), but I wasn't especially wowed by it. A step up from issue 12, but not as awe-inspiring as some of the early issues.

I'm curious to see where the "evil Emma" plotline is going and whether or not Whedon has totally missed the fact that Cassandra Nova is Ernst. Actually, I have a bit of a hunch that not all of Emma's associates are really there.

Kitty and Piotr together again? Meh. I'm still surprised that they're considered to be such a power couple, in spite of the fact that they only dated for a brief time in the early '80s.

Also, I know the Wolverine fight was meant to highlight how cool Hisako is, but realistically I don't see how Wolverine could easily take out Mercury in a fight. Claws aren't going to do much good against someone made out of liquid metal.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty good issue. Kinda confusing ending. I'm still hoping the person under the cloak turns out to be Dark Phoenix.

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

After reading the first trade at the comic store today, I'm seriously considering adding this series to my pull list. I love Weadon's work.

7. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

This issue kicked all sorts of ass! I bet phoenix is the cloaked one.

8. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Nova is Ernst? Wha?

9. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Yes, Cassandra Nova is Ernst. It was explained in Morrison's last arc, the one set in the future.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I think they've finally retconned that whole shitty Morrison run out of existance for the most part.

As for the issue. Meh. The first 6 issues were spectacular. The rest have been....average.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

all i can say is "DON'T F**K with the Scott/Emma thing"

Jean should stay dead, Emma made Scott more interesting and less sucky...and X-Men: The End (The real last story), Scott and Emma are together, so yeah

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Wow. I thought morrisons run was the best thing to happen to the x men since claremont.

13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Jean's alive though, I mean she returns in Phoenix Endsong. It's like no X-Writer read this story.

And Scott's still sucky and boring :p  But I hope they keep Emma and Scott together for a long time.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

That whole idea was canceled out. It was sort of an "Age of Apocolypse" idea where they won to rewrite the universe. So technically it never happened. However the rest of the morrison run did. Thus Cassandra is still supposed to be Ernst with no memory of her previous life.

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Who the heck is Ernst?

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Yes, and that's my point. Aware of it or not, Ernst is Cassandra Nova.

17. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I gotta concur, who is Ernst?

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    The bald mutant ugly mutant who was in Xorn's Special Ed class.

19. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Agreed emphatically. Pretty much the only original stuff X-men has seen in nearly 20 years. I am enjoying astonishing plenty, but some of the Morrison stuff was outstanding (although I admit some of it was pretty bad like beak and his girlfriend...).

20. noizu

noizu Well-Known Member

About Ernst - when Cassandra says "I kept you alive" and Emma replies "and I returned the favor" it kind of implies that Emma restored Cassandra's mind and memories after she was trapped inside Stuff's body as Ernst...

still not sure i like having her in league with Cassandra but the explanation of her diamond form makes a bit more sense than 'oh it was a secondary mutation'. Just a bit, though