Assassin's Creed III dev says Japanese games are "Gibberish" & "Subtly Racist"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gretnablue, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You are ignorant.

Very, very ignorant.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
  3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Hang on a second. The OP and the article mentioned Japanese games, not just the JRPG. This means we also count games like Pokemon (second most profitable franchise in gaming history I believe), Bayonetta, Street Fighter, Time Crisis, Tekken, No More Heroes, Dead or Alive and Shadows of the Damned. And they're only the ones I own: there's god knows how many other games from Japan.

And I've got news for him: none of these plots could be described as gibberish or racist. Silly perhaps, but hardly impenetrable to the common man's mind or imagination.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Dude don't even go into it. It's a never ending cycle. He feels Skyrim is the best game ever and he wont rest until he goes on and on about it. It won't end till he thinks he has won his crusade. Just block him and get back to the subject at hand.

Are Japanese a little bit racist? Yes. Isn't every country? Yes. Will AssCreed 3 be worth the price of admission? Yes.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I dunno man, Tekken's story is pretty stupid to the point of being gibberish...

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But... but the original interview doesn't even say japanese games are racist? Why does everyone say Japanese games are racist?

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Personally I think that is a sweeping generalisation. Yes there are some bad JRPGs, just like there are bad games in any genre. But there are also many good games in the genre. Personally I feel the JRPG genre has been less on form in recent years compared to the classics of the SNES days though, I blame an over-reliance on flashy looks and convoluted mechanics compared to strong storytelling and simple yet fun concepts from the less advanced years.

But are they bad? Maybe to you, but not to others. Are they wrong for feeling that way? Of course not, it's an equally valid opinion. I won't claim anyone who prefers Final Fantasy XIII-2 over Chrono Trigger or Radiant Historia is wrong, and frankly, neither should you.

Enjoy what makes gaming special for you, rather than trashing what makes it special for others. You'll feel happier.

I remember an old Playstation Magazine with a complicated relationship chart from when Tekken 3 came out that glibly referred to the story as on a par with Neighbours for complexity. It goes to prove any genre and any region (and any medium, Lost anyone?) can produce a convoluted story. I think the sole reason people accuse the Japanese games of being like this is because Japanese audiences tends to like these more complicated stories. But it's all perception.

It is true though that a lot of Japanese games get more reverence than the Western releases and their shortcomings are overlooked a bit more. I stopped reading reviews a long time ago though.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is no different than the Shia Lebeouf article posted is the News Forum. Misleading thread/article title+lack of reading by posters=complete ignorance.

What else is new?

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I wasted a little time reading the Gamespot piece and then the CVG article it was based on and, yeah, Gamespot really blew a small section of comments out of proportion.

LOL. Well played.

But the movie Tekken: Blood Vengeance... proves your statement completely.

Hasn't most of the game development and revenue growth in the past ten years or so really been from the Western development houses?
    Although I suppose reverence doesn't necessarily equal income.

I'm kind of wondering that, too. I remember when Resident Evil 5 was first announced and there was all the uproar over the white character shooting all the black zombies. Many people were like "But they're Japanese. They can't be racist."

At any rate, I really wish the gaming press would still interview Jade Raymond even if she has nothing to do with Assassin's Creed anymore.
    She's yummy.

10. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

Because this thread doesn't make any sense!

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This thread is gibberish and your all racist!

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Your right.
    And you're grammar is perfect!

13. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    What foxes my box is that you're engaging a moderator and nothing's happened yet

14. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's all keep stating opinions as facts!

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You guys are gonna put me out of work.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    No more so than the OTHER fighting games, and if you follow the Mishima arcs only as canon then you get a serviceable story. Still as silly as shit, but its okay.

As a whole though, that story is fucking snooker loopy.

A great drinking game with this movie, take a shot every time they tease lesbian subtext between Xiaoyu and Alissa. You should be well pissed by about the halfway mark.

Seriously, its like the writer wanted to create a grand lesbian love story between a girl and robot girl, but was forced to write a Tekken movie instead.

17. McBradders

PERSONA 4 IS THE GREATEST VIDEOGAME OF ALL TIME.

...probably.

18. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    ... so hey, who's stoked for Metal Gear Revengeance?

19. McBradders

Gibberish.

20. trdkamuri51o

trdkamuri51o Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the gentlemen does have a valid point..

there are quite a few japanese games that get a great score when really they are mediocre at best.. ive been gaming for going on 25 years.. in the last 10 years japanese games have not been some of the best ive ever seen.... going out look at the last few final fantasies.. mario, (sorry super mario 64 takes the crown every time)

a perfect example of what he was talking about is bayonetta.. did any of you actually get this game?? i grabbed it at discount and it was not worth the money..

another is catherine.. reptitive puzzle game.. completely not worth the score..

those are two prime examples of BAD games from japan getting good scores,

that said, there are games that get good scores and suck from the onset, rehashes like COD get them constantly without any innovation..