[ASK] What's wrong with USPS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Caine, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Sorry if I put it on wrong place, but just curious..
    I've bought 3 BW figures, right, and the seller gave me the USPS tracking number.

The problem is, like I quoted above, since Aug 25 till Sep 11 (today), it's still on Acceptance status, which means, it's still on USA. While a friend of mine, also buy stuff from eBay since Aug 27, and already got his stuff since Sep 8.

Oh and, I'm on Indonesia. Man, what's the point of paying for fast shipping, if it's got delayed like hell. How to deal with it?

2. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that can happen with packages going overseas, and in fact even within the USA. im not sure why it happens but your package could actually be in indonesia!!

3. Caine

News Credits:
    Nah'ah. Checked the tracking number to local post office, and no data of such package.

4. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I had something like this happen to me. Bought a game on eBay, and got it tracked, but it just STOPPED someplace... I was a newb at the time, since the seller told me NOT to open a claim about item not received, and I obeyed him... man was that ever the wrong choice.

Didn't get my money back and never received that game.

I hope you do get your figures though...

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, what happens is that they don't scan the little tracking code except for the one time sometimes. I ship lots of packages within the US and overseas (closest I've ever shipped to Indonesia was to Malaysia) and sometimes the item can't be tracked past the initial scanning, because the post office never scans it again. And than, sometimes, even when the USPS scans it at all of their stops you won't hear anything about it until it actually gets delivered, because the country that receives it never scans it when they get it. Tracking is useless if it's not scanned by the postal workers... like the post above states... your package actually could be on it's way to you right now.

At any rate, if there is some kind of f*** up, it'd be best to take this up with the seller and see if he can get something about it out of his local post office (which is where the acceptance is from I assume) as he would have an easier time at this then you would. It is possible, however unlikely, that it's still siting at the post office, but I would be more likely to believe that it's the typical case of them not scanning the package's tracking bar code at every stop off and such as they're actually supposed to.

6. bhaalistik

bhaalistik Shockwave's Love-child

Yep, exactly ^^^

Wish they would scan beyond the initial acceptance so at least there is SOME semblance of movement seen on the package :rolleyes2 

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What was the shipping method? IIRC nothing other than Global Express can be tracked after it leaves the U.S.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Everytime that I've had an buyer from outside the US that has demanded tracking, it's only been scanned in the US. After a couple weeks they get freaked out about that, I tell them, I said that's what would happen, then a couple days later it shows up in their mail. It's just never worth it to track international packages.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know about that one, I've had packages come from almost everywhere and it seems as long as it has an item number of some sort it can most likely be tracked in some way, I would try the tracking through your local postal website as well to make sure. I think this is an isolated case of somebody just goofed and didn't scan it properly or something which does happen from time to time. Of course it could also mean that it has also been lost or has encounterd some other form of postal mix up which unfortunatly also happens from time to time.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    That changed a while ago. Priority Int'l (except flat rate envelopes) is now trackable, indicated by the same large white customs forms also used on Global Express.

I've found First Class packages & Flat Rate envelope Priority Int'l (Both use the small green customs form) are SOMETIMES trackable through the recipient's local postal carrier's website, but not USPS. It's not a guarantee, but for some reason the customs form will show up as trackable online, even indicating delivery. I've witnessed this for packages sent to the UK & Canada.

11. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'm going to agree with that - whenever I use the smaller customs form, which I usually do since I rarely send larger packages overseas, the exact thing that the OP is talking about happened. Almost no tracking is possible beyond the acceptance stage, except for when it leaves the country. I still find it a useful way to indicate that an item's shipped, and the number usually updates once the item is delivered, so I can at least confirm its arrival.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't had that happen since they recently started allowing Priority International to be trackable. In the last two weeks I've sent out at least five international packages and only one of them (which I had picked up two days ago) seems to be stuck on the 'electronic notification' thing (I always use Paypal click and ship btw). I'm pretty positive that it's heading out (you know... saw it get picked up myself) and I figure I'll see something in a couple of days when it leaves from Miami (everything I send out here in Tampa, no matter where it's going, seems to leave from Miami). I've had it happen before where there was no 'acceptance' message on the tracking, because the guy who picked it up didn't scan the darned thing and it didn't get scanned at the post office, but when it left internationally it was scanned...

On the rare occasions that I've had someone freak out I usually tell them to wait at least another week (you know, because they're freakin' out after like five to six days and international is said to take anywhere from 8 to 10 days depending on the country you're shipping to...) and then contact me and in a day or two they've got their darned package and are all apologetic... it's really rather silly and has almost made me consider no longer accepting international bids. But, that just wouldn't be fair at all so I've never done that... though I have started blocking particularly annoying and unreasonable people...

13. Caine

News Credits:
    It's Priority Mail. But, WTF..

Now my guesses are...

#1 It's tracking barcode are not regularly scanned during each transits, so hence why the data on USPS tracking can't be relied upon.

#2 Yes, it's on the way to me now.

#3 Held by the daaaaayumn Customs. :( 

#4 Totally lost... :(  :( 

The great thing is, the seller's willing to pay me full refund if incase the package is lost. But still, been searching for these 3 figs for years.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Canada posts tracking usually works quite well. As does Japan-posts EMS tracking.

15. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Japan does almost everything better. But anyways I am having trouble with the USPS also. About three weeks ago I sent a Money Order to another board member to Canada and so far the letter has not been delivered.

16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

With the USPS, that doesn't always mean anything. Their tracking numbers are sometimes less-than-reliable.

17. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only reliable tracking service the USPS has for International items is EMS or Global Express. Priority tracking is a joke as is First Class International unless you're sending it to Canada which is then trackable through the Canadian postal service website. I've already been burned pretty badly by the Priority "tracking" service. Live and learn I guess.

Pete@Botcon recently posted something on the TCC Boards about Priority International shipping which I thought was pretty good:

Can I track Priority Mail International?

"Priority Mail International has delivery information limited only to
    major destinations. The only international mail service that offers full
    tracking is Express Mail service (including Global Express GuaranteedĀ®
    and Express Mail InternationalĀ®). Tracking information includes various
    scans as the item is enroute to the destination."

What this means is: NOT trackable. You are lucky if you get a scan
    from the PO here. You get NO delivery scan which means: No proof of
    delivery (POD). We have checked orders from our end and there is
    usually NO information in the PO system. The key is MAJOR DESTINATIONS
    which means, mabye, maybe not. You do not get a POD in this system so
    you cannot tell (even if it is in there) where it is or if it was delivered.

Without the signature, we got nothing. This is the only way you can get
    an insurance claim paid if we take the time to file one. Again without
    the POD you don't have a prayer.

The Priority Mail does come with indemnity and this is difficult to
    collect. It will take a min of 90 days to get a resolution and the
    indemnity goes to the customer not us. So if we reship, we pay for the
    product 2x.

If the mail is returned (person moved, gave wrong address, never picked
    up package) from a foreign country we get charged. For Global Express,
    this is included in the fee.

This is all misleading for customers...

Now to get that receipt you are talking about:

Registered Mail service cost $10.80 and is the only way to get a
    signature without Express Mail

AND for return receipt you have to pay $2.20 MORE. That's $13.00 and
    you still can't track it AND they only do this for about 10 countries.

In addition: Registered mail service is NOT available for parcels over 4 lbs.
    332 Availability

Now you have spent MORE than the Express Intl and got less.

So, the bottom line is: If it get's
    delivered undamaged, everyone is happy. If it doesn't or if there is
    damage no one is happy.

Express Mail is the cheapest way to get the product delivered where
    everyone will be happy.

18. Caine

News Credits:
    Okay, just checked the tracking again..

Here's what I got for the 3 Predacons I mentioned earlier..
    While for 10th-Anniv Waspinator, TM Terrorsaur & my friend's Animated Leader Megatron that I bought from fellow TFW member here, shockwave2005..
    :( 

19. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Better contact the seller asap. The EXACT same thing happened to me just recently. I paid for a loose Alt. Rollbar on 1st Aug and he sends me the USPS tracking number which says ACCEPTANCE on 4th Aug, and i have yet to recieve it.

So i did some checking with the post office, as well as send the guy an email, thinking he was trying to pull a fast one on me. Turns out the guy got my address on the package wrong (well, imcomplete anyway. He's even saying i gave him the wrong add. when i've never had problems with other sellers regarding this issue :banghead: )

So now he wants to give it some time, under the assumption that since the package is undeliverable, it'll be sent back to him. Personally, i'm sick of the wait already.

20. Caine

News Credits:
    I'm also sick of this wait. But regarding the seller, he's trustworthy, been dealt with him several times before, for Animated leader Megatron, BW TM2 Dragon Megatron, Armada Predacon, Classics Devastator, etc etc... He even offers me a full refund, but guess I'll have to wait and see until September 25th.

I'm a man of patience, but I'm just wondering why it took so long. Once I get confirmation regarding the whereabouts of my stuff, I'm okay and could wait for a few days more.

But the WTF is, the newer stuff from Michigan, shipped since Sep 13th, already been dispatched to international transits, while this Aug 25th one is still (PRESUMABLY) sitting on the local post office... Which leads me to, "Colorado was hit hard by Hurricane Ike, too?"