[ASK] Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Caine, May 25, 2008.

1. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Hi, I'm thinking about starting to collect the Alternator lines, or particularly Dead End, Shockwave and Decepticharge. May I know what's the differences between ALT and BT? And what's the normal price for those three Alts I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main difference between Alts and BTs are that the BT figures have diecast and cost about twice as much than the Alternators . I prefer Alternators because they are cheaper, and I find they hold poses and stand up better without all of the heavy diecast. Also no paint chipping.

Since you are just starting out, I recommend getting Alt Deadend first. He is pretty easy to track down, pretty much goes for retail or less (I have seen quite a few on the boards for like $20-$25), and this way you can get a feel for the line. Some people have a lot of problems transforming them and they can be difficult sometimes. This way if you don't like him, its not a big loss.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There never was a Decepticharge BT, though he was given away with a hobby magazine or something.

The other two are your usual story for the BT / Alternator differences - more open display boxes, and partially constructed of die cast metal vs all plastic for the Alts. The BTs also came with little booklets about the characters, the cars and the ongoing story.

I have no idea what prices are going to at the moment. Decepticharge might be more expensive since he was harder to find initially, though he shouldn't be too much since unlike the rest, he's not an established character (the BT explanation of him makes up for it, Unicron's herald and Blackarachnia's right hand bot!)

4. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Binaltechs get a lot of paint chips around the doors and hinges. I used to have a complete set of binaltechs but ended up selling them due to the paint chips. Alternators seem to have tighter joints and pose easier.

5. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The distinctive difference between Binaltech and Alternators is --- die cast. The Binaltech series which was cancelled but thanks to TF movie it was resurrected have some die-cast parts which makes it really attractive but there's paint chipping. Its more expensive than the Alternators, which is purely plastic.
    If you're starting then I would say go for the Alternators because its cheaper but if money it not going to be a problem then go for the Binaltech or just order the next wave of Binaltech coming -- Prime, Jazz, Arcee and Silverstreak.

Hope this helps. Remember, its your call. Hope you end up with the right choice.

6. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shockblast was one of the few Alts I really wanted so I had been looking around for him, but generally I didn't want to buy him because he was going for around $30-40. Fortunately I found a loose complete one at a toy shop for $15 locally.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Also just to clarify this was the Alternator version that was made some sort of Japanese lucky draw and limited to 20 or something, but still just the regular Hasbro version we got so nothing special.

In terms of the three you listed Dead End is definitely a good one to pick up. Like others said he's not going for crazy prices and in my opinion is one of the more under-appreciated ones out there. Car mode looks particularly good and has that great glossier black finish and shin the Alt version just cant match up too. Shockblast is also great but you'll probably have to fork out some green for him.

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I've got a BT Dead End and an Alt Sideswipe... I definitely prefer the BT Dead End, he feels more solid and a little easier to Transform. However, if you're worried about chipping paint, stick to the alts.

Personally, I found the Viper to be among the weakest molds... though Dead End certainly wins the prize for most bad-ass car as far as I'm concerned. You can't go wrong with Shockwave, the RX-8 is an awesome mold.

9. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Ordered Alt Dead End for US$47.

10. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

I think the only ALT you could get for around 20 bucks is Ricochet. All the other ones are around $50 bucks now with the exception of Swerve($100+), clear mirage ($150+), and mirage($60+), etc etc..

I think the CIVIC is the weakest mold followed by the VIper.