ask a guy whos about to read IDW classics volume 1 anything!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by grunge, Jun 3, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    ask a guy whos read IDW classics volume 1 anything!

im reading it to get deeper into the lore.
    a few fun things i enjoyed:
    -watching as the characters went from toy accurrate to cartoon accurrate.
    -optimus being refered to as "great optimus".
    -shockwave being competant.
    -the dinobots no speak like cave man and are from cybertron.
    -buster having creation matrix. made me think of rotf.
    -the animal cassettes talk!
    -9 issues of prime being an emo head.
    -its just plain fuel not energon.

So as title suggests, ask away!
    (keep it clean and friendly.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    BUMP

3. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

It can never happen since it essentially already did...but since those early comics were Marvel comics afterall, I will say this:

Give me a live action anything, movie or TV show or anything, with Robert Downey Jr. in full Tony Stark mode as J.B. Blackrock, and throw in an Angeline Jolie type as a good girl Josie Beller-turned-cyber vixen Circuitbreaker (though I'd probably have her powers somehow derived from contact with the creation matrix like Buster to make it more plausible than her just designing them all herself) and then update all the plot lines and alt modes and what not to be modern and contemporary and I think you could have had one hell of a fascinating thing there. Actually take the camera crews to Portland, Oregon and use all those gorgeous mountain backdrops...can never happen but it could be special. And those early Marvel issues especially are still human-centered enough that it would translate well to mass audiences. We already know Downey Jr. in that Tony Stark type mode is a show stealer all on his own. Watching him flip out about giant robots wrecking his economic empire would be priceless.

Granted not everything could translate (sorry Spiderman) but the whole Megatron/Shockwave power struggle and even a modernized, more plausible use of the Marvel Dinobots explanation (you can keep it largely the same but just add the "pretender" technology from Revenge of the Fallen so that when the Dinobots were sneaking up on Shockwave back in prehistoric times they really were sneaking up cuz their exteriors looked like actual dinosaur skin until the pretender hologram thing was turned off)....all of it would be pretty damn entertaining to watch with a bucket of popcorn in hand. Oh well. As it is, Marvel Studios went on to other great things instead...

4. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Yeah the stories are pretty good. I am having somewhat of a hard time swallowing the writtng as the tfs are written very robotically. More so than what I'm used to from being a long time cartoon only fan. Though when reading it I hear the g1 cartoon voices when I read things.

The soundwave thing. His flying gunmode irks me slightly but it makes Sense too. And I'm really curious what became of the dinobots. Jetfire has had more page time.

I'm curious how they decided to do what in correlation with the show if at all because I see similarities. The creation matrix thing was a bit like wow, but not how I envisioned it from reading the wiki.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Essentially the only similarities with the show are when the show happened to inspire Budiansky or Furman that day. The only editorial mandate they were under was to introduce new product. Budiansky even managed to wriggle out of writing any "futuristic" stories because he simply pointed out that his story was still set in the present and he would like to keep it that way please. (So if you only read the comics you would probably suppose that Blaster was the main hero of the 1986 toyline!) The two sets of lore organically grew together over time, partly because Furman really liked the 1986 movie and its takes on the Matrix, the 1986 characters, etc.

6. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    yeah blaster is coming off, (in volume 2 now) as a bleeding heart, save everyone, hero.
    i liked perceptor in charge of the season 2 bots. poor scrounge ...
    the space bridge was kinda meh really. it was a bridge ... like really ... so the cartoon had a leg up. that is until the bridge was a transformer! comic won again!
    Straxus didnt come off as as crazy as his wiki implied.