Aside from the RroD thing, is 360 a good console?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm still considering branching out into a next-gen system (the Wii just isn't cutting it for me anymore) and since I've been ripped off twice by PS3 sellers I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the Xbox 360 might be a better choice.

But I keep hearing conflicting stories about it. Couple of my friends swear buy it while others say that the hardware failure is too much to deal with.

So what's the whole story on this console? Is the rate of failure (whatever it may be) insignificant compared to its more positive aspects?

2. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Yeah, the hardware failures can suck. I've dealt with one RRoD myself, but at least Microsoft takes care of it pretty quickly and there isn't much of a turn around in getting a system repaired.

But yeah, it's been a really cool console for me. A lot of really good games that both play great and look fantastic. And then you have Xbox Live which has given me some of my best gaming moments with playing with some of the folks around here. I think it's worth it.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Dreamcast 2. In spirit.

Just puttin' that out there.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The RROD is a pain in the arse, yes; however for being without your console for a couple of weeks (while MS repair or replace it for you for free) you get a month's free XBox Live Gold. If it happens again, you get the free month and something else (hence how I have 2 wireless controllers - they GAVE me the second one when I got the RROD for the second time).
    So aside from the RROD, I'd say yes. It's a bloody great console.

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OK. I've also heard that certain consoles (based on production #, manufacturing dates or something else) are less prone to RroD. Is that fact or myth?

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The the others said if you do ring they fix it no questions asked, no cost. They send you a box, you put the system in, stick the new label on and drop it off.

I had one ring out but with how quick and easy they made it to fix it didn't taint my feeling for the system. I just hope when they get around to making the next Xbox they learn from there mistakes.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Newer systems have a diffrent chip set that are supposedly less likely to red ring.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I've never gotten RROD. That being said, a 360 is good. Good games, runs good and is pretty easy to navigate- oh wait, no, not since XBOX Live's craptastic overhaul. But hey, the party thing is really cool, (much better than the old chat) so who am I to be upset about the shit new marketplace, or the convoluted friends list, and all my themes that I paid good money for becoming useless.

But yeah, as an actual console, it's good. More hardcore gamers will probably have a 360 and PS3 and Wii and stuff, anyway. But if you like to buy game content, it's hard to navigate Marketplace without the actual game in. (at which point I recommend you actually select marketplace from the game screen) Oh, and don't waste your money on themes, either.

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In all honesty, ever since they updated to the new layouts, I haven't turned on the 360 other than to pop a disc out to trade it in. The navigation on it just turned me off to the system completely as I now have to dig and dig to find stuff on the marketplace. If it's not new, good luck finding it.

Games wise, it depends on what you want to play and if you really like the controller or not. I've always been partial to the PS styled controllers and any game available multi-platform, I've bought for the PS3 for that exact reason.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I got a 360 early last month, and I didnt like the old dashboard with what little time I spent with it, and I don't really like the new one either.

the only real advantage it brought was the option to install games to shorten load times (and stress to the system).

I'm really, really happy with my purchase though. tis a damn good system.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I just hate how you have to pay extra to play online. I don't have to do it for my PC games, and PS3 owners don't have to do it. I hope the next iteration of the Xbox changes that, but I doubt they will as it's making them money.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's my favorite of the big 3 out there. It is definitely the one I play the most.

I'm not too crazy about the new layout, but do like some of the features that came along with it.

I too have heard that the newer chipsets are less prone to failure.

13. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Love the system. Never have had a RROD but did have my laser die on me but that was most likely fault on my end. Still got it repaired for free and the aformentioned month of XBL to boot. Great games, awesome online, robust technology, and affordable pricing. It's everything I could want in a game console.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You get what you pay for with the gold service. PS3 online service is garbage 90% of the time. lag and disconnects are very common, and almost guaranteed if you dare use a headset (as it requires a bit more bandwidth).

I have yet to be disconnected from Live, headset or not.

it's well worth the less than $5 a month that the yearly rate equals out to.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I love my 360

16. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Just got one for x-mas, seems pretty nice, Sony will always be the king of consoles IMO but this looks and plays nicely, now i just need to get some points to buy SSF2THDR and C:SoTN offa market place.

And hope i never have the RRoD but hey if i do i do.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you have a PS3, I advise you to get both of those for the PS3 instead. the 360's d-pad is garbage.

18. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't run into much lag when I'm online except for PS Home. The only game I have disconnect issues with is LBP multi-player. Otherwise, I've had pretty good luck with PS online.

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Fair enough. As a disclaimer, I do not own a 360, and have no anti-Microsoft hatred or anything. Maybe it's worth it, then.

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yep this was Peter Moore's baby so I agree