ASH: a Final Fantasy FU?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Dec 15, 2007.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat for the Nintendo DS out now in Japan with an '08 American release is made by Mistwalker studios with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy.

This latest title from the quickly rising Mistwalker is much like Final Fantasy Tactics in its gameplay and its jobs system (white mage, black mage, monster mage[summoner], etc.). The game boasts fantastic gameplay graphics, the best on the DS, and stunning prerendered FMVs that tell this epic tale.

It appears that this title will be an undisputed smash hit unlike the 360's Blue Dragon. Its interesting to note that ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat is a Final Fantasy Tactics FU, joining Blue Dragon which was a failed Dragon Quest FU, and the stellar Lost Odyssey for the 360 which is a bonified Final Fantasy FU, that is actually better than more recent Final Fantasy titles. It looks like Sakaguchi's Revenge is going strong just making it perfectly clear that the biggest mistake that SquareEnix ever made was firing the creator of Final Fantasy, the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi.

2. strscrm

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

...what is FU?

4. strscrm

A great insult described by inappropriate language.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm thinking it's "follow up," but I'm not getting the posts--they're what, advertising? Or is the OP just that excited.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    It sounds like giving FF the finger lol.

7. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

The best FF games lately have been the graphical updates of older games anyway.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I... don't get it.

9. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Mistwalker: Mediocre imitations of old Squeenix games.

10. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    FU=Fuck you??

11. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I'm still trying to figure out when Square-Enix fired Sakaguchi-san.

12. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He wasn't fired as far as I know...he just decided to leave to form his own company along with Yoshitaka Amano and most of the original FF 1-6 crews...after all the CD era games except 9, are the "new gen era"...they lack the magic of the old games

13. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ... I ENJOYED Final Fantasy XII... I beat Yiazmat, if that's any indication of how much.

BTW, if you manage to beat Yiazmat(goooooooooood luck...), anyone else you face in the game is basically PWNED!!!1!111

14. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say that 7, 8, 10, and 12 are not enjoyable games. They just are not the same not that it's necessarily a bad thing. It's just my personal taste...12 plays a lot like an offline Final Fantasy 11, except faster paced.

15. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    That's what I thought. I remember hearing that he "left to form Mistwalker", and Wikipedia backed that up.

Methinks strscrm is confused about the facts.

16. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The first two paragraphs read as if they're an ad, and I think the third is opinion.

Sounds interesting, though.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, time to clear some things up. Lost Odyssey is coming out in February so I'm not sure who has the authority to say it's better then recent FF titles. Also, FF7-12 were more varied from game to game then almost any other series I have ever seen. Maybe you mean the spinoffs? I don't know, but FF games always try to be innovative for better or worse. Third, Hironobu Sakaguchi was demoted so he left, feeling held back and not feeling Square was justified in blaming him for Sprits Within 's losses.

Now, my opinion is that Mistwalker has ways to go before HS can prove he still has it in him. Blue Dragon was a dull mess. FF12 was one of the more innovative games out there with propably the best video game script I have ever read. Completely mature. But, it just seems like a lot of people judged it by the dapper cover boy, Vaan. The truth is he may take up some of the bigger scenes ealry on, but once you get Balthier, Basch, and Ashe, he takes a back seat in the story and the story is much more dark and mature then any previous title. Heck, the world is never even in peril, which is pretty damn different then any japanese RPG I've ever played right there. As for 7, 8, and 10- yeah, the main character were pretty boys- it appeals to the Japanese market so get over it. The games themselves were not similar besides falling under the realm of menu combat RPG's and those main character had some pretty good depth when you paid attention to the stories.

EDIT: Sorry if this all sounds like a rant but I sometimes get tired of hearing people diss FF games with what sounds like no actual knowledge of the games besides that they are popular and they don't like the puplicty art, or throwing their opinion around like God's word.

18. strscrm

In regards to Sakaguchi-san about his departure from SquareEnix. SquareEnix squeezed him out. This is both brilliant and unjust. By demoting him, far less pay and very little power within the company, SquareEnix forced Sakaguchi-san to resign. Wanting to actually have a say game development, he left. This maneuver was done by SquareEnix to 'fire' him without actually firing him. If they fired him, then the company would have to pay a hefty severance package, but because he quit, they don't have to pay him a dime. What a great and honorable company.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Undisputed? It bombed in Japan... totally. Just like everything else Mistwalker has done.

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I have to disagree there. FF12 had one of the dullest plots I've ever come across in a game. LOTS of good ideas and characters, but it missed proper storytelling, a fatal flaw. I still enjoyed the game (hated it the first time, but when I actually took my time and thought everything out the second time I enjoyed it a lot more, even beat Omega and Yazmat:rock ), but for it's sidequests and exploration, not the story.