As you moved from childhood to adulthood, what keep you in the fandom?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My students constantly are surprised (plesentaly often times) to find that i play with Transformers and whatc the media and what not. Depending on which adult friend/family you ask, you'll get different reactions. "You're too old to still enjoy that kind of thing." and "That is so awesome. I wish I still keep my old stuff. I wish I had never stopped" are pretty much the opposite polls when it comes to popular opinion from my associates and relatives. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter in that sense because my fam is cool. My boys love them and my wife finds herself interested every now and then. (She regularly talks smack about Starscream). I love transformers, always have and probably always will. Assuming that since you're part of this message board, you're currently a fan of the franchise, if you're an adult. What factors keep you going in the midst of a society that promotes youthful abandoment of what one holds dear.

(As much as I enjoy the hobby and mythos of Transformers, I don't in any way advocate the shirking of responsibilities, especially when a family is involved. My stance is that bills, chidren, work, and the like certainly take priority.)

2. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    One of the many saying I like to keep on my frige that is a motivational thing is Dont grow up to soon. I don't put off my adult duties work and friends and family but I don't like the typical stuff that most of them do. Keeping my toys and watching cartoons just feels right to me and its does not hurt anyone. I once told my mom getting a new toy is when dad suprized you with a diamond necklace for christmas it was a expensive toy lol.

Toy are my jewerly and fancey clothing as i don't care for the latter.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    What keeps me in it? Probably OCD. :p 

Or the more simple thing that I just always enjoyed Transformers on some unexplainable deep level and I know it'll in some way be with me until the end of my days. Everything else I've been into has come and gone but TF has endured since I saw my first figure in 1984 at the age of ten and was intrigued by the engineering of the figures for going from one form to another. I still have all my childhood figures, comics and books, VHS cassettes and almost all my other assorted TF merchandise.
    At its core Transformers has something enduring to me, be it the toys, media or just a link to my younger days when the world was a nicer and simpler place.

4. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    curiously the stories. pending on what were talking about. and there is soooo much to learn and keep up with.

5. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I got to thank my mom for that. She was a Transformers fan before my brother and I were even born.
    So in our household, we never really found it odd or really "Grew up" past it.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    What keeps me interested/what will continue to keep me interested? Entertainment. Sheer entertainment value. As long as I, personally, find it entertaining, I'll continue to be part of the fandom. Doesn't matter if they stop making figures for series X, or if series Y is cancelled, or if they raise the prices on Z, doesn't matter. If what I'm being offered in the franchise provides me with entertainment, I'll stick around. If it's the designs, character roster, overall story, toyline, whatever, as long as I find it entertaining and enjoyable, that's what counts.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well, I dont play with my figures anymore. I just buy then, pose them for fun a couple times to check their range, take photos for my online folders and then place them in the shelves.
    But what kept me in the fandom? Beats me. xD I just love the toys and the adventures of the bots. ^^ the friends I got from years are not surprised at all when I carry a new figure but they do wonder if I ever going to stop. :p 
    the ones I just know they always surprise when they enter my room. ^^'
    I really enjoy the mechanics of the toys, how they change over the years til becoming so articulated,detailed and so show accurate. I think thats the main reason why I collect them.

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Giant robots doing cool stuff, yo' :D 

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because I just love the characters and the concept enough to keep being a part of the fandom.

10. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Because the stories and characters are great. I love the art and the ingenuity behind the toys. I love having figures to play, pose, and paint.

And whenever someone gives me grief, I tell them, "And what would you have me spend my money on? Beer? Cigarettes? Lotto tickets? How bout some hardcore drugs? Maybe even buy a prostitute! No... my hobby doesn't destroy my body or have the potential to get me arrested. And it's frikkin cheap, too. Around $15 a month on average. So compare my vices to your vices and kindly shut the Hell up."

11. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I never really stopped, that's really what kept me in. Sure, Armada and most of Energon was a dry spell, mostly related to personal stuff, not an active dislike of the show.

I think what got me back in seriously though was Galaxy Force. It was one of the first shows I torrented fansubs (and the raws) each week for. I was just getting back hardcore into anime at the time, so it all flowed well. I loved the designs of that series and when Cybertron toys hit, I dove back in hard. Then the movies only solidified my involvement. Sure, I don't see them as high art films, but I enjoy the designs and toys a bunch. From there it only bloomed and I started getting online and picking up older toys I had missed.

But my own bio aside, I guess why I still buy them is because I simply like them. I enjoy transforming and posing them. I like how they look and how they feel. One of the reasons I'm into TFs as toys and don't buy toys for other things I like nearly as much is because the process of transforming a toy is fun and even therapeutic for me. I keep a TF or three on my desk at work to have soemthing neat to look at and fiddle with when I'm frustrated or tired.

If I were to ever "give up" collecting and sell off everything for some reason, I think I would still want to grab a basic TF once a month or so and just enjoy the engineering and fun of the puzzle.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Grow old, dont grow up.

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    G2 hit my Sr year in HS and got me back in, I watched the BW cartoon but hated the figures but I kept tabs on things and the Car Robots (RID) brought me back in full bore.

14. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Me too. In the early 90s when I was in my early teens, I got the back issues of the Marvel G1 and G2 comics. Then Beast Wars cartoon rolled around and I started buying the toys and I've never looked back!

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved G1 from the start. I still remember seeing Sideswipe and Starscream in one of those first commercials and thinking "I have to have those". I didn't pay much attention after the cartoon went off the air. Then one day at a Walmart while I was in college, I saw a G2 Jazz on the shelf and grabbed it for my desk in my dorm room. But I didn't really get into BW at all. Then came the greatest thing of all time. eBay. With the click of a mouse I could have all the G1 toys I had either lost or broken. And i could finally get that Ultra Magnus that eluded me my whole childhood. Soon after R.I.D came around and I was back into Transformers fully. I love the characters, the stories, the engineering. I'm now 36 and I still get grief from time to time about my childish hobby. But i just brush it off. My 2 year old son is starting to play with the Rescue Bots I got for him so hopefully this will be something we can share. And now with the social aspects of the hobby with all the cons and the boards, it's good to know that i'm not crazy. :) 

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

What kept me in the fandom? I think the real question is did I ever have a reason to leave the fandom? To that I say no.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it's the thrill of seeing old faves getting updated in their toy forms. For example, CHUG and the Master Piece line.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The wisest words ever spoken on the 2005 boards.

20. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love reading the fiction It's very interesting. I love researching it on TFWiki and reading the old comics (I'm in the process of reading the entire runs of IDW and Marvel). I stopped caring about the toys a long time ago. I'm all about the fiction and that'll keep me a fan forever