As a collector, if hasbro produced, reissued (blank) it would irritate you...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lion, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I was just thinking ...and let me preface this by saying, the more transformer product, the better- especially ones thay would please us 2005ers/collectors.
    I was wondering what figure, 2 pack, box set, etc...if Hasbro released, would personally irritate you.
    It took me X amount of money, X amount of time, parted together, etc.
    Personally, when rts rodimus and cyclonus was announced, it kinda irritated me as I had literally just paid 55 shipped for a loose classics version of roddy (which was kind of a bargain at the time).

I think a box set of classics seekers would rub collectors the wrong way, or an official add on kit for a devastator...you get the picture.

Any thoughts?

2. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Nothing. If it's something I already have, I'm glad that people who missed it can get one.

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I guess when the concept of reissues became a factor the uniqueness of the collecting was immediately changed forever. I don't really have any guilty pleasure figures I want for myself alone although I appreciate some of the best G1 collections out there!

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've never worried about the resale value of any of my figures, that's something for someone else to worry about after I'm dead. So I honestly can't think of anything that would upset me since I'm always glad when other collectors get a shot at hard to find things.

5. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd say if you're collecting action figures for resale value, you're collecting for the wrong reason. Plus, with pretty much every modern toyline, the values tend to depreciate. If you're a Star Wars collector, you're gonna lose money. Even mint on card stuff often goes below retail unless it's from the 80s. All those 90s POTF2 figures I have? Worthless.

Transformers is unique in that if you know both what you're doing and you are lucky, you actually can make a profit, but it's not terribly likely. If you're lucky, you might break even.

I don't invest in toys doomed to forever stay trapped in cardboard prisons. I get toys to enjoy them.

Plus, here's another thing to think about - Reissues are rarely EXACTLY like the originals. The G1 reissues tend to always have some minor difference, and the various modern seekers that were originally BotCon figures all have considerably different decos.

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    No, I won't be irritated by any re-issues, I love them. I'm hoping they'd re-issue the Microchange blue, red and yellow Bees, preferably as a 3-pack, now, that would make me really ecstatic. Or if they re-issue all the various colors of the Mini-bot Bee mold but with cartoon accurate heads, that would be awesome. :) 

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I own some pretty damn rare stuff.

None of it would bother me if it got reissued. None of it has bothered me when it HAS been reissued. The more people who can have an enjoy it, the better.

You spent 55 bucks on a rodimus? cool. you have one that looks completely different from the one out now.

8. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I don't think I got my question across. It wasn't a question of value, it was more outta just your satisfaction in tracking down you "Grail". I had to literally piece by piece my predaking together, that's when a single fist was going for 30 plus on ebay. 2 reissues later, I still take pride in the fact I worked so hard to complete it.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Wouldn't bother me, it'd bother me more if they DIDN'T do reissues. And while I'm at it, let's hope they do more Diaclone stuffs.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You did. My answer is the same.

11. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I'd love some more reissues, as long as they don't reissue my black zarak lol.

12. n10zguy

n10zguy Da Hawt Gay Geek

When people say things like this, I can't help but see a large amount of arrogance on the part of the speaker. I mean who are YOU to say what is the right or wrong reason to collect something?

Some people say that they are toys and meant to be opened and played with. Which is a fine OPINION but somehow I don't think that you would get very far stating something like that to a stamp or coin collector.

Now, to address the OP. I don't consider myself to be seflsh and I rarely ever sell my Transformers, but I do tend to make my purchases with a little forethought in mind to what I may do with them in the future. Like for example, the Botcon boxsets. I am willing to shell out $300+ for one of these sets because I am led to believe that they are "exclusive". So when I see one of these figures being redone for the mainstream market, regardless of how minute the color differences are, it does tend to annoy me. Basically talking about RTS Thundercracker here.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Really? Yeah, it does bother me. Many years ago I was pleasently surprised when I discovered my Targetmaster Hot Rod, whom I've had since I was a kid was worth a little bit of money (even though I will probably never sell him).

When they reissued him not too long ago I actually found myself a little annoyed... even though I had been happily buying up those DW book reissues.

Which means I'm selfish and hypocritical... ah.

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'd gladly fork over for an Injector reissue, but at the same time, Hasbro should just get off their lazy asses and make Masterpiece Injector already.

15. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    If I had a 100% complete Victory Saber, and they reissue it, I'd just shrug and probably just buy it again.
    If only...

Don't care about reissues of figures I already own. More often than not, it gives me a chance to own a complete figure (As, often times, I am missing weapons or random pieces from my older figures).

16. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

Nope, doesn't bother me. I have Classics Rodimus/Universe Cyclonus and ordered myself the BIS set. Both are very different from the original. I also have the Henkei Thrust and Dirge and went and bought the Generations versions. I'll probably double up on Thundercracker too. I don't collect for value. I collect because I enjoy the figures.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Black Zarak is one of the figures I think really needs to be reissued, if only because the reissue wouldn't have the GPS problems the original has. Think of it, a Black Zarak that can actually be handled and transformed without fear!

Not opinion. That's literally why they're made, and what they're made for. It's not at all comparable to collector edition coins and stamps, which are seperate from consumer stamps and coins, and aren't intended to be used in the same way. and even with the people who collect the normal stamps and coins, I doubt any of the collectors would ever say that normal coins aren't meant for spending as money, or normal stamps aren't meant to be used as postage.

If you want to collect for resale value, that's fine, but they are toys. I don't get the "collecting for the wrong reasons" thing, so I'm with you on that, even though I don't collect with any concern about the value.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    There isnt a single figure I can think of that would iritate me if it was re-issued. In fact I'd be happy if everything was reissued as some point for those of us that missed out the first time or want to get another one or what-have-you. There are more fans getting into the hobby everyday which just makes it that much harder to track down that one figure you've been searching for. And if you happened to have just bought an original when that figure gets re-issued, well you can still be content in the knowledge that you have an original which will most likely always be worth more (assuming it stays in good condition) than a re-issue.

19. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Nothing. If it helps lower the aftermarket price, all the more better for me; in case mine breaks or something.

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a collector nothing would bug me. I'd buy the reissue on top of the loose just to have the fresh opening a new package feeling.

As an investor I suppose those people would hate it but I don't invest. I collect.