Artwork on the back of G1 boxes/on panini/cao borba stickers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going through a box of G1 stuff today and found 4 boxes of unopened cao borba (they are the same things as the panini stickers, but called Cao Borba in...italy? Due to copyrighted name) stickers - i was bored so I opebed a box and put together a set. The first 2 stickers are the two logos printed on silver, and the following 9 stickers make up the back box art of...1985?

Anyway, that back box art took me back and I sat studying It for 5 min, just like I remember doing back in the toystore when I was a kid.

I never did mind that there was an army of Dinobots, but it's fun to notice things like Shockwave shooting a rainbow laser, wonder why Tracks is red (i kknow diaclone was) and why it looks as if he is fighting a Grimlock...was he originally supposed to be a decepticon?

Anyway, as I sat there admiring it 3 thoughts struck me that I thought could be fun to run by the fandom:

1. Who drew the back box art?

2. isn't it a shame that modern packaging doesn't have art like that anymore?

3. The lesser known alt mode art that didn't make the packaging is really beautiful, did all G1 toys have that altmode art drawn up?

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

I wanna say Richard Marcej, but i may have the names mixed up.

There was a suggestion a few years back that the red Tracks was intend to be a Decepticon, and at some point relatively late in the process they scrapped the idea.

If you look at the 1985 *Japanese* Box Art, there's both a Red Tracks, and a Blue Tracks in the top right corner, in the distance, behind Sludge.

http://www.botchthecrab.com/galleryImage.asp?gallery=2&image=35

This is hardly solid evidence, of course.

3. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome, thank you - did he do all the back box art? The Japanese one is really similar, but looks like it is in a different style. Did the japanese box art have another artist?