Fan Art: artists beware

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Charger, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Charger

Charger Born to ride!!

I hope this is some sort of a joke, but seemingly it is not.

Some day soon we may all loose our rights to our creative eneavors.

Help us all if this comes to pass.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

That's fucked up. Whoever takes advantage of this is a scumbag...

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    More info here: http://www.sellyourtvconceptnow.com/orphan.html

Brad Holland, the commercial Illustrator leading the campaign against this, is someone I have always respected immensely. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was in college.

4. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Just don't die or leave the country for a few months and you should be good.

The way things are now doesn't stop people from stealing your artwork if they really want to. I could print out some DcJosh fanart and start making a tshirt tomorrow. However, because Josh is alive and available I won't be able to get away with it if he does something about it.

The bill seems to outline early on that you need to try to get in touch with the artist by any means before you are going to claim a work is orphaned.

Solutions: Have a phone, an email, website, etc. Register the important stuff (something you are actually publishing, not your Inu-Yasha fanart), and keep an eye out.

Is there something I am missing? I've gone through the legal mumbo jumbo a couple of times now and I don't see what is causing the shitstorm, but I admit I might not understand it. Can someone quote a section from the document that says the government is going to steal all our fanart?

5. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

This has to be a joke. There is no way they can do this and get away with it. The inevitable loop/plot hole is that everything in the world that is orignal creation is disowned and up for grabs.

... I got dibs on Blitzwing :mad 

6. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    why the fuck would they want to do this?! I am pissed and i don't even have talent

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Another thing I'm curious about is how this Act affects (if it even can affect) creators outside the US... Since it basically implies (as far as I can understand, which is not very :p ) that any unregistered art found on the Intarwebz is up for grabs, then surely it's difficult (read impossible) to distinguish between American stuff and anyone else's if it's not clearly stated who the creator is - in which case you know who the copyright holder is.
    It's all very confusing.

8. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Try reading Myspace's TOS some time. If I remember right, they claim ownership of what you post there.

Geocities used to be the same way also. Not sure about blogspot.

9. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

ah slag.

10. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see a problem with it.

Artists hardly create stuff out of the blue nowadays. They create when they get paid. At least the smart ones.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    That's so news articles can report, "This information, found on the popular site MySpace" .... as opposed to "This information, found on Velcrohead's blog" ...

It's their blog and you use it. Not the other way around :) 

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    >:O

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

This seems a pretty ridiculous thing to say. What, you've never created anything you haven't been paid for? And the rest of us who don't get paid for it are dumb? Thanks.

Most artists (not most professional artists) create because they want to create, and I think it's safe to say most of those selfsame artists would quite rightly be pissed off if they found someone else was making money off work they'd spent time on, without their agreement, even if they weren't originally doing it for the money.

14. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    As a returning student that is why I have refused to use turn it in dot com in the past - they, after submission, own that which is submitted to their site. If I have written an original work, it is mine. Period.

15. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    But a lot of artists aren't professional illustrators drawing other people's pre-copyrighted characters or working for a videogame/movie studio. They try to sell their own original creations, paintings, comics, etc. which, according to some interpretations of the bill, might be a lot harder to do now.

16. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

There is no way in hell these bloodsucking leeches are taking my work. Because I've worked so hard for what I've done in the past and today and now this bill might take away mine and every Americans' First Amendment rights and that pisses me off. I would like to see these bastards come to my house and take my work because they'll meet a very angry man. I tell ya this bill is just plain retarded and its a clusterfuck as well.

17. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

And even if you DID register your work, the person only has to search two registries to be legally protected from legal suits filed by the creator. Since the registries are to be privately run (AKA no government involvement), there could be dozens, nay, hundreds of registries. All the leecher has to do is find two registries you didn't register with. No matter how many he actually found that you registered with, he need only present the two he found with you not in it and claim he never saw the others and he's safe, and you just got the scales of justice shoved up your ass sideways.

18. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

That is a totally misguided statement.

19. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Um...I've only gotten payed once for my art work. The rest of my stuff I've created just for the sake of it. So....this might effect me, and I'm not sure I'm going to like this.