Customs: Artists and BotCon dealer tables

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Venksta, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys. Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I've never been to BotCon, or any other conventions really. But I'm planning to be at BC this year. Anyways, I've seen with other conventions, artists would have their own tables, that they rent out, to sell artwork, or take on the spot commissions/sketches.

For BotCon, does anyone ever do that? And has anyone done that in the dealer room? I know there have been BotCon guests artist, that have done something like that. I expect they were given a table by the convention. But I'm wondering about the average TF fan, and what options they have. This is probably a good question for the other artists here, planning to goto BotCon too. :) 

2. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes Im a dealer, Been on the dealers floor since botcon 05.
    for starters....
    Last years booth cost was 325, and tables were 200. that without electrical hookups
    You have to pay the taxes to the state on all sales over the weekend.
    You have to make sure you bring enough cash for sales transactions
    Its up to get a credit card machine reader, Fp does not supply them
    Dealer floor can get crazy at times, We had it on Saturdays where u just keep going for hours and you think that only 30 minutes or an hour went by. When 3 or 4 hours have gone by.
    Also if your working your table alone you have no one to watch your self when you take a bathroom break or a snack break. Yes stealing happens at botcon. I had things walk off before. People break items and try to calm it was that way when they picked it up. 1 dealer I know had over 1000.00 dollars taken right off his table. Had a factory sealed g1 grimlock and swoop taken off his table right under his nose.

As far as your idea yes people have done it, but I never seen any of them come back the next year. They say they didnt think it would be as hard as they thought. Your booth or table must be open when ever the dealer floor is open. In other words you dont get time to enjoy the con, you will not be able to go to panels or do everything that primus holders can do. Well I hope this helps if u have any question feel free to send me a pm.

dont be surprise if this gets moved to the Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers section of the boards.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since V is asking something specifically about being an artist and having a dealer table at Botcon, it's good to go here :) 

4. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

A lot of the fan artists I know have had tables if not now, in the past. Mostly they bring a bunch of different prints they can sell (it's especially common to bring something that you can get each year's guests to sign), and then a sketchbook for commissions/doodling, etc.

I don't know how FP does it (since I haven't been in four years) but in the past, my artist friends would go in on a table, or go in with a buddy who had some extra toys to dump off. One person would stay there while the others went to panels or got lunch or whatever.

5. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would definitely see about splitting the table with one other person, just so you can take breaks for food and stuff.

Some things I would recommend selling:

-Prints, have a variety. Different sizes and price points. Maybe have a deal on them, like normally they are 10$ but if they buy 3 its only 25$ or something.

-artist sketchbook, an artbook filled with a bunch of your personal work, includes in progress stuff and finished pieces. About 20 pages long. These are limited printings of your work. see about bringing 50-100. If you do make one consider me up for a preorder!

-offer sketches, think of a reasonable price for things that take 15-30 minutes to do, Anything that takes longer than 30 minutes, consider it a commission and charge accordingly and plan to mail it to em after the con. On that note, bring a medium you feel comfortable with and maybe do some sketches before hand ready to buy.

-free stuff, like postcards and business cards. maybe bookmarks and buttons/pins.

Check to see if FP has different rates for artists tables and dealers. The difference for artists and dealers is that artists cant sell things other than art. If youare selling a 3D object, it makes you a dealer(bare in mind this is my experience from other big conventions). If you plan on selling your garage kits you might be limited to a dealer table. but if you do that 200$ aint so bad for a single table fee. Especially when other cons charge 700$ for a booth(150$ for an artist table). Just send them an e-mail to see what your options are, they seemed like pretty nice people in my dealings with them :) 

To answer your specific question, yes people set up artist tables in the dealer room. Its the only place to do that really. And there is usually a place for IDW artists. They get to sit at the IDW booth.

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Followup - I know some artists do "sketch cards" - that are basically baseball-card sized pieces of white board with a quick marker sketch of popular characters. They sell those for a couple of bucks.

7. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a slight warning, only do sketch cards if you want to be known for them.

8. Venksta

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info everyone. Being my first botcon, I'd love to enjoy the convention, then spend it at the table. I have a friend who is planning to have a table anyways, but hes not 100% sure if he'll be there, at the moment. Hopefully, I'll find other ways to make my stuff available, if the dealer table doesn't work out. :) 

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You're going to Botcon Venks? Awesomesauce! Looking forward to meeting you bro. :) 
    Shibamura Prime has had a Botcon dealer room table at least once; you might want to hit him up and ask him about how it went.

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

UPDATE: Looking at this year's brochure, there appears to be a separate "artist's alley" being implemented. The tables are cheaper, and they're specifically for fan artists. Interesting.

11. Venksta

News Credits:
    Yup, I'm planning to go. Have a 95% chance of being there. :)  Just had a meeting today with two friends to plan the trip.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed it. I wonder if they have the same rules as the dealer table. The one thing I hope they allow, is to allow us to leave the table during the convention. As I really would like to check out panels, and hang out with other people. :)