Articulation on future toys.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, May 13, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As toy engineering continues to evolve, I'm wondering what kind of articulation future toys will have. We've certainly come a long way from the era of G1 bricks, so here are my thoughts on possible improvements we may see.

- Ball-jointed hip. This is a must, IMO. I was playing around with Animated Arcee today and I noticed some of her more dynamic poses don't look natural somehow. I realized it's because her back is always straight, which hampers the flow of her movements. If nothing else, Hasbro should consider designing ball-jointed hips for future toys. I want Transformers that can touch their toes.

- Double-jointed neck. It's common for Transformers to have a ball-jointed neck to look up, down, left and right. But I think it's also important for the base of the neck to be on a swivel joint so that it can tilt from side to side. It would make wounded Transformers lying down look more realistic.

- Double-jointed shoulders. Coming back to Animated Arcee, I like how her double-jointed shoulders mean that she can shrug or droop them. I think it's something that should be featured on all Transformers to accentuate arm movement.

- Wrists that can bend back. Okay, we've seen ball jointed wrists on recent figures like Drift and G2 Optimus Prime, but neither of these could bend their wrists back like us fleshlings. Just another point to consider if you want to pose your Transformers pushing or holding something up.

- Expressions for larger figures. I don't expect to see this implemented on a Deluxe figure, but Leader class or even Voyager toys might have the potential for articulated expressions. And I don't mean the one-shot dealies on Animated Ultra Magnus or Bulkhead, but some kind of basic articulation on the eyes and mouth would be nice. After all, the face is always the first thing you look at, and one that can convey expressions gives that toy more character.

What do you think of these ideas? I'm open to more suggestions.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Less ball joints more cuts, swivels, ratchets, etc.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    - Hinged fingers ala Straxus-Darkmount/Skullgrin. I think this feature will be on all price points above deluxes in five years or so.

- "Rocker" ankles. So simple and easy to implement. Another feature I can see being standard in a few years.

This would look awful with today's technology. It might work on really big "Supreme" figures if it had a rubber face over the seams, but anything else would leave ugly seams and jump prices up considerably.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This is a must IMO. Some figures are practically impossible to pose in any sort of dramatic way without it, classics voyager Megs and Universe Roadbuster I'm looking at you.

5. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Uni. Inferno's legs being standard for leg articulations would be nice.
    I like the idea of a ball jointed pelvis, maybe abs similar to the Iron Man figures, that would make for some very cool poses.

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    This. I tire of parts popping off.

7. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like to see joints within joints for shoulders, hips and necks. As an example I would mention Revoltech joints. Not only would they give more articulation to the toys, but they would add a new dimension to transforming.

8. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Articulation is definately improving. I've been watching it happen in the movie line. Remember TF1 Leader Optimus? Articulation for him sucked.

Of the new DOTM toys I've obtained, Crankcase has some of the best articulation, and if thats a feature you like having, then he should be a definate purchase for you.

I've been able to make Crankcase perfectly stand, crouch, kneel (on one knee), even place a foot on a fallen enemy.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm ambivalent on this idea. On the one hand, I like the degree of flexibility that ball-jointed hips provide. On the other hand, I can think of any number of figures that can't stand correctly because the ball joints on the hips are either too loose right out of the box (eg - HftD Terradive) or wear down over time (eg - BW TM Airazor and a number of other BW figures). Yes, that's something that can be fixed with the nail polish or superglue trick, but I'd rather have them designed to not be a problem in the first place.

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Not sure, but I think he rather meant some sort of ball-jointed.. abdomen? So TFs wouldn't have stiff torsos.

11. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Do many people retrofit their G1 characters with ball and socket joints? Love my G1 collection, but they sure are a sad lot from an articulation standpoint.

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i'd personally would like a combination of ball joints and ratcheted joints. along with swivels.

like i like it when heads on ball joints. and i like it when SOME parts pop off, you know, battle damage? lol

but at the same time i like the knees and elbows to be ratchets. and i like ball jointed feet, as long as it is not TOO loose, or doesn't come off too easily like rotf's prime's feet.

i also do not want transformers that have so many pop-offable body parts that i basically have to take it apart just to transform it.

biggest offenders of that would be hybrid Convoy *g1*, ROTF leader prime, tfu galvatron, double clutch, i can't even pose that guy, he's so bad! lol he just pops apart, and the sad part is, he looks really nice in all three modes, it's just HARD to get him there! :( 

13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I probably should have said ball-jointed pelvis or torso. My bad.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    The only parts that come off on Prime is his feet, and his boobs. And the feet are tight on mine... you must have had a bad break in quality.

15. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Looking into my crystal ball, I can see...

# 3-4 balljoints simultaneously connected to eachother
    # "rocker ankles" so weak that the figures continuously fall over
    # ever-increasing numbers of puzzle-formers
    # thinner & thinner plastic being used etc.

Oh there are fun times ahead... :lol 

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Heads MUST be on ball joints. Everything else swivels.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, i preordered mine before it was released at bbts, i ordered the case with jetfire. but yea, maybe i did just get a bad break, but his feet still piss me off! lol i like to transform a toy, and it stays together, thank you very much!

beast wars was also a bad offender of pop off ball joints. especially the deluxe and basics. but with those i am ok with it because they are SO old now.

18. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Ah. I see.

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Drift has a great head in my opinion. His head does things figures with ball joints can't. I'm looking at you Straxis.

20. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's just stupid. Why is a ball joint for the head more valuable than the limbs? Swivels only allow for forward, backward, left and right movement, whereas a ball joint allows you to twist the limb around the joint to give it greater range. It's the same principle for the head.