Articulation and Playability

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Spoon, May 2, 2009.

1. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I notice a lot of people on here complaining about toys having poor articulation and playability, but I also notice most people just lining their toys up on their shelves.

And then I wondered when/why people actually need this articulation?

I personally need it for my webcomic, as do quite a few others, and I noticed that some users, like Kusangi, have their toys dynamically posed on the shelf, but, for everyone else, what's the big deal?

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I love to have the "dynamic posing" going on, I think makes the figures look so much more vibrant. It's a very odd exception for me, personally, to have a complete static pose, G1 aside of course. Plus, it's nice to have the option to change poses up every once in a while.

I think my love of articulation comes from the decade long love-affair I had with the Gundam MG line prior to getting back into Transformers.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I like playing with my TFs. So articulation is essential.

4. Spoon

Spoon Banned

When you say 'playing', what exactly to you mean?

5. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

When my sons and I pull my collection off the shelf for war time, articulation coupled with detachable limbs make for some awesome deaths.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    this, except change sons to son and daughter.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Taking some, making up a story line, posing them every few minutes.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yes the detachable/reattachable ball and socket joint has likely saved the lives of many a transformer that might have been reconciled to the trash bin otherwise

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Articulation is simply another dimension on which to assess the utility of a figure. Though subjective, the trends appears to be that greater articulation is preferable. I fail to see how usage, be it static or dynamic, precludes the number of joints a toy should have.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

For fidling with a toy, A.K.A. "playing" with the toy, superior articulation is better than no articulation.

However, for my photocomic, I use the G1 Duocons alot, and they have litteraly next to zero articulation anywhere. Heck, if I had Energon Wing Saber I'd probably have fun with his two points of articulation.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I actually DO play with my toys, but when I don't, they sit on my shelf. Articulation nowadays goes hand-in-hand with playability in most cases.

12. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

I play with my TFs all the time, actually. I have six on my desk at this very moment, and I constantly transform and pose them. I'm usually fiddling with one when I do my homework, and I love trying to rearrange them into new fan modes. Articulation and playability are essential to me, which is why I don't have any Robot Heroes, Titaniums, Alternators or Masterpieces. If I can't mess around with the toy, I have no desire for it whatsoever.

13. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

I tend to fiddle with my Transformers while watching TV, or reading things on my computer. I've usually got one nearby to transform back and forwards or posing them in various ways. So articulation is always appreciated for this reason.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I do display most, if not all, of my TF's just standing there in rows. Though I do tend to fiddle with them once in a while. I also take them down and pose them in different ways. Their articulation will also help with my little comic I started last week (link if anyone's curious). It does help make TF's more enjoyable and more buyable, but in certain cases I can look over it. Especially with older toys, and one's of certain characters.

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Articulation is fun but not mandotary. Some of the most fun figures to play with are G1 "bricks".

16. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    But, even they are better with articulation.:wink: 

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

a

Another issue is that with the prices these days, and the times, the articulation is essential in modern toy development, I expect the larger figures to have articulation, whne I buy a Robot Hero or Activator, I expect the articulation those lines offer.

18. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I set mine up in action poses, haha, articulation is important to me. It's why I'm not big on Robot Heroes.

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    on the bed making pew pew sounds :lol  seriously i still do that :)  i got the toys so i am goin to have fun lol i have them on the shelves now but i usually grab a handful and have fun

20. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have the room for dynamic poses (at least, not for anything other than the Revoltechs), but when I get some big shelves to hold my robots, I'd like to pull off some more interesting poses rather than just standing them planely. I'm not sure whether I'd display stuff by character or by line, but I'd enjoy having enough space to create something interesting. So posability/articulation is important to me, outside of G1 figures anyways.