Customs: Articulated Leader class Prime hands/wrists?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Drpee, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello, im new here and after lurking and following many peoples awesome customs i have decided to start making some myself.

I have quite a bit of experiance painting toys and infact i have painted a few TF's in the past for a friend of mine who told me about this place and other custom TF forums and he suggested i join a few so here i am.

My next project is going to be a custom leader class optimus prime from the 2007 movie, i have loads of cool ideas lined up for him which will make him slightly different from the many others that have been done in the past.

Those ideas are mostly confined to the paint department however as i dont have much experiance with modding and cutting up plastic toys, but i know quite a lot about painting as ive painted toys and models for years but they have never been as complex as transformers.

One idea i really want to incorporate is articulated hands. Primes hands always bothered me because they couldnt bend or turn at the wrist and they really limited the toys ability to express emotion and hindered poseability. I know how to make the fingers more articulate thanks to a tutorial on here but how would i go about making the wrists articulated as well, without changing the transformation process?

If anyone can help me i will be very thankful.

Thanks!

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could use some gundam parts maybe?? Perhaps even either bionicle or the newly popular neo shifters with the added spify clicky joints :D . I've never used the neo shifters myself, but they seem like they'd be awesome to use. Hopefully that starts you off in the right direction.

3. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How would they attach to the hands and the wrist area on the arm?

Also, im curious about adding an articulated head but i dont think ive ever seen anyone do this before without turning the toy into a.... "parts-former" is that the correct phrase to use?

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

a gundam kit with hands that big is going to be pricey and i am not sure if there 1/60 hands would be to big. i cant really think of something off the top of my head with good hands in that size. other than masterpiece starscream and those are still limited articulation

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I'd do it is try to cut the hands flush with the wrist with a knife to save as much of the parts as I could. Once I got them cut away I would take a clicky joint and glue each end to the different pieces while trying to keep the transformation possible. Some one actually acheive articulated wrists I think, check the customs thread and use the search option. There are multiple ways to get what you want done. It just depends on how you want to go about it.. As for the head, I'm not sure how you'd do that. I looked at it trying to change the led light and didn't even wanna go there. Again, check the customs board and ask some of the more knowledgable artists there.

6. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the help.

Also one other thing i was wondering: What scale is leader class prime? Im thinking of buying a model kit for the trailer and cab accessories like rear view mirrors and stuff.

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

I believe I had started to research Leader Prime's scale, but never got the toy. A Kenworth rig his size is roughly 334 inches in length, if I recall correctly. Measure your leader Prime's length in truck mode. Divide the toys inches into 334 and the result will be your rough scale.

Example: 334 inches (real truck) divided by, let's say 11 inches (toy truck) and you get 30.36, so roughly 1/30th scale. Remember, the toy truck length I used may not be accurate, I don't have the toy!

Measure yours and have fun!:thumbs2: 

8. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont understand maths very well, but i measured the toy and its roughly 11 inches long, give or take a couple of MM. Ive found out that prime is a Peterbilt Model-379 (thats what the truck in the movie was), the toy however is modeled after a Kenworth W900, not sure which year and the wheelbase lengths change depending on the year and model (they fluctuate from 240" to 275"!), from what i could see though based on trucks with sleeper cabs made in 2007 that look closest to the toy design have an average wheelbase length of 260" whereas the peterbuilt has a wheelbase of 265".

So based on that i get the calculator telling me its 1/23 scale for the kenworth and 1/24 scale for the peterbuilt.

Basically this means its impossible to determine exactly what scale the toy is! lol.

9. big hank

News Credits:
    True, but 1/24 or 1/25 scale kits should be available. I would bet they would integrate with Leader prime just fine!

10. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah i reckon they will. Whats even better is i can buy the pieces i need seperatly without buying an expensive model kit just to use a few pieces. They are for 1/24 scale kits but i think they should be ok. If somethings a little too big i can always trim it down and make it smaller, but i cant make stuff bigger thats why i needed a rough idea what scale OP is.

11. big hank

News Credits:
    Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it done!:thumbs2: 

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  13. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hehe, i saw that just after you told me and it has really inspired me. Im going to do that to mine, and add a couple of neat extra touches that nobody has seen before hopefully, mainly in the paint aspect of things. Turns out i had a couple of scrap bionicles in a plastic bag in my spare bedroom which i completely forgot about so that was a result.