Article about culture of "half-hookers"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    SECURITY is the factor. Money is only one manifestation of security. A guy with his own business, who owns his home outright, who can provide for himself and others, THAT'S the draw. You can't do that, you are a liability, not an asset.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well said. And again, while that security may be really important to one woman, that ridiculously buff, cut-jaw, loud sonofabitch that just walked in may have everything that the next woman wants. There's no "if I have this, all girls will like me" catch-all solution. Money comes close, but it isn't the 100% attract-all-females cure-all.

Case in point - the dude in the article who is described as a part-time promotor, part-time event host/clothing designer. The article paints a pretty clear picture of the guy - most of the girls in the clubs described know that he's not uber-rich, but he dresses the part anyway. So the wealth AND appearance of wealth aspect is kinda shattered here, so why is he still getting tables and the attention of the half-hookers for free? He has other assets - connections, fashion sense, some semblance of a good physique, etc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    dude fuck that you just need to be cut from marble and rock the popped collar. ur the alpha and you will make her omega if u know what i mean.

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    This article made me really sad. For her, not for anyone else. I get it, I don't like it, but it's depressing.

5. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

This is not surprising news...in fact one of the reasons why I hated going out to the clubs, you see it happening all the time. I'm still laughing at how calling somebody a half-hooker is a softer blow then calling someone an outright slut.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You say money, I see success, ambition, drive, motivation, and intelligence. Money is a symptom of one thing woman are attracted to.

And you go on and on about women, like men preferences are occasionally ridiculous. Big breasts suggest positive child-rearing ability. We know fake breasts don't mean that, but they're still appealing to many.

Bottom line, people are ridiculous, not just women, and you need to get over it and try to change what you're doing instead of continuing to blame the ladies.

Or hell, go make a lot of money and let us know how that works out for you.

Absolutely. Ambition is major part of achieving security, and on a very base, fundamental level, women want that. And what's wrong with that? I don't want to be with a loser either. It's not about money, I'd be thrilled to be with someone who makes $13K running a non-profit I respect--but that's because I have my money. And if I was with someone who made bank, I'd want them to be supportive if I decided to make $13K running a free clinic for gay cayote aids.

7. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    I agree with this 100%. It seems crazy to us, but when you have such massive amounts of money, and you can have pretty much anything you want, this mindset can set in. I do think it is a moral issue Tiger faces, and I am sure there are plenty of people with that sort of money that don't behave in this sense; I guess when financial security is no longer an issue your way of thinking progresses (or, maybe digresses is the appropriate word) to be able to buy "high-end" hookers and do whatever you want when ever you want. That's the issue.

That's an extremely pessimistic and misguided point of view. Perhaps you don't have enough confidence in yourself to think otherwise, but the vast majority of women are not the gold diggers you make them out to be. Certainly not the ones you would want to invite into your life on a permanent basis.

I would even go so far as to say your outlook - as stated in this and other threads - on the opposite sex is a seemingly detatched viewpoint. It may simply be you have a lack of experience interacting with women and don't fully understand them, or you had one or two bad experiences that cause you to take on this view point. Either way, you are way off base and I hope you realize that at some point.

8. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Let me elaborate on Bryan and Foster's points. Security may certainly mean financial security - in fact, probably mostly. However, it really has nothing to do with a perception of having "loads of cash". In this sense, most women see financial security in a man to mean someone who is sensible with their money, takes care of their business and can provide basic needs for a family. I think most guys can afford these basic needs, but it may be the way in which they handle their finances that can turn a woman off; if you are making $10-$12/hour and you live in a crappy apartment with a bunch of toys, yeah, that looks like you have no clue how to provide this financial easiness - or project, at least, which would be the first step when initiating conversation with a woman.

Beyond finances, security can have several different meanings that appeal to, as OWAT stated, several types of women. Emotional, mental, etc. etc. etc. I can guaran-damn-tee you the VAST majority of females would trade in a relationship with a high-income man for a relationship with someone who they can trust and enjoy being around.

Money can become an idol when you allow what you have to rule your life and life decisions, but it can also become an idol when you allow what you don't have to determine your outlook on life.

9. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i got though 2 pages before it got abit unreal for me (article). while i can share the job satisfaction for doing a good job and feeling happy about it, her life in general is too alien for me.

since i tend to not be overly social all the time, the club and pub scene truly isnt my thing, hence living like she does is nearly inconceivable to me despite me hearing hints of it. then again i also suspect she would feel the same about my life.

i will never actually fully see this life of hers unless i make abit more money, change my fashion sense and become more social (a years worth of dating failures and one bad one at the end has made me abit less social currently). and yet, i really am not fussed if i never see that world because i am happy where i am in the world, for now.

I think Bryan found a good article which does show what another social group thinks. its almost like school where the nerds and geeks just got a look at what the jocks are up to.

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

...err... what? Ok, I grew up in a society that I find something like Prostitution disgusting. In other societies, someone having sex with multiple people for money have a different view on it. Every culture has different views and opinions on different subjects, some developing certain taboos against it. I know I know, "Cultural Relativity" and all that. It's just my opinion, I can't help it but find it disgusting.

:banghead: 

Wow, just wow. I'm actually starting to get a positive vibe from people here now do to my recent posting behavior, why ruin something good for both me and you?

btw yeah I do like libraries but book stores more, because I can keep the books and re-read them. I've read Crichton's "The Lost World" 4 times now too :D 

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

No, you grew up in a household that finds prostitution disgusting. Household =/= Society.

You did this one yourself.:gen069: 

12. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weren't you the one who wanted to go and live in a tribe or something for months?
    I'm sure you'd find some of their practices "disgusting" to you. But I'm sure you'd just enjoy sitting there making comments without knowing all the facts.

I was pointing out how easy you are to judge someone without reading all the facts. But then you're young so you lack the life experiences to understand that not everything is black and white.
    And you getting "positive vibes" from people doesn't concern me in the least.

I don't care.

13. Tyrannosaur

Yes. Sure I'd find their practices disgusting. Honestly I cringed after reading what the Hui do to their women after they disobeyed one of their sex taboos they. But while I do find it disgusting, I have to keep in mind that these people grew in a different culture that evolved differently than mine. I can find it digusting, sure, but I have to respect it at all times. I've brought it up before, it's called Cultural Relativity. Keeping an equal, respective view of all practices, religions, taboos, customs, etc.

Yes I am young, I barely have a fraction of the wisdom and knowledge at someone your age and the same can be said for you when compared to someone much older than you as well. But just because you possess something like that doesn't mean you can belittle me because I can't even compare to you. Can you just be a little nicer to me? I haven't done anything wrong to you and if I had I apologized for it.

Yeah, that was the past. This is now.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You've expressed an interest in anthropology, and while this is a humor article, sometimes that's the best way to learn:

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable | Cracked.com

I genuinely think this article is a brilliant assessment of the contemporary American psyche. I appreciate that someone your age was shaped your entire life by the interest, but understand this: criticism is a good thing. Being mocked, when it's deserved, is a good thing. It's how you know what you need to improve--the feedback in a system, so to speak.

And beyond that, no one--not you, not me, no one--is entitled to have people be nice to them. Thinking otherwise is a fundamentally flawed starting position.

15. Tyrannosaur

:lol  at the article. Gotta love Cracked.com :D  despite some of their articles having some innacuracies.
    Most of those I don't have a problem with, mainly the only thing is probably that I don't get critisized enough, but not constructive at all. This really is the first time this has happened to me on the internet.

Thanks Bryan. THAT's the response I like getting from people. I've always been fond of constructive critisism from my teachers and people older than me. Being mocked though that's what I've gotten alot, whether it's here or at school. Seriously, there are people who still play pokemon who think dinosaurs are stupid and make fun of me for it. Ironic isn't it?

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Seems only like yesterday to me. I guess, technically that is the past.

Bullshit, and here's why.

There is a lesson here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to type it out.

Backpedaling is a fine art, and you're adept for your age.

17. Tyrannosaur

Oh sure, critisize me for having no tolerance when it comes to certain things, something that is a flaw in every human :p 

Yep, revert back to your old ways of constantly bashing me for my opinion. Go do something else with your life instead of being up my bum about everything because I'm getting REALLY sick of it now with the constant damn nitpicking. I have my own opinions why can't you understand that? Prostitutes are sluts, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Is there a problem? I really don't give a shit nor do I want to put up with.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually, I want to call attention to what you said here. If you truly are interested in the field of anthropology - the science of the interactivity and relationships of human beings - then you have to be able to drop virtually all preconceptions that you may have been brought up to believe.

You say you were raised in a society that finds prostitution disgusting. Instead of getting defensive about your own opinion, why not turn it on its head, like a proper anthropologist? Look outwards from the half-hooker's perspective - why does the society that you live in find her profession disgusting? What cultural norms are set in place that promote that disgust?

The only reason I'm suggesting this excercise is because that's exactly what the study of the social evolution and behavior is all about - the development of ley lines covering acceptable standards, unacceptable behavior, etc...and how they got there.

tl;dr, don't retract into yourself and be defensive, expand your mind outward and put yourself in others' shoes. That's a founding principle of studying culture.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, for fuck's sake. Once more with feeling--the woman you were referring do WASN'T EVEN A PROSTITUTE. In point of fact, she lost her job for refusing to participate in the very behavior you're condemning.

Beyond that, no, you're not "entitled" to an opinion--or rather, I suppose you are, but not to voice it without fear of criticism. You're not "entitled" to anything except what you earn, and a reactionary position that you haven't defended or explained but rather, have simply put forth in rather crass terms, doesn't earn you much at all.

If you're entitled to your opinions (expressed without explanation or justification) and a pass on "nitpicking," why aren't folks who disagree with your views on evolution entitled to the same? Granted, the latter has evidence supporting it, to be sure. But your current position doesn't have any more scientific validity than creationism.

20. Tyrannosaur

Of course that's the flaw with Cultural Relativity, every culture, every practice, custom, belief etc. must be looked at with an equal and respective viewpoint. This includes the genocide from the Nazi's and even the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Of course what we are discussing now isn't to those extremes, but certain practices may disturb someone. I can't help it. It's a flaw Anthroplogists themselves have pointed out.

But thankyou for the constructive critisism anyway :) 
    Just try to keep religion out of this please, it's not just religious people who do not accept evolution. Not accepting something that has plenty of evidence is called a "negative" opinion. Sure they're entitled to their opinion too, everyone is, but of course their opinions may be disagreed with by someone.

Alright? Fine, continue on with discussing what you originally wanted to discuss with and I'll keep out of your way if all of us just drop this current discussion right now. Everybody is happy.

Honestly, my viewpoint on this matter is the same as Gigatron and Chris'. I can't even make it through a paragraph without dreaming off into something more interesting.