Article about culture of "half-hookers"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I found this fascinating. On a half-dozen levels. I knew, of course, that there were people who went out and spent tens of thousands of dollars on a night out. But the idea of that happening never seemed real to me. I guess because it was a world that never really interacted with mine.

And yet, this article is a perfect example of how with the right set of genes, someone from my world could interact with the other. I mean, I have female friends who, given the right twists and turns, could be a club girl from the article. Somehow, that brings a concreteness to something that previously seemed very otherworldly to me.

Also, the article links to the one female's blog, where this line made me laugh:

"I still don’t have a “real” job. Don’t plan on getting one. It has been implied by many that this makes me less…less of an adult, less of a worthy mate, less of a human…a disappointing woman, daughter, college graduate.

I have found most people who thought this way were really boring. "

It's just...I find everything about this woman so unbelievably absurd. Her pretentiousness would be offensive if it wasn't so laughable. But that just drives home the point, I guess. I cannot, for the life of me, ever really understand her world.

I'm rambling, I guess. Anyways, the main point is that I thought the article was interesting, not the actual story (who gives a shit about whores and clubs), but for the subtexts. What it says about us as people, as a society.

A Look Inside the Life of Rachel Uchitel and Fellow VIP Hosts and Bottle Girls -- New York Magazine

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Breakfast at Tiffany's, man.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're totally right, of course. It's not anything new--hell, it's the world's oldest profession (a constant irritation to those of us in the world's second oldest profession). But I guess it's the...the scale of things? Ten of thousands of dollars. The waste is Romanesque.

And the perceptions involved. I mean, it's a job, and that's fine. It doesn't make you worse than anyone (the opinion of the maligned "9-5ers") or better than anyone (apparently Kelly's opinion).

And I guess beyond that, I can't understand how anyone with the money these men have, which one would think would imply a certain basic fucking sense, could still be reduced to a groping teenage boy by a pairs of breasts. Are we really that base? That easily impressed?

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So..... they're professional sluts?

(and I will be honest, I couldn't make it through a single full page of that whole article. I actually started clicking on the ads when I got bored.)

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Maybe it's because she doesn't have a modicum of intellect in that shriveled up prune called a brain of hers to engage in a smart and interesting conversation.
    Ugh, I don't know what I find more disgusting, her stupidity or that she's probably a power plant of STDs.

Go to college kids and get good grades, get a job that both pays good and something you like, marry someone, and live a good long life.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love the implication that the article I post is someone undeserving of your attention--the dissonance of reading a post like that in TFW GD is delicious.

missingthepoint.jpg

First off, the article notes that she is, in fact, a college graduate. And she does, in fact, have a job she likes and that pays well. Marriage? I mean, why is that a standard for a successful life?

And living a good life? What's that mean? I mean, that's the question, right? She makes people happy, she's happy, what's the problem? Or is it more complicated than that?

Beyond that, I somehow doubt that she's stupid. Her world view might be drastically different from mine, or yours, but that's more a product of environment than anything else, I think. And the STD comment, frankly, isn't worth a response.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, one of the posters said it best

I hate the references to tiger woods. To jump on my soap box for a minute... Tiger Woods knew what he was doing. He is married to a gold digger and he was screwing women that are gold diggers. Where he messed up was trusting them. As you can tell by the way he was brought down, he wasn't very good at cheating. The asshole the media has portrayed him of being isn't true.

Those women right from the start knew they could turn this screw into a HUGE payday. Why else did they save all those voice mails and text messages? Now those women are being paraded as champions for the female cause. Bull *&^%!!! They are hookers plain and simple.

Did you know what Tiger Woods nickname in college was? Urkel!! Chicks didn't beat down his dorm room to hook up. It wasn't until he won a couple of green jackets that women started falling in love with him. Money makes anyone look handsome or beautiful. I just hope Tiger has a prenub (which he probably doesn't).

Yeah, i know Tiger Woods didn't do the honest thing but didn't both parties get what they wanted? Woods got laid and the women got some of his cash. If anything, the only person being exploited here is Tiger.

8. Gigatron_2005

Oh its you. Taking things personally from the start again I see. Well, I will just tell you that the article seems like an absurd and unreal fantasy land. And not the good kind of absurd and unreal fantasy, like Star Wars. I'm talking about the bad kind of absurd and unreal fantasy, like the Star Wars prequels; where you have no relation of what is going on with the characters and you just dont really care. You said yourself that the story was absurd and unrelatable.

But go ahead and take things personally if you want.

That said, the idea of the article is interesting (people in their own reality), but wow is it a chore to actually go through.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I wanna marry her, sounds like my type of broad.

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Actually I didn't even read the article past a paragraph and what I did read I forgot it all while typing my post. My bad :lol 

So she's a college graduate but she's a prostitute? Sure, if having sex with multiple people makes them happy, let them be. Doesn't change my opinion of them though.

True, unfortunately. There are guys in my school who could drive Cthulhu mad with the way they look. They come from wealthy families but are just frigging disgusting, looking like crap and coughing up tar from the amount of cigarettes they smoke. I don't get girls because I'm a fan of a franchise based off of a toyline and have a passion for Paleontology. Go figure *rolls eyes*

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I can agree to that.

This is tiger woods with zero money and in college
    [​IMG]

This is Tiger woods now
    [​IMG]

Any difference? You'll have to check his bank statement lol

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congratulations, in your attempt to mock someone, you've made yourself look ignorant.

The particular woman who made that blog post emphatically denies sleeping with her patrons. Which you would know if you'd read the article, but hey, it's always more fun to post vitriol, innit?

But you're making one of my points for me, I guess. There's this whole culture that's so totally different from the one I--or you--belong to. And vice versa, of course. And it's just so much easier to pass judgment or reject as differing from your norm. How is your criticism of what she does (or rather, what you assumed she did) or who she is any more rational that the rejections of evolution you're so quick to rebut? I mean, not that being a bottle girl is supported by a scientific theory, but your distaste of it is as arbitrary and framed by your upbringing as advocates of creationism are by their own.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, please. I'm a fan of the same toy line, and I'm also a train wreck of a human being--I have political and social views that are completely unacceptable in polite society, I'm incapable of sitting in a restaurant with my back to the door, I say "fuck" every five or ten words, and yet I date plenty.

Pretending your lack of money is the reason you don't get women accomplishes one thing: preventing you from correcting the actual underlying problems.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My buddy's older sister dated him in college. Irene's a bright gal, she stood up for him, even wrote this essay for golf.com:

Tiger Woods girlfriend speaks out - Tours & News - Golf.com

So I'd imagine the culture of call-girls, no dating, no strings, just fun with freedom, hit the dude like a truck once he turned pro. And personally, I think she's slamming my buddy a little, with that whole "first in my family to get a degree" thing. But it's just an older sister thing, probably.

15. Gigatron_2005

Nah. Women really like money, or at least like the appearance of having lots of money. It seems to override a lot of personal flaws. According to women I know, I have a lot of great personal traits. None of these traits seem to override the whole being a nerd thing. I suspect that if I were rolling in the dough, women would find the time to overlook the personal flaws that are apparent at first encounter.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You must love libraries.
    All those books you can read simply by looking at their covers.

You seem to think that someone in the sex industry is "a power plant for STDs" as you put it. Perhaps if you thought for a minute you might realise that if sex is the way she gets money then she's going to take precautions so she doesn't get a STD.

But I guess in your world, everything is black and white and all people in the sex industry have STDs.

Cue giant rolleyes.gif.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    We've been over this time and time again in GD, but I am going to emphasize that men with money or the appearance of money isn't the sole, determining factor in making a man appealing. I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and say that this isn't my own personal opinion, but a relatively general consensus among men: The four general tenets of being an appealing guy to the opposite sex are...

* Appealing physique
    * Appearance of wealth
    * Sense of fashion that matches the woman's
    * Level of intelligence that is desirable to the woman

Any ONE of these can be the sole reason that a woman becomes very attracted to a man. Combinations of any of the above four make a man that much more attractive to a woman. I mean, fuck, there are TONS more reasons out there, but, again, I'm going to conjecture that most of those reasons can be bored down into one of those four. I'll restate something we say a lot on the boards - personal experience does not equal unilateral rule.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

...and yet, I was (until very recently) working poor, and yet, I never had a problem despite being of average appearance (at best). And even now, while I am comparatively well-paid, I date women who make as much or more than me.

Dude, you can go on and on about what bitches women are, but let's be real. You've been open and honest often enough about your striking lack of success that it just comes off as sour grapes. Congratulations, your female friends tell you that you're cool. So you assume it's your lack of money--but why isn't it possible that your friends are just being nice to you?

And hell, beyond that, most men don't "have money." That's why being rich stands out. And yet...most men date. So where's the disconnect? Just a buncha gold diggers settling for Bubba Burgers 'cause they couldn't land the filet mignon?

Please tell me that's what it is. 'Cause it'll explain so much about who you really are.

tl,dr: e'erbody knows you got burned (or never even made it far enough for that to happen) and now youre crabby

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've read that before. What a trip about the connection--you're like the Forrest Gump of random murders and scandals.

LIES

20. Gigatron_2005

Yes. Its possible that they're just being nice, and that is a real downer. And I dont know if women are just settling or not. I have no idea what is running through their heads. That said, money seems to be a large factor that can override many other factors.