Customs: Art, Skill or Both ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nemesis Predaking, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had this conversation with a few kitbashers, with varying opinions
    Is what we do as Kitbashers, Art, Skill or both ? Personally, I think it's a skill.
    Sure there is artist creation & you need to be artistic, but is it worthy to call "Art" ?
    You could go as far as to say Kitbashing is an Artform, but at the crux of that, you would still be calling it art.

That's just my :2c: 

I'm interested to here what others have to say on this.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I consider it a combination of both.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the creativity and ideas spawn from your artistic ability, while part of the engineering and technique spawn from the skills learned. Some may say the actual engineering is an art, some can see a more artistic/creative way to connect A to B. Some rely more on learned skill (ie technical drafts and mathematical resources) to connect A to B.

Same question often arises in web design/development. I've seen computer engineers create some very functional great websites, but I've also seen some art background people do better websites (and often much more aesthetically pleasing)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I honestly believe the two are one and the same.

"Creativity" is the mental aspect of it, while "skill" is the physical. Both take practice, and most are initially good at one and not so much at the other. It's combining the two elements that make art Art.

My favorite example is comic books. Most need a creative writer and a skilled artist for the book to be good, for it to become the art form it is. Very few successful comic books have a writer and an artist who are the same person. It often doesn't work because most people work more with one side of the brain than the other, and Art needs to satisfy both. Both the creative aspect and the logistic aspect.

A LOT of people here (myself included) are great- fantastic creatively, but lack the technical and engineering skills to make an alright custom outstanding. You get good when you find a way to get both working together.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I also think one cannot learn how to be creative, but can learn skill.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd have to say that its a combo of both, but maybe more towards the skill side of the combo....its art, but it also takes skill to pull it off. The more complex the bash, a higher level of skill comes into play....just my opinion.

....you speak the truth.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I disagree strongly. Kind of. Learning and applying new skills expands the possibilities of what can be done, and what is believed can be done. So while it'd be weird to explicitly learn creativity, I believe it can be built upon or grow. As a person's skill set grows.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think it's a bit of both, but more on the skill side of things. As F_R and PK mentioned, you can learn skill even if you lack total creativity. I see it actually as a branch of 3-D art in a way. You are dealing with 3-D objects, some of which are sculpted or built, but it definitely takes skill to do what some do. It easily falls into both categories......art and skill.

I can take Joe Blow who knows nothing about how customs are done, teach him the skills to do exactly what I do on a certain kitbash, and he could possibly pull it off to some degree based on what was shown or taught. Some are definitely more creative than others AND have the skills to back it up. But, there are those that lack creativity and prosper based on what they've seen or the skillset(s) they've learned from others.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with that too. If a person has some minute talent at being creative, then yes, that can be expanded.

But if a person has no creativity in them at all, then I don't think one can learn that....learning a skill, that's totally different.

Its like being "book smart" but dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to common sense. One can learn and study all the books they want, but if one is lacking/has no common sense, they're still an idiot.

10. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Creativity is the idea, skill is the execution. Blending those is where the true "works of art" are created.

I think I'm far better at the idea side, both in repaints and in my professional life. I chalk up my skill weakness to a lack of development in my skill set, or in simple terms: I need to practice more.

There is a well known quote that escapes me, but to paraphrase:

The difference between an amateur and a professional is that the professional practices a whole lot more.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It's definately a very blurry line. But I tend to see customs more as a sort of 'fanart', personally. Others might disagree with that though.

12. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say creativity is what pushes out skill at this. You can learn to do tile work, or wood work, or paint a car...there are methods and rules to follow...but this. much like doing amazing wood work, or tile work, or custom work on cars becomes art.....

13. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is kind of silly. Art is skill. That is what it means, "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others." In fact, often times someone who is very skilled at something not aesthetic is still called an artist because they are so skilled.