Art Jams

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Aernaroth, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Not quite sure where to post this, or if they'll be interest, but I came across this today and figured I'd share it.

The Line it is Drawn #86 – Classic Paintings, Comic Book Style | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

It's a collection of pieces some artists (both "amateur" and "professional") where classic art pieces are reinterpreted using comic characters. A lot of Lichtenstein, which is somewhat cheating, IMO (although I guess the reinterpretation does fit the original style), but some of the stuff is pretty cool to compare and contrast modern graphic art with more classical styles, as well as a commentary on the characters used in the reinterpretation. it also has this:

[​IMG]

I find these art jams endlessly entertaining, and I think the sort of subgenre of "crossover art" we seem to be seeing more and more of these days in terms of posters, t-shirts, prints, and just internet art, is really cool.

So I don't know, maybe post some interesting art jams / collaborative gallery shows related to comic art that you've come across, or maybe some interesting pieces of comic art that sort of blur the boundary between different artistic schools.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    When you said Jams, I thought you meant something else which is becoming quite popular. This is more of an homage series. Still cool nonetheless.

3. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well, the jam refers to a bunch of artists coming together and all working on the same idea or concept or theme, but yeah, this particular series was based on homages.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah yes, the entire thing as a whole if one project is a jam. I was thinking about something common on the comic podcast I listen to.

[​IMG]

5. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Here's a blog that basically does nothing BUT art jams or themed series.

PLANET-PULP // CELEBRATING PULP CULTURE

They've got james bond, disney, indiana jones...

And here's a gallery show / art jam that opens THIS WEEK!

Pokemon: Battle Royale

And a Lovecraft one (with some notable pros)

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/12/lovecraft-art-meme

Gallery 1988 seems to be doing a retro-pop culture gallery show nearly every couple weeks!

Welcome to Gallery1988 Melrose & Venice, Los Angeles | Old School Video Game Show - Originals

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    "Trust me, everyone will love these flames. Chicks will come swarming to you!"