Army of Two insight.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Mar 6, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, I would have a true full review here, but so far I have only played Army of Two with my friend, and havent gotten to exparament around with the teammate AI or do any of the multiplayer (aside from split screen coop), so I didn't really experience the whole game, but I do want to share what the game is like.

To start, Army of Two is about two US Army Rangers, Salem and Rios, that become mercenaries for a cooperation called SSC. Salem is the youngest and the most care free while Rios is the oldest and more suspicious of things. The game follows this duo from when they operated in 1993 as Army Rangers in Mogadishu, then became mercs fighting terrorists and insurgents. The game's story reflects off of things that has happened in history such as September 11th and the 2nd American assault on Iraq. The game's story kind of goes onto a conspiracey, but I don't want to talk too much about this. It's a decent enough plot to get the action going in the direction it needs to.

The game's combat is about two man tactics. I want to state that in this game, if you do not work with your partner, just basicly be two guys who gun and run, you will lose. One of the primary elements of the game's combat is the Aggro meter. If you've played MMORPGs before, then may be familar with the term Aggro and it does work very similar to how this game does it. Aggro is basicly the attention players recieve when fighting. As you shoot and kill enemies, you draw more attention to yourself and more enemies will begin shooting at you, that's bad for you, but your teammate doesnt get as much attention, so he can flank and surprise the enemy. Controling the flow of aggro is an important element. One player could draw in the enemy attention while the other moves in and does damage, as soon as the second player starts doing his work, the aggro will be drawn to him. You can also help your teammate out if he's taking in too much fire and damage by drawing attention to yourself. The aggro is this game does make combat look a little artifical, but it's not without reason. I can relate to situations in my airsoft games where my opponents would be shooting, and my attention is more focused on them (because they're the primary threat), while their team mates are flanking.

I want to give credit and really ingenious cover system this game has. It's not like Gears of War or Rainbow Six Las Vegas, but the principle is still the same. You dont hit any special buttons to hide behind and shoot around a wall (aside from maybe the crouch button for obvious reason). You just move your character to the next peice of cover, the camera may adjust it's angle a little bit (most of the time the camera doesnt even have to adjusts), then as you shoot, your character will reach his gun over the peice of cover and fire, automatically! There is no special button for you to hit to shuffle into that cover, you just move the object, thats it. There is another button ("Y" for Xbox) that'll help assist you into getting into cover, but not required, this button will have your character slide, roll, or hop over objects.

The controls are pretty basic, Left stick moves, right sticks looks, right trigger fires, left trigger zooms in or "aim" it works basicly you use the left trigger to make the cross-hair move slower, zoom in slightly, and make your shots not spread so much. If you have sniper rifles, then you just look through the scope and zoom in. I'm not crazy at how some of the weapons are selected. First you have to hold the left bumper (Xbox 360 controls explained, sorry), then you use the D-Pad to select your primary gun, your secondary, your special and then grenades. What bothers me is the long process is takes to throw a grenade, you cant quickly chuck them. Your primary gun can get a shotgun and even a grenade launcher attachment too, but the same issue is you cant quickly swap to the weapon in tight situations. Sometimes it felt it wasnt even worth bothering with the attachments at all. You can hold down the right bumper to do special commands with your partner, such as syncornized sniping (more useful if the partner is AI, players together can just snipe without having to hit anything special), and swaping weapons. They're not important commands, but can come in handy. X is to reload, A is the use key, B is to cancel stuff, and clicking the left stick makes you crouch.

You can perform certain maneuvers with your partner. One team mate can grab riot shields, and in some cases even rip off car doors, the other team mate can then get behind the shield carrier and shoot over the now mobile cover. Players can hoist each other up. A special "back to back" shootout happens at certain points in levels. Players basicly enter a psudo bullet time sequence, and the players go in a crazy shootout. The strategy is to make sure that your are back to back, your armor is weakest behind and you take more damage if you dont posistion yourself correctly.

Sense you play as mercenaries, you get money for doing objectives and bonus objectives and then you get to spend your money! There're plenty of guns in this game to buy and then plenty of upgrades to buy for your gun. You can upgrade gun barrels to do more damage, stocks for better accuracey, cartridges for more ammo per clip, silencers (suppressors if you're going to give a crap), attach shields, and you can even add some bling to you gun. The "bling" isnt really customizable, it's more or less a different skin on your gun that add's slightly more aggro, most of the time the're some really ugly patterns, but there're some nices ones too (Favorite so far is my Famas that's chrome with a golden magazine). You can buy different mask patterns for your helmet too.

The enemy AI is not bad, but there's a slight pattern they follow, and you can see it if you play long enough, also thanks to the aggro system, the AI is also a bit manipulative and can be easy. You'll have some smart and dumb enemies. Most bad guys however are good shooters, if you're in open ground and you've got some aggro on you, they will hit you. The AI will mostly just shoot the wall you're hiding behind than, but only if you're taking cover properly. I've seen an enemy hide behind a sign, his legs are exposed so I blasted those, and then another enemy hid in the same damn spot, blasted that dudes legs out too! Then I would have enemies pin me down, a small group move forward, they would pin me down, then the group in the back advances. The AI doesn't like to stay still, if you get too close to their cover, they'll move back and if you keep getting closer, they fall back some more and then guess what happens? You run into more enemies! I feel that the enemy AI does know when to advance and when to fall back, the shooting can go on for a very long time.

Other things I'll just quickly summarize, the music is cool, it fits the environments and the mood. The Graphics are nice. Do not play with the children around, this game has very harsh and rough language, not as bad as Kane & Lynch, but people are yelling, giving viloent threats and saying "F*** THIS S***!" or maybe "Die mother f******!" The campaign is short but very action packed. I havent tried the multiplayer but from what I understand, it's a 2 vs 2 match with loads of enemy AI in the middle and the players have to complete their objectives in order to win (not kill the next guy).

Pros:
    +Guns! Lots of things to do with your guns!
    +Teamwork is a must.
    +Graphics
    +Really effective cover system.
    +Lots of action.
    +This is like the ultimate co-op game.

Cons:
    -Aggro system is a little confusing and also can make the battles be a little too predicable.
    -Enemy AI is also manipulative.
    (Forgot to add) - Although cool looking, melee attacks are activated sloppy.

Hope this helps explain at what Army of Two is like. I would've given a score and stuff but I havent tried out every feature yet.

2. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

"lose", not "loose"
    how come so many people get this wrong?

3. DaggersRage

Fixed. Anything else?

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rolleyes: 

"Lose," not "loose".
    How come so many people spell this wrong?

Capitalize the first letter in a sentence, even if it is an incomplete statement, and punctuate at the end of each sentence. Also, "get" is an incorrect way of using the word in the context of that sentence. People are so quick to cast stones about spelling, but their grammar is through the pooper :D  It's a message board, not an English paper.

That was a good review Dagger. I am seriously thinking of picking this game up now.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And while I'm not a gamer, this sounds AWESOME. Or least innovative, which is halfway to being the same thing. Now I just need a friend with whatever system this is on to buy it.
    Oh, okay. In the future, I'll be happy to help you out with your grammar and spelling every time you slip up.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said, my friend. :)  After Dagger works his butt off to type that in-depth review, the only thing he has to say is a spelling correction. I should let Smasher "lose" on this guy... hheheh kidding.

I'm thinking of picking up Army this weekend or next (pay Day). It looks like a lot of fun and there aren't enough coop games out there.

7. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Finally got it, waiting for my friend to get home with his copy so we can do the campaign :) 

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't see in there anything about Splitscreen. Does it support?

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want!

10. DaggersRage

Wow! How did I forget to mention that? Yeah, me and my friend where playing it split screen. On a projector with surrond sound too! The game is so fricken loud. :) 

So, here's more news to add. I have gotten to finally try the game offline, by myself with the team mate AI. You can control your AI partner with the D pad to do commands such as regroup, hold posistion, and advance. There's actually a 4th command, but it looks like it's used for certain occassions, I think it might be a snipe command, but I'm not sure on that. You also issue to your partner if he's going to be agressive or not. Basicly you can order him to draw aggro or not. I would draw aggro to myself, then tell my partner to advance, my teammate would then start moving forward but wouldnt attack until he had the right opportunity. I wouldn't say he was doing stealth kills, but he was defently attacking the enemy while they where attracted to me. He maneuvered around the battlefield from cover to cover. Hell I got injured one time, my partner dragged me into cover so he could revive me!

EDIT: Well, I should've talked about this a little more. My partner's AI is good on the most part, but there're some times I didnt notice him shooting at the bad guys. Like, he advanced forward and I'm pretty sure wasn't taking any fire, but then he would not shoot the bad guys. I quickly fix that by telling him to go agressive and the madness continued. I notice a lot of other players from various forums complaining about the partner AI, but I have no problem with it. Of course, they probably wern't using the squad commands which is a bit of a requirement if you want to get through the combat. This game is not Halo where your you just can run around gunning thinking you can do this by yourself, you'll need your AI partner to do more than just follow you around.

11. Maximus Prime

Maximus Prime The original MP

I'm hoping it doesn't take me too long to get this game. I'd rather jump in while you're all still learning rather than play 'catch-up' later on.

So with the multiplayer, is there a fight between two or more teams through LIVE?

12. DaggersRage

It's just 2 vs 2. Not 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2.

Now that may not sound like much, but there's a catch. I still havent done multiplayer myself, but I've read some things. The matches are objective based, the two teams compete to complete their objectives. What makes this whole thing a complete mess is that enemy AI is scatted all over the place shooting at both teams. So it's you vs the AI vs the other team. Technically the two teams may never have to meet each other to complete their objective and win.

13. Maximus Prime

Maximus Prime The original MP

That actually sounds interesting. I figure it could get boring just hunting down another team of two, especially if the maps are a good size.

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

A friend and myself did a marathon of the game last night, and wow. Decent length (about 10 hours, give or take) and it was pretty awesome. Some really memorable moments (The end of level 4! ultra-wow.) and some angering moments(trying to beat the last couple shootouts at 5 in the morning with a partner who was no better than a grandma... ouch) but overall it was an awesome game.

Havn't tried multiplayer yet, but that's what were about to get started on. Hope it's good.

Minigun = RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Army of Two Thread

Who all on here has this game? Anyone willing to team up from time to time?

16. DaggersRage

Hell yes me!

Although if you want to do it today, Ill be home late. I get off work on Mondays at 9PM EST.

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Army of Two is Kane and Lynch with good gameplay.

BUY IT NOW.

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just saw a commercial for this last night and I think it looks like a great game. I might have to check this one out too.

19. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Just rented it today, so I'd be up for some co-op. I'm digging the game so far. And looking through the different upgrades for weapons, I'll admit, I lol'd at how awesome/crazy the guns can look.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So between this one and CoD4 wich one will you recomend me first?