Army Building

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boy who screams, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

So I bought two Movie Air-Raids today, because they just seemed to be perfect toys for Army Building, a trait that has always been important to me, even way back when I was collecting LEGO, I always had to have at least four of any 'soldier' design.

So my question is, what molds or repaints do you guys think would make excellent Army Building toys?

Barring the obvious Classics Seeker mold.

2. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I've seen armies (fleets? Wings? Flights?) of the LoC starscream mold, so that'd be my first pick. The energon terrorcons and omnibots would be good also. Movie Air Raid being a repaint of one of the later.

3. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Scout class figs would be best imo.

A wave of Cybertron/Galaxy Force Brushguards, Hardtops and Scattorshots.

For a more animal like force stock up on Scrapmetals, divebombs, battle ravages and doomlocks.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Energon Terrorcons/omnicons (scouts) are really the only time army builders have been in recent toy lines/shows. Oh and Cybertron sideways and the crapmetals. I personally bought a couple landmines from the movie toyline to have in my "convoy to mission city". Come to think of it any of the sector seven bots would be good army builders and most are still on toy shelves

5. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree about the basic/scouts. specialy the scrapmetals.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

for tfu, armies, what i do, is i look for a transformer that is compatable with that line, then if i like that toy, i might buy more then one, i look to it to see if there is a repaint of it.

just because i do not want to have the same toy twice, but a repaint, makes it look different enough for me, to say "alright i'll go for it" but only if it is actually a new character.

for example Movie Bumblebee, and cliffjumper, while i like that mold, i just wish that the Stealth Bee, was named something else, i mean, the the look of the whole thing reminds me of either Waspinator, or Buzzsaw from beast wars, it would of been a fantastic choice to name him that! especially since they made waspinator, bumblebee's "nemesis" in animated, they could of did the same for the movie.

but sadly they had to name it the bumblebee, and keep it an autobot, when it would of worked so much better as a con lol!

7. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

The movie deluxe "drones" (Swindle, Camshaft, etc...) could work, but it'd be a more expensive way to do it. Unless you could find a handful on sale, scout class would be better.

The Animated Activators could make a cheap army building option, especially if you are happy/able to repaint. We've seen a few Bumblebee-style bots in Animated cartoon so there is some evidence for it as well.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Insecticons.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well I'm army building the new universe line. Just because I can afford it.
    Seriously if you find a accesible set of figures you can afford like movie air raid.
    Then yeah go for it. Its your money.

I prefer the movie skyblast scout paintscheme to air raids though.
    accented grey.

10. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Ahehe. I always wanted to get him as a 'Nemesis Bee' Figure!

Yeah, the movie drones all look pretty ugly to me though, I though about it, and I hear they had good articulation, but there proportions were retarded, especially Dreadwing, who looked like a crap version of the Starscream mold (an excellent mold, btw)

And the problem with activators is that they all have to much personality. If you get a bunch of them, unless you do some sculpting, they all just look like a bunch of Starscreams, Bumblebees etc.

I wish I had money to army build with Acid Storm, damnit!

Interestingly, it was the green camo that attracted Air Raid to me as an Army Builder.

As another question, who else here likes to army build?

11. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I always army build drones. So I bought 2 each of all the drones from Beast Machines. 2 each of Sonic Attack Jets, Motorcycle and Tank Drones, Blastcharges, Obsidians, Spy Streaks, Mirages and Scavengers. I still need to get a couple more Strikas and repaint the one I have to be show-accurate like I did with Obsidian.

For Energon, I got 2 each of every Omnicon except Arcee and of every Terrorcon. With Cybertron I did the same with Scrapmetals, even painting 2 each of colors that didn't get made here by Hasbro.

For Classics, I guess the Seekers could be counted as army building, but I don't really count them. They're all colored differently and there's only one of each, so that doesn't really count in my book.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Movie deluxe Payload,swindle/camshaft and overcast/dreadwing are great contender.

so are scrapmetals and terrorcons.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

And that's where it pays to employ a little creative thinking. Why would you not buy a fig just because it's not a new character, when you could just as easily buy that fig, and make it the character you were wishing it had been? It's like all the crazy fandom bitching when a character can't have their original name. Get it home, call it what you like! My Universe Tankor's name is Jeffrey. :p 

Get the fig, give it a new name, get some Reprolabels faction stickers if you want to switch sides. Sorted.

14. xNotMyFuturex

xNotMyFuturex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been considering army building with Universe Acid Storm, especially now with the FALL20 discount at HTS. A drone army of Acid Storm seekers would look pretty dope next to the rest of the Classics seekers.

15. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Man you can army build that Acid Storm, use the fall20 code at hasbro toyshop.com for 20% off and free shipping. I got 3 of them flanking my Delux Galvatron. That will cost you a little more than 3 basics but looks a hell of a lot better.

16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I keep dreaming that Hasbro makes a deluxe G1 Scourge for the Universe line. I'm afraid I'd have to buy several of those to build an army of Sweeps!

17. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Scrapmetal.

18. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Interesting thread. For me I go for KOs for my army building

19. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Yeah! Those seeker drone KOs look awesome!

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd love to see a Deluxe version Scourge and a slightly different Scout version for the Sweeps. I don't know why, but I always got the impression that the other Sweeps were a little smaller than the boss.