Army advertising in TF isn't a bad thing

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

As you know advertising in the Transformers movie is everywhere. Even in the old cartoon some transformers turned into sweet cars all of us kids wanted when we grew up (Tracks' corvette, Sidswipe's lamborhgini etc.) but the movie is alot more advertising, which isn't really a bad thing if you ask me. But some people actually use one of the advertisments to use for their negative reviews. And this advertisment is just about everywhere in this movie but it's barely noticable, since we see it every day and in every other action movie.

That's right, the Army.

Really? I don't see whats the problem with advertising the army/navy in this film. There's nothing wrong with something like this in movies, especially one like Transformers. So what's wrong with this movie inspiring people to join the armed forces? With more soldiers in our army fighting for our rights wouldn't you feel even safer?
    Not to mention the benifits of joining? Free scholarship, army pays for everything etc.
    A little pride in your country is not a bad thing at all. I really can't believe people actually use this as a reason to back up their reactions to the Transformers movie franchise.
    Hell, I even know some of my distant relatives and friends (Who just left this year from graduating high school to join.) who saw this movie and they joined too, and Transformers actually boosted their inspiration even more.

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    this is where it can get dangerously political.

You say the army propaganda in the movie is barely noticeable, and yet you also mention friends and relatives who enlisted after seeing the movies.

3. Tyrannosaur

How is it political? We are discussing advertising not Politics.

What I'm asking is why are people looking at this in a negative way? I really don't see it. And I didn't put it as barely noticable. We see advertising like this everyday so it's practically something common people see.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    not everyone feels the same way about the army that you do.

Bring up the military and it's just a matter of time before people voice disapproval of how it is used, and just what people are being encouraged to sign up for.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yep, very close to crossing a line with this thread.

However, I think you like to make mountains out of molehills. I've yet to read or hear any real criticism of Army advertising/propaganda in either movie. Point us to some sources railing against the representation of the army. I'd honestly like to see them, but I doubt you can provide them as I think you're trying to make these movies into some sort of modern movie martyr...if that's even possible.

6. Tyrannosaur

True Bumblethumper you do have a point. Why do people dislike it? Especially now people are disliking the advertising for the Army in Transformers. I think it's another BS reason haters bring up just to prove their point. I have never seen anyone complain about advertising for working for the government or army until Transformers came about. Noone complained about it when movies like Saving Private Ryan came out or any other action movies since then.

SMKSpy I've been seeing this mainly over at the boards on IMDb and many of the negative reviews with the first movie. Though IMDb is barely monitered by it's admins and anything can sprout into a flame war. Back in late 2007 a massive flame war erupted on the Cloverfield boards LOL.

7. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    It's not advertising in my eyes. When I go to see this movie on Sunday and see the army scenes, I'm gonna be all like "Cool!", "Nice!", etc. But it's not gonna make me think "Oh yeah, that's awesome. I think I'm gonna go enlist in the army now.". For one, I don't want to run the risk of getting killed in a bombing run. And two, I have a disability.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a problem with it because the movie is named transformers not Army. The final battle is the army versus the decepticons with autobot back up. I want to see the autobots fighting the decepticons. I really dont feel a need for such a military presence in the movie. It's just cuz bay likes to play with their toys

9. smkspy

But your problem isn't with the representation of the army, but their role in the movie in the final scenes. The OP has magically come up with the idea that "haters" are claiming that the Army uses the movie as a form of propaganda to increase enlistment numbers.

Here is some honest advice, whatever you read at IMDB you can pretty much disregard. Taking ideas from there and places like youtube's comment boards are just plain silly. It really is internet anarky over there. However, you'll probably find that those many "haters" actually like the film, but they dislike the role of the military in the film. Criticism of the films doesn't always equal hating.

10. Tyrannosaur

Lol Surge. What is your disability if you don't mind me asking?

I see what your saying MegaHavok. But these events take place in the real world, and Autobots want to make peace with other races, so an alliance would be a good thing. The autobots need the human's help and vice-versa. I would like to see some more Bot on Con action and that's what I'll definetley get tomorrow at IMAX! :D 

11. Tyrannosaur

Let me see if I can find a review of the first movie on IMDb that claims this SMKSpy. Or the boards for TF2.

EDIT: Threads that reach a certain post limit (I think it's like 600 maximum) or some that are over a month old get deleted. Still looking for a review that states this. There are alot of negative reviews, and there's 77 pages. Though most reviews submitted are positive than negative.

12. smkspy

Not need really. I believe you if its coming from IMDB. I just have to roll my eyes that it really is the place that you're getting the ideas for your threads from.

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm good with all that stuff but I dont need all the constant establishing shots and military jargon that just kills time. For example the whole scenario with the military monitoring from the sub and tracking the sonar. It's totally pointless. That time could have been better spent on the revival process itself or anything else really. Also the whole final battle felt like a let down because it wasn't resolved by the heroes but faceless pilots and rail cannons

14. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

LOL. It doesn't work that way? ;) 

15. Tyrannosaur

Oh ok SMKSpy thank you for saving me the time LOL. The IMDb message board is a nuthouse and a troll breeding ground anyway.

And sorry yes some of my threads I started I got from idiots over at IMDb. I just like to read peoples responses to these trolls for the lulz.

16. smkspy

Exactly. I've seen anti-American threads over there for countless random movies like Austen Powers, Step Brothers, and Friday the 13th just to name a few. It really is a free-for-all where ideas and opinions are tossed around without really thought put behind them. If anything people hating on the military depiction over there aren't hating on the movie, but are hating on America itself.

17. Tyrannosaur

So true SMKSpy. It's like every Asshole in the world with a computer is dumped onto there and they try to be the biggest asshole they can be. I did make a few friends and some boards like Cloverfield aren't bad. Once in a while a board will explode like a supernova and a mob of idiots begin starting threads saying UR GAY UR GAY HAHAH LULZ
    then after they're reported several thousand times the admins finally came to their senses and banned the lil' bugger.

18. Magnimus

Magnimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anyone is interested in the issue of military influence in popular culture, there's a really good documetnary called MILITAINMENT, INC that is worth a watch.

You can watch it for free in low-res here: Militainment, Inc. | Media Education Foundation

19. Tyrannosaur

Interesting. Though after reading that summary I'm pretty sure noone wants to start a war just for the purpose of entertainment, people find war fascinating. I myself tune in to the HistoryChannel when nothing else is on and watch something on WWI or WWII. I'm interested in the machinery used. Tanks, APCs, weapons, ships I like to see how they work. Can't blame Brawl for scanning something as bad ass as a modified Abrams Tank.

War especially now is something in everyone's life (Trying not to take this to a political level) there's a war on every topic that is harmful to civilization. Terror, disease, money issues, drugs etc.

I don't think the portrayal of the Army/Navy in Transformers would offend anyone. It's not like Bay and Co. intentionally do it, it's just something we're surrounded by everyday and we've grown used to it.

20. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Well...it's actually a disorder. But a disorder is technically a disability ain't it? I'm not sure. Anyhoo, I have Asperger's Syndrome; a mild form of Autism. One of my major symptoms is eye contact. If anyone on this board were to meet me in person, I would not be able to look them in the eye. Plus, I get very panicky in large crowds, even to the point where I have to leave class a few minutes early to beat the hall rush; it's even in my IEP.