Arms Micron: paint v decals

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Unclejoe420, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Thought Id ask you folks for your opinions on this matter; having recently gotten into the Prime Arms Micron sets, I was kinda debating whether to use the decals, or maybe paint the areas for the decals. Ideally, I don't want to totally ruin the sets, but I don't want to leave them looking a bit plain either..

Any ideas would be cool!

UJ

2. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After putting together a few of these things, I'm thinking paint is the way to go. These are cheap plastic weapons and the stickers are not great quality, making them look even cheaper.

3. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would definately try paint first. If that doesn't go well you can put the stickers on over it.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Paint indeed. Stickers are not high quality and are often placed on or around parts that move and clash with each other in transformation, peeling the stickers off.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    That sucks if that is how they implemented the stickers.

I personally prefer Has/Tak giving me stickers. But that is for one simple reason. It keeps Has/Tak price down but gives me all the details I need on the figure through stickers, which should be cheaper to do then paint apps. With Hasbro especially, you need to go to Reprolabels to get all the details you want on a figure since they cheap out on the paint apps.

However, the stickers should be high quality.

The only question is, are the clearances big enough to not scratch the paint?

6. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I haven't necessarily found that yet. Breakdown's stickers seem to be placed well enough to avoid areas that could endanger them, and although Zamu's leg stickers do go over the mushroom caps that secure them to the body, it doesn't seem to affect anything yet. Granted, Breakdown is my only Arms Micron set so far, so I can't say for any of the others yet...

But I do agree that the stickers aren't very high quality at all. Some cut a bit too small, some cut a bit too large, and some may want to lift after awhile no matter how much you press them back down.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Only speaking from Breakdown and Terrorcon Cliffjumper [and their minicons], but I've had at least two stickers on each coming undone.

Breakdown's rear bumper sticker peels off at the corners because it's not cut for the right size, his knee stickers are an overlapping mess and the leg stickers on his rhino are a joke. And that's without even going over his foot stickers.

Cliff's front windshield stickers peel off at the corners where his headlights go to in robot mode, his wrist stickers bump and rub on each other in transformation and all the stickers on his jaguar saw are a joke with very casual handling.

I've very rarely had paint scratches noticeable on newer transformers. My Buster Optimus Prime is almost fully painted and has a much rougher transformation than the above four, yet he's fine. The most recent paint chip offender was MP Rodimus's spoiler.

I'm all for stickers as additional detailing [like on the MP seekers, to spice up their jet mode], but not for basic things. I've applied the wing stripe stickers on my MP Skywarp in 2006 and he still holds fine, it's those AM figures that are so cheaply executed.

8. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Just a couple on mine that lift. the left outer leg sticker on Breakdown, and the right sticker to the side of the the crystal. The knee stickers...I agree are an overlapping mess, especially the inner parts.

I'd paint the details in myself, but then the brushstroke patterns resulting from it would bug the hell out of me and I'm not very good at painting anyway. So I'll endure these until Reprolabels provides an improved version of these stickers. At least I kind of knew what I was getting into with mentions of the stickers being crap, and now I really know not to expect much from them...