Armorhide Trailer for Sale

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Ceerad, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I might be setting myself up for a warning here, but whatever. This is weak.

Delta Star did the fandom a favor by giving these out for free. It seems a little trashy to turn around and try to profit on a gift. That's your business if you want to do it. But I can see this lowering the chances of future freebies for the fans, if it's just assumed we'll turn around and sell 'em.

And 'one-of-a-kind' is more than a little dishonest. I've got one just like it in my display case, and so do lots of other folks.

3. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally understand what you're saying.
    Is it tacky to sell a gift? .....maybe.
    Thought about it for a while before I listed it.
    But I'm moving ,so I'm not going to have the same amount of space that I've got now.
    I need to start whittling down my collection.
    The first thing to go is going to be all the non transforming items and all the custom painted items.
    This just happens to be the first one.
    I buy quite a bit from Reprolabels and I really do appreciate and freebies that they throw in.
    Plus, it gives someone that missed out on that particular freebie a chance to get a hold of one.
    But whatever, call me a dick if you want.

4. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    What freebie? The tractor/trailer combo for hotwheels was like $4.99 by itself, I think. Above that the time to actually apply it.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    where's MY props?? :mad  I designed the damned stickers. and you really ought to take the "one of a kind" part off.

6. canprime

canprime Well-Known Member

See, I hate this kind of argument.

On the one side I can see the issue people have with selling something like this. It rubs people the wrong way, I'm sure, that something you gave to somebody based on the same love of a hobby is not appreciated the way you want.

However, on the flip side, I see the point of not having a problem with selling it. I have a problem with someone giving a gift with expectations. Simply put, don't give something away with the expectation that you have some sort of say in what happens afterward. You gave it to the person, it is now their property and they have the right to do with it as they please.

See, I really hate these arguments.

OH and Redline, great job on the stickers. I love mine, now I just need to get an extra Armorhide to kitbash the trailer wheels.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, a tough one, gonna have to make like the Southpark kids and leave it alone, but mad props to Redline for the design and many thanks to Delta Star for sending me one! Too cool!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Citing your sources (e.g. plagiarism)

The major gripe here is the lack of proper citation. You make a custom? That's cool. You buy reprolabels? That's cool as well. Post an ebay auction with a custom with reprolabels? That's cool too. Those are all things that once you pay your money for, you have ownership of your work. Is this a "one of a kind custom"? That's pretty subjective, but I'd even give the benefit of the doubt and say "yes" because no one will ever make a custom 100% completely the same (the key is to be extremely techincal here) like yours.

However, the proper (and respectful) thing to do is cite your source. I don't know if you've ever had to write any kind of research paper or not, but not citing your sources is essentially plagiarism. In a scholastic setting, one can be totally dismissed from a place of study because of this (sorry, but I have 69 hours of graduate classes complete and I would NOT want to throw that away on something as ridicious as plagiarism).

When I post a thread of a custom I've made, if I got the idea elsewhere, I ALWAYS site my source. It's just respectful. Redline designed those labels and Delta Star/reprolabels.com produced them; they deserve their credit. ;) 

9. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did site Delta.
    I forgot the RL actually designed the decals.
    I can't go back and delete the "one of a kind", ebay doesn't allow you to change a description, only add to it.
    Sorry if this auction caused major stress to anyone.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I just want to be clear that I didn't say (or not say) who or what you did or didn't quote. However, I will say that it's always better to overstate your case than to understate it. I don't think anyone here is under any "major stress" other than yourself. If anything, not citing a source (as evidenced on this thread) can potentially rub someone the wrong way, even if that wasn't your intention. ;) 

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    so then you can add to the description that I did the labels. :)