Armored Core: For Answers

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ziero, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

So I know it's not the newest game out there, but there's never been a topic about this game, and I find that surprising seeing as we're basically a bunch of robot lovers anyway.

For those who don't know much about Armored Core, you can learn more about it here: Armored Core: For Answer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just borrowed this game from a relative not too long ago after being away from the series for some time. After playing two of the three PSone games, and almost all (only missed one) of the PS2 versions, I ended up completely skipping the first Next Gen version due to various reasons. But after trying out this newer game, I fell right back in love with it and remembered all the reasons why it was so great in the first place. But that alone wouldn't have been reason to make this topic, no it was something more that I had to share with fellow Transfans.

The other day I finally decided to combine my two favorite robot franchises into one awesome creation of ass kicking robot action. Making use of the new decal system, where you're able to place slightly customized images almost anywhere over your robot's main parts, I was able to create an Armored Core based on my Favorite Transformer. The hippest, slickest, smoothest cat in the Auto-bot ranks, right hand man to Prime himself, the one and only Special Ops Agent who's always doin it with style, Jazz.

[​IMG]

I'm honestly suprised at how good he came out, the markings all look damn near perfect and the coloring is almost spot on. I definately put the new decal system to the test making this guy, and it paid off big time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But my favorite part is that he doesn't just look good, but he fights good too. It's a rare occurance when you can make a robot looks like another character in this game and still have it kick ass. But with a strong and accurate laser rifle as his main weapon, a small but powerful plasma rifle which when fired explodes with a brilliant flash of light and thunderous sound and a good old fashioned Grenade Cannon, which certainly burns down anything it makes contact with, Jazz comes armed with a payload that certainly fits his stylish nature (and matches up with his G1 tech specs).

The biggest pain in the ass to make was his emblem. In this game, you're given a blank slate with a maximum of 16 layers to work with, and a limited choice of prerendered images availible in prerendered colors. To make an image from scratch, I had to work with basic shapes in two solid colors, using one big piece as the bottom and covering it up bit by bit with resized objects to match the color of the solid background. In the end though, while far from perfect, it came out pretty damn nice.

[​IMG]

Of note, I used this emblem twice on Jazz. Once on his right shoulder, and once on his crotch. I didn't want to place it in the center of his racing stripes because the image only works with the large white square and it would take up too much space on the stripe and leave little space for the number 4. Plus I felt it would stand out more if it was on his arm, which has a nice, large flat space to put it. I also added one to his crotch ala the G1 version...but apparently this game must have some sort of Auto-censoring there because the image comes odd inexplicably blurry. I guess to help prevent people from creating obscene images, as this game does have online play and the ability to trade Schematics with others, they just blurr any image added to the junk area. :lol 

Bein my first...and most likely last...homage design AC, I'm definately pleased with how he came out. Most of my other robots are "original" ideas, but each one had just as much work put into them to make them special like Jazz here. Though I don't have pics of the bots themselves, I did take some of their unique Emblems, which can be seen here. I started looking into some Video Capturing devices to get some better pics of my bots, because what's the fun of making a cool robot if you can't show it off, but I don't know much about them or how they work so I've been weary on buying anything. If anyone here knows a good way to get clear, crisp pictures of PS3 games, I'd love to learn more about it.

And if there are any other Armored Core fans out there, sound off. And if you play on PS3 let me know, maybe we can get in a match or something and I can show you Jazz up close and personal. And heck, if there are even any giant robot fans with a PS3/360 looking for a new, cheap game (you can pick this up for like 30-40 bucks my understanding) to try out, give this one a shot. The controls and designing quirks may take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, this game really starts kicking some major ass. Most missions are fairly short, but there's more then a few hair-pullingly tough ones, including multiple branching(though somewhat limited) mission chains to go through on repeat playthroughs. So sound off giant robot fans, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to meet you on the battlefield. Until then...

[​IMG]

Have a nice day!

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL TIME! :D 

No not really, honest! I just picked up this game with some of the christmas cash I got. It's not bad but I think my opinion of the game might be a bit skewed because I didnt enjoy AC4 at all. I tried doing some online play and got my ass kicked (gasp). I think that all that's left of the AC4A players are the dedicated bunch of hardcore Armored Core players, which I am not.

If anyone happens to still play the game, have any tips for whats good to use online and what's not? Also, I noticed the game has co-op play and I would love to exploit that feature. My gamertag is the sig so hit me up! :D 

By the way, them's some nice designs Ziero, too bad this replay came in 8 months later.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armoured core's core's multiplayer has always been broken I mean unless you have all the points and unlocked all the weapons you don't really stand a chance

I got 4 and 4A both fun but I could not really stick with it after I had done the solo mode stuff

4. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    i may pick this up tomorrow. I have a Gamestop gift card with some extra cash on it! anyone know what it costs used?

5. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I wish one of these would be ported to the PSP, cause I like the Mech designs.

Are they much of a radical change from Armored Core 3?

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's two PSP AC games available in north america right now. Armored Core Formula Front, and Armored Core 3 Portable (only available on the playstation network).

7. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I meant one of the 2 newer games. Would love me some portable Armored Core 4 action.

Though, it kind of seems detrimental on the PSP... the joynub is on the wrong side for aiming.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    joynub?

AC4 is pretty much the worst armored core game there is (to me and, well, just about everyone), if not the worst thing to ever come out of From Software. it doesnt feel like Armored Core at all, and I'm still shocked how hard they dropped that ball.

for Answer fixes many of the biggest problems with AC4, but it's still not back to the quality the series was at in the PS2 games. the game has just lost so much of it's soul.

9. DaggersRage

Dood! I saw some footage of that on gametrailers and it looks pretty fricken hawt! I'm going to have to get a bigger memory card for my PSP (1gig) for this, and Wing Commander 4.

10. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

4A is definitely the best AC game yet, it actually being fun and not awkward to control your Core.

Don't think I ever tried an online game after the first couple of weeks, same situation as DWG:2, nobody ever online! I never went through and unlocked all the parts so I'd get smacked down pretty easy anyway, can't remember if I even made my way through the arena fights in this one.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

If you just want to mess with the building aspects and skip all the "gaining parts through missions" bits, you can just dl an SS rank game save. It's what I did to get a better understanding of how each part works while figuring out what I should aim for getting in my real save file.

While I wouldn't put AC:4A at the top of the list, it's certainly one of the better installments and leaps and bounds better then AC4. Control and parts balance for AC:4A are top notch, but it's somewhat lacking in mission depth compared to some of the PS2 games, which had some obscenely long and difficult missions.

And yea, the online community isn't all there. But since it's so thinned out, most of them actually encourage using pre-played gamed saves for people to build a bot. As I said before, you could just DL a pre-played save and use that to mess around with part builds and try out all the different weapons and such. Since you can have multiple save files for your mission progress, you can have one save for your SS ranked DL'd file and another save for your normal, on your own mission progress.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

13. DaggersRage

^^^

Uh oh! :D 

14. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Hmm, Im gonna keep a close eye on this.

15. Argroh Valdios

Argroh Valdios Well-Known Member

4 and For Answer primarly focus on Nexts... 5 will have freaking EVA BESERK MODE...

also, for PSP, what hasn't been mentioned is Silent Line Portable and most recently, Last Raven Portable are out.

16. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

Recently I learned what "kitting" and "nerf" mean in gaming. I have an "broken" means, be could you be more specific?

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Hey guys,

I only tried these AC games with friends but I have a question:

Which AC games offer multiplayer and which offer online multiplayer?

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    All the PS3/360 games offer online multiplayer, in various forms.

All the PS2/PS1 games are limited to split screen local multiplayer.

19. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Next question:

I only have a PS2, what would you say are the best AC games for ps1 &/or ps2? What would be the best one for a beginner, someone new to the gameplay?

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the Armored Core game i had the most fun with was AC:Master of Arena

loved that one