Armada

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    So after being fairly G1/Classics for the longest time now, I've started watching Armada, and I've been enjoying it. So the question I have is about the toys. Due to not wanting to overload my collection, I won't be getting everyone. I'll likely skip on Megatron and Prime simply because I don't need MORE of them. Same for Starscream. But like Demolishor-I don't have a Demolishor. So I will be getting quite a few. The few questions I have are:

1) Which molds are the best? Anything "unskipable" or, on the other hand, terrible?

2) Best decos for each character?

3) Would they fit in with a classics collection? I plan to give them their own shelf, but still part of my "Classics" collection

4) Universe 2.0 Hot Shot or original Hot Shot?

2. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i love all the armada toys, but if your only getting a few,definately get tidal wave and red alert

3. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

I assume you won't be buying anything to keep MISC, so I'd go for Universe 2.0 Hot Shot. It has a fair amount of kibble, but it isn't a complete brick like the original. Other than that, I definitely agree with Demolisher- maybe get his parter, Cyclonus? Dunno what paint scheme, though. The originals are the best in my opinion, but you've also got the option of the Cybertron remolds (which do not come with minicons), and the "Unicron Battles" (which do). Just pick whatever colour fits your fancy.

On another note, I second Red Alert and possibly Jetfire. They're easily some of my favourites from the line.

4. elizasteave

elizasteave Well-Known Member

I agree with Crossfire. Some of the stuffs in Armada collections are not exactly like that of the original ones. This is the reason for which I didn't got any interest in buying these stuffs but I think I should give out a try to Unicron battles.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

1. Everything from the Armada era is blocky and limited in Articulation, mostly because of gimmicks. Armada Smokescreen and ESPECIALLY Sideswipe are notoriously bad figures, although the former's mini-con is one of the better ones. Tidal Wave is actually pretty articulated compared to the rest of the line overall, but you need an Armada Megatron (also very articulated outside of a very obvious need for knees) in order to use the armor attachment modes.

2. The original ones tend to be the best, excluding the obvious repurposeable repaints of Starscream as the other two original Seekers.

3. Outside of Armada Unicron (who is pretty much every Supreme sized Unicron ever, including the G1 head retool), the only figure from Armada I can think of who even comes close to being able to be used as a Classics figure is Sideways, simply by virtue of his nature as a multiversal entity/servant of Unicron (IIRC there's some really out-there cannon theory that every Sideways that ever existed is in fact the same one. As in Armada Sideways is one and the same as Movie Sideways)

4. Uni 2.0 Hot Shot has much greater articulation and a much more satisfying transformation, plus has something unique depending on which version you get (Henkei! Hot Shot has dual blasters, while Hasbro Uni. 2.0 Hot Shot has a reference to the infamous "jaAm" comic on his license plate and about 1/4th of the toy bio).

On the other hand, the original Hot Shot may lack a lot of fundamental articulation, but he has the powerlinx gimmick of his Jolt (who can stand up) attaching to his butt and revealing his axlezooka weapon. Additionally, he has a secondary "engine" accessory (used in at least one episode of the cartoon as his gun, but he can't hold it) that can "power up" his alt. mode, be attached to Jolt's underside for some reason, and attach to Hot Shot's robot chest as "body armor". Oh, and he has 5mm fist holes so he can use weapons like the Star Saber, while the Universe version ironically does NOT have 5mm fist holes and can only hold the blasters from the Henkei! version (and some weird gold plated knock off version of the Star Saber, but I never knew where that came from)

I do agree that you should get a Jetfire, though, preferably the original version. His gun makes the G1 laser shooting noise, excellent articulation considering he's really a powerup for the big, electronic Optimus Prime figure to attach to, and bears more than a passing resemblance to the obscure Autobot "Galaxy Shuttle" (as confirmed by Aaron Archer himself a long time ago on these boards)
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Galaxy_Shuttle
    (I guess that means he COULD serve as a classics Galaxy Shuttle, too, although it's a bit of a stretch)

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ^ when i said my classics collection, I'm retro-fitting them in. Like Classics Sideburn, or the Botcon Sharkticon. Retconning, thats the word. My cons are kinda thin, one of the reasons I might add them in. Maybe.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Good Molds:
    Tidal Wave
    Cyclonus
    Demolishor
    Wheeljack
    Red Alert

Skippable molds:
    Sideswipe
    Thrust (His Minicon, Inferno, is cool though)
    Scavenger (avoid like the plague)

The rest are ok. I do like the Armada toyline. While they aren't the most articulated figures and their gimmicks can really negatively affect them they are nicely detailed and have a lot of personality. The figures I recommended have the best articulation and their Powerlink gimmicks don't negatively impact the figure.

For the ones I recommended above, I prefer the Japanese version of Tidal Wave (Shockwave) but the US green version is ok if the Japanese one is too expensive. The rest I prefer with their original colors.

I don't think they would be too out of place if they shared shelf space...
    As mentioned above, if you want to get the Starsabre and other Minicon weapon teams go with the Armada Hotshot. If you don't care about Minicons, then get the Universe 2.0.

I hope this helps...

8. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hoist is a pretty solid deluxe for that line. I'd also agree with Tidal Wave.

9. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Out of the Armada line, most of the figures I own are actually Minicons, but if that isn't what you're after, I picked up the ones I thought were good:

Tidal Wave
    Thrust
    Energon Demolishor (Kay Bee exclusive colored like a classic Constructicon)
    Energon Cyclonus (Kay Bee exclusive in gray and black)
    Unicron

The two Energon versions are just recolored versions of the same Armada toys as they appeared in Energon. Tidal Wave also has an Energon version, too.

As for Unicron, if you have one, you've seen him.

I like Thrust personally, but the only major problem I have with him is a lack of real hands. At least he can somewhat hold the Requiem Blaster.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't skip this Prime:

[​IMG]

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    No one mentioned Magna Jet Convoy?

Get him if you would like a huge figure. :thumbs2: 

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    who?

13. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

the japanese name for the combined form of optimus, jetfire and overload

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yah: Micron Legend Cybertrons Toys - Transformers Micron Legend - TFW2005

Also, I felt like saying "Unicron!" was simply stating the obvious.

Also, I much prefer Cybertron Hot Shot to anything Armada or Energon had to offer (which wasn't much). "Cybertron" stands alone for me, mainly because I watched Galaxy Force instead of Cybertron.

15. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

The ones I recommend is:
    Demolisher- doesn't have a head joint, but he does have a waist so at lest he can look, and his gimmicks don't affect the figure. The original or any repaints should do it for you
    Cyclonus- same as Demolisher as he doesn't have a head joint but he does have a waist joint. The only thing I don't like about him is you can't attach his minicon without launching missiles.
    The Beast Wars repaints- I know the may not technically count as Armada figure per say, but they are really good non the less.
    Hoist- has are a really good range articulation for his size class. Just keep in mind that his whole right are is the crane for is altmode.
    Red Alert- has an excellent range of articulation. Just keep in mind that he has a big backpack. The original or any repaints should be good for you.

16. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I'd say almost all the decepticons: Tidal Wave, Demolisher, Cyclonus (he has the best minicon integration I think, it's like 2 different helicopter modes), Sideways. Even Thrust I like to a lesser extent.

For the autobots I'd say Wheeljack, Jetfire and maybe Sideswipe (he's ugly in bot mode but he makes for a decent classics Nightbeat) and Red Alert (if you can stand the legs). And Perceptor's a cool little combiner.

If you like baseformers I'd reconsider getting Prime. And if you like weapons I'd get at least the Star Saber minicon trio.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) I came into modern TFs with Energon and generally disliked most Armada figures I've messed with. There's only really three must-haves for me- Unicron, Bendy Prime (the deluxe pictured above), and Tidal Wave. Some of the minicons are neat- I'm partial to the military team and have several repaints of them. But then if you're after some you'll probably want a version of the Star Saber trio, the Skyboom shield, and the BFG.

2) For those three, best decos.. either Amazon or the 2010 Unicron, the Ultra Magnus or Nemesis Prime repaints of Bendy Prime, and the purple Tidal Wave. I have the green Energon version which is still cool.

3) No. Some of the best Armada figures may be able to blend with the earliest Classics, but there's too much difference in there, at least to me.

4) Haven't handled the new Hot Shot, but the original is pretty shitty. The new one looks less like a Rescue Bot at least. Of course I'm partial to the red repaint, what with the Rodimus homage.

A-fucking-men brother.

Edit: You know, if you're just starting to get into the newer shows I'd say wait before buying too much. Check out Energon and Galaxy Force/Cybertron before you go on a binge, you may want to dedicate more space and cash to later figures.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I can't recommend Armada Sideswipe for anything but taking a dump on.

19. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
  20. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Agreed, but there's also a Nemesis Prime and White Prime version if Primes aren't your thing.

Jetfire is fantastic. I bought it as a stand-alone (without Prime) and it was totally worth the cash. Getting the space minicons to go with it are almost required.