Heavy/Scratch: Armada/Transtech/Gladiator/G1 Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by minsok, Aug 31, 2010.

1. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Put in a lot of work on this guy today. I still need suggestions for how to turn his right fist into a left fist, now that he has two right fists. Do I cut off his thumb and fix it to the other side, with what, it's very small? Just sculpt him a new thumb?

2. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Effing win, I am now just waiting for my Armada Megatron to arrive so I can try this.

3. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Updated pics. Almost finished. Added to his chest armor, added emblem, added abs, added shoulder pads on ball joints, added hip armor and codpiece, failed at making usable pincers and just decided to give the walking tank smaller pincers. Made the chainsaws into antennae for the walking tank like the Transtech art. How they look in tank mode is how all the weapons store on Megatron's back.

He needs black paint in places, some sanding out, some filling in cracks, more sculpting on the top of his shoulders and reshaping the head crest a little, and his thumb operations still, and semi gloss on his gun parts, but he's largely complete.

His name is Nigredo Megatron.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I REALLY am enjoying what you're doing with this one. I think this is some really awesome work :thumb 

:confused: 

5. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

6. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Great solutions all around here! I've never seen Armada Megs looks better. You might consider putting something over the empty tread segments on his shoulders. It would be a good place for some missile pods.
    Is he going to get the caution stripe theme from ORIGIN? Or the pickaxe?

7. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Can't cover those sections, that's where the arms go. He's gotten all the modding he's going to get, he just needs to be fine tuned and finalized. The only painting I plan on doing is black here and there to make him consistent. I'm planning on finishing him in one more session and taking some good pictures.

I call him Nigredo Megatron to differentiate from G1 Megatron, or All Hail Megatron, Armada Megatron, etc etc. He's his own figure at this point.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think MEGAPLEX would be a cool name for this custom :) 

9. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Spammed with pictures. This project is complete. Little things here and there that still aren't perfect and Tamiya Clear paint is actually Tamiya Clear Gloss so the damn treads, shoulders, and a bunch of other parts I didn't want glossy ended up glossy. I'll go over them with matte some day.

10. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    He looks mean, evil and ready to crush autobots with his bare hands!

Love it!

11. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    It looks great! The whole concept of using toy gun parts works really well. Great job!

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Nice! I like what you did with the chest and head. The shoulder guards are a nice touch too... they make me think of WFC Megs a bit.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the painting... there's something about the colour scheme that feels... not unified enough? It tends to accentuate the patchwork elements, rather than blend them. Maybe if you used that shiny black in a couple more places?

zmog

13. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying and I'm pretty sure it's the random green that throws the whole thing off. Painting things black is pretty easy, so I really don't have an excuse not to just go over all of it. Black is kind of boring, though. I might go with a very dark gray or maybe just drybrush some black. I'm pretty sure black drybrush on green will look like crap though. Maybe I'll put a little more into this afterall, the pictures were poor quality anyway...

Tried doing some color correction in photoshop and taking out the green didn't really help. I've never been good with color harmony, so I'm just going to leave it unless someone can show me what looks good. As far as I can tell I'd have to paint him all silver or all black and purple and I'm not really up for that much.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Are you painting by hand, or spraying?

If you wanted a good "Megatron" vibe, I'd go with a flat black coat, and then just dry brush some silver on top here and there to give him that steely look. But on the other hand, this guy has become new variant on Megatron, so he could rock a new deco as well. :) 

zmog

15. kdog

kdog Well-Known Member

i realy like this does the leg swap make him any taller.

16. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Yeah, the leg swap does make him taller, so you have to screw with it if you want his legs to still link up in tank mode because the thighs are longer. It's a lot harder than it sounds. I've decided I'm definitely going to paint this one all silver and gunmetal and I'm going to make a Shinobitron version with Galvatron. I'm going to use Cybertron Crumplezone for the leg mod because everything else that fits is way too expensive. I'm excited to try some spray paint on this one per SMOG, I think it will go pretty good.

17. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    have you already painted it?

18. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    He looks suitably evil and powerful. Good work

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Damn it, now I have to dig up an Arma 'tron. If there was a Cybertronian South Central LA, this guy would run it.

20. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I haven't painted it yet, I think I'm just going to remove all the black I painted, mask off the treads and details and hit it with aluminum silver spray paint. Should be pretty easy.