armada or superlink

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mat`amit, May 12, 2008.

1. mat`amit

mat`amit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hi guys, i don't know if there is already a thread for this, so i'll just give it a go. i'm interested in getting tidal wave but not sure which one is better looking, armada version or superlink version. they both look awesome in their own way and i don't have enough cash to get both. hope u guys can comment. thanks

2. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    well, there's four versions available:
    Armada
    Micron Legend (japanese armada)
    Energon
    Superlink (japanese energon)

the japanese ML one is purple like in the show, but armada has more green. I've never bought the energon version though. you're best bet to know for sure is to go to http://www.tfu.info/2003/Decepticon/TidalWave/tidalwave.htm

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definiltley go for the Micron Legend version,I have the Armada version and it's a bit of an eyesore but still an awesome figure and a must have, I wish I had the japanese version.

4. mat`amit

mat`amit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thanks for the additional info moroni prime, never thought tidal wave had 4 versions. after looking the pics i think i'll choose from either micron legend (more purple) or energon (green + white). so far the score is 1 micron legend (g1wheeljack) - 0 energon

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    What's the difference between the American Energon release and the Superlink release?

I didn't think there were any variances between the two of those...

6. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the Micron Legend one and it looks much, much better than the other releases.

7. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Well, the color scheme is certainly more "adult" in its lack of bright colors, but the US release actually has superior paint work (as in, the paint was physially applied better) and the Energon release is a more interesting display piece.

As cool as the ML version is, I think I have always actually preferred the American release. The grey and sea green (combined with the US sea minicon team, rust colored) just has a more nautical feel than purple and black-ish grey.

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Micron Legend Shockfleet is the best IMO. Plus if you can find the X-Dimension Microns (Sail, Float & Knot—purple versions of the boats) get them too; they go really well together.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I got Energon version the mountain dew version.

But i still want Micron legends Tidalwave.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have the Micron Legend version, I had to get the show accurate one. I also have both sets of those boat minicons, so 6 boats (red and purple) make this sucker pretty awesome.

IMO most ML toys were better than their Armada counterparts. This wasn't as true with Energon/Superlink though.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got the Micron Legend version and it's the best way to go if you're like me and are a nut about show accurate paint schemes. I also like the darker colorscheme in general as I did own the Armada one when the toy first came out and I didn't follow these boards much (so, I didn't know there was going to be a difference in colors between the US & Japanese releases).

Though, I also own the Energon Tidal Wave (also, far as I know... there was no difference between the Superlink & Energon versions of this one) and it's got a really dynamic color scheme. I love the bright green Energon parts that he has and I also like the way the lightning bolts make him look dynamic. This on is the one to go for if you're only going to get one version of the toy IMO, because it make for a more interesting display piece visually.

12. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I would go for the Energon version. It is a nice looking version of Tidalwave and should be cheaper and easier to get than the Micron Legends version. All three versions are nice though. You could probably get both US versions for the price of the Micron Legends version, although I haven't checked so I can't say that is the case for sure. Here are direct links to images of all three versions.

Edit: Looks like I can't direct link the images at TFU.com. Just follow the link Moroni Prime posted.

13. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    the micron version is smooth cool but was pricey.....i also have the energon and armada verions............i like all of them........

14. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    The Micron Legends one totally, the figure is 100% accurate; though he may be a but costly. The Energon/Superlink version goes in second place for me.

My least favorite of this mold is of course, the crappy Armada Tidal Wave.

15. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    IMHO:

Superlink > Armada
    Energon > Armada
    Superlink ~ Energon*

* determining factor would be price, equal if Superlink could be obtained for good price, mountain dew wins otherwise.

Thus an inconclusive conclusion:

Energon > Superlink > Everything > Armada

16. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Each version has matching Mini-Cons.

The X-Dimension pair up with the Micron Legends version, the rust colored standard US release with the Armada version, and the blue US repaints with the Energon version.

17. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Hmmm.. I haven't tried the blue repaints w/the Energon version.
    Sounds like it would go great together. Thanks for the tip.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    One thing to think about is if you intend to combine him with Armada Megatron. The US green Shockwave goes very well with Armada Megatron. The Super Link / Energon and Micron Legend ones all look good on Armada Galvatron.

My personal favourite is the Energon / Super Link version. The clear green, thunderbolts, and the white make him both striking visually, and a different design compared to your average Decepticon. How many white Decepticons do you have?

19. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Let's see... Classics Ramjet, Classics Megatron, Armada Wheeljack.
    And that's about half of the decepticons I have.

Although my Predacons have a much larger force and a much smaller number of white recruits.

I think I would prefer the purple Shockwave to the others. Just because I need more purple transformers. In a perfect world I'd have all three.:p 

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, okay, you got me there!

Basically though he's a top class toy and you should go with the deco that looks nicest. I'm not sure what one that is since I like them both! (Though I love my Super Link one, but that's also down to the very nice box he comes in).