Armada Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trippanator, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Should I go get this guy? I never had this version of him when Armada was out..got everyone else from the line almost. Or should I try to get Energon Optimus with the combiner limbs..or go for RiD Optimus. What I'm asking is which looks better on a shelf?

2. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

I'd get the Nemesis Prime of the Armada mold and get either Energon or RID Optimus.

3. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I would get Nemesis, I need him and the Beast Wars one. But its so expensive. I plan to get RiD Magnus soon aswell. So RiD Optimus seems to be the best huh?

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Armada Prime is an enormous pile of fail and garbage. Don't get him.

Energon Prime is a fun toy, but not overly awesome to look at.

I'd go with RID Prime, it's an amazing display piece, especially if you can find his brother.

5. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

RID Prime = win!

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Armada Prime's an awesome fig, especially when combined with Jetfire and Overload

The Supercon one is even more awesome

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    RiD Prime is awesome, best of the three. Great vehicle mode and fun transformations, the combined robot mode is very impressive and the smaller robot is a nice alternate take on the traditional Optimus design.

Armada Superbase Prime is big and bulky, heavy duty truck mode looks great, the smaller robot lacks some poseability but looks beefy and solid, and is a unique look for a Prime. Combined loses out on poseability, though, and the legs are pretty blah. But the overall design looks decent. He's one who was built for play, though. If you have the Jetfire and Overload from Armada, then you can form the other two modes which adds a lot of fun to the process.

Super-con Armada Prime is great, excellent poseability and design, plus a Targetmaster Mini-con. Lacks features compared to the big one, makes up for it with superior poseability and articulation.

Energon Optimus Prime has the worst look in vehicle mode, the trailer is pretty ugly and unlike the other two, does nothing other than house the limbs. It's just a big piece that you set to one side when you transform him, which wouldn't be so bad except the look does nothing for me. The individual robot mode is pretty cool, he does have the infamous "gut" and there are some versions with a mouth rather than a full faceplate, but he's decently poseable and good to mess about with. His combined mode is a case of individual preference - again, it was geared toward being a lot of fun to play with. You've got the four drone vehicles which can attach in any configuration to give you different combined modes, which is a lot of fun. On the other hand, the result is like one of the classic G1 combiners where all the limbs are different colours, I personally have no problem with that, but others might consider it a negative.

All things considered, I'd rank them in terms of looks:

RiD, Armada, Energon

And in terms of fun:

Energon, RiD, Armada

It all depends on what you are looking for in a toy. Though I'd strongly recommend the RiD Optimus Prime as he's one of the best incarnations of the character, and deserves a spot in most collections.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    snip. just get RiD. He rules.
    /end of story.

9. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada's the best.

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

RiD all the way.

I find him far more fun than the other two. Armada would be second, Energon third.

Armada displays well, though, since his combined mode legs DON'T MOVE AT ALL. No really. They're like Powermaster Optimus Prime's. Except they don't even have side-to-side movement. So if he's standing still, he's cool. However, I think RiD Prime also displays pretty well... and he has articulation. :)  He's also awesome if you have/plan to get RiD Magnus, too.

11. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

RID!!!!!

[​IMG]

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

For the sake of completing the collection, sure, get Superpants Prime. It's not an overly bad toy, but not an overly good one either. It's fine for display, but that's pretty much it. Unless you leave the trailer/base out and combine Prime with Jetfire and Overload, then that's a bit better. Plus those Mini-Cons need somewhere to go.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    RID is great. Displays better than it plays though in Super Mode as the chest section on mine would always pop out of place when lifting the figure. That could just be mine though. The smaller robot mode is best for 'pew pew' times. And of course once you've got the Optimus you just have to get the Ultra Magnus to go with him. :) 

Armada isn't too bad, and I liked it so much I have two loose ones and two MISB ones (one each of the normal colours and one each of the Powerlinx colours). Base mode is fun, what with the electronic unfolding gimmick, and he's a chunky figure. His being able to combine with others adds a nice bit of extra fun to him, and it's cool to have Jetfire and Overload with Optimus in the trailer combination thingy. Bendy Optimus is fun too although his fabled amazing articulation isn't really that great in my opinion as his leg movement is hindered a bit by his hip flaps.

Energon is fun, even if he's been on the pies. I love how the larger version can combine with several other things from the line. The Deluxe one is nice and shiny and the smaller size seems to make him less bloaty to me.

14. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    RiD Prime is sheer win, seriously the scale of win might literally destroy your mind.

Armada Prime's great too, though to a lesser extent. I'd very much love to have his powerlinx repaint as well as powerlinx jetfire and sentinel maximus so I could have an epic combination right there.

If I were gonna for any of them, I'd aim for RiD Prime.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'd say RID Prime because he isn't a brick but, If you want Armada get the cheapest one you can find. He's no worth $$$$$$. Maybe $. But not $$$$$$.

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RiD Prime and Scourge

17. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

RID is the best but Armada is a lot of fun, the self transforming trailer is neat, but it only works about half the time, but its neat anyways.

18. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Well I will buy the RiD one but also placed a bid on an Armada one for 10$.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    RiD Optimus Prime>Armada Optimus Prime>Energon Fattyimus Prime

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    ^^^This for sure.

RID Optimus Prime is a pure win. You really can't go wrong with this guy, IMO.

Armada Prime I've always loved just 'cuz he is fun to play with; a lot of gadgets.

Enegon Prime can fall off the shelf for all I care. I really was never able to get past the beer belly he's got.