Armada Line Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kupp, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am somewhat in a money pinch, need to start saving up money for a house, and think that in addition to giving me some money to put in the bank, selling off some of the lesser wanted pieces in my collection would hopefully make me more selective of future purchases.

The first two things I can think to put on the chopping block are my entire Armada Toyline. Megatron, Red Alert, Tidalwave, and Powerlinx Thrust are all MISB. The rest are loose. I would be planning to sell everything except for Nemesis Prime, The Starscream Molds, Powerlinx Hotshot, Blurr, and Bendy Prime.

My question is, is it even worth it to try and sell them at this point in the toys life. I just feel that while I may take a loss over my cost on the toys, I can't live in nor can I pay the bills with toys directly.

The second thing I can think of to put on the chopping block imediately is I have 1 of each variant of the Binal Tech line 1~13. All the smokesceens through shockwave. Is there any demand for these guys? I have all the alts so far, so it is not a huge loss, but I would regret losing these guys, but if I can get $45 a pop for them that would be a good score.

I am just looking for advice from those who have sold off large collections chuncks in the past. Have they found it worthwild or that it made such a small difference that they might as well have not wasted the time selling the toys.

2. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Most of the Armada line is pretty common. Especially with all the repaints, there isn't going to be much demand for Prime or Cyclonus or Hot Shot.

For individual sales, rarer figs like Skywarp and Nemesis Prime, or red Powerlinx Thrust would sell well, especially MiB. The rest you'd basically have to lot-sell to make it worthwhile.

Binaltech is a different story, as a lot of people missed those figs. Those ones you could probably sell for a comfortable amount (Comparable to what you paid if not more, depending on their condition, if they're MiB, the rarity of the fig, etc).

3. Kupp

News Credits:
    Those BT are all MISB. I just see so many more BT than old ALTs on ebay, so I thought the BT"s were more common.

If the Armada isn't going to get me much, and it sounds like it won't I just won't sell any of them. Better to keep the whole line if I'm just gonna get crap for what I could part with. The BTs I like to keep far more, wanted to get a glass display case and put them it it when I got a house.

Thanks,

Does anyone else agree with Polenicus?

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Armada isnt even worth selling. Honestly, who's gonna buy a Smokescreen or Sideswipe?

BT will probably sell. In addition to the people who want to complete the set, there always people looking for custom fodder.

5. Kupp

News Credits:
    Thanks, well on the bright side I can keep my beloved Minicons. :) 

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with him too - Armada stuff can still be found...its your BTs that will bring in the dough especially for collectors who missed out on the earlier ones. But do you really need cash that badly? Because from experience it can hard to find replace them should you want to hunt them down again. On the other hand, if you're in need of cash...then sell them.

7. Kupp

News Credits:
    I need cash by next july, I don't think the BT's alone will make the difference.

I would probally be more likely to sell off duplicate G1 reissues and E-hobby stuff, (extra road rage, extra twincast)

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

If you did something as simple as sell all of your Armada figures in one shot, maybe you'd get someone to bite. A full collection in one shot might interest a completist that hasn't gotten Armada. The odds of finding one of those collectors, or getting decent money for the series, is a different story, and some of the ones you want to keep are the most coveted.

Lately, I've seen growing desire for the BT Smokescreens, especially BT-07 of both kinds, while you can barely give away the Alt version. People would show some interest in Dead End by now, maybe yellow or blue Tracks, and the others would probably sell in time if the price was acceptable. Expect problems getting rid of Swindle or Ravage.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'd never sell my complete Armada collection. It's still my favorite TF Toyline.

But yeah, I'd say you wouldn't get too much for them on ebay or whatnot.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you've got doubles of the rare stuff, then you can definately make a bit of cash by selling those. The BTs, especially the earlier ones, would probably make back at least the initial cost of them.

I'd recommend not selling anything you can't bear to part with, though. If there are a couple you particularly love, keep them. Unless its something like a Victory Saber, it won't make a huge difference whether you keep a few favourites or not.

11. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

it would never hurt to put the Armada stuff up for sale. Id buy a Smokescreen and Sideswipe. Those are two fo the gems from that series.

Seriously. I cant beleive I sold mine....I want them back.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am putting up most of the Armada stuff I have for sale soon. They are all loose and even though I know I won't get much for them it's better than taking up space in my closet. I may have to sell them as lot if I can't get people interested buying them individually.

And Altercron my sale list will include Smokescreen...as for Sideswipe I just couldn't bring myself to buy that turd. ;) 

13. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just my 2 cents...

When I was looking at buying a house 3 or so years ago and get out of my mom's house I had to quit collecting all together...cold turkey. It sucked, esp. w/ so many good TFs out there. I did manage to pick up one or two every 3-4 months and my g/f (now wife) did pick up the RID trains for me for Christmas one of those years.

It basically came down to putting my priorities in order. What was more important...have the latest toy or having enough money to have a good roof over my head? Thankfully I had some financial help from mom when it came to covering closing costs and such, but it was up to me to save 10% of the total cost of my house first.

If you look at the all of the past TF lines, most of them are still rather accessible and reasonably priced...save for the few pieces from each line that people deem rare. If you were to skip a year or so of buying I'm sure you could eventually pick them up later on.

My wife and I are contemplating starting a family and having our first child. If that happens then I'll have to combine her office w/ my 'toy office' to make room for a nursury. That means having to sell off a huge chunk of my own collection for several reasons. 1) Priorities change I've found as I get older, 2) not enough room to move her stuff in and 3) the money from the sold items would help dramatically

Like others have said, selling off Armada stuff now wouldn't bring in much $$$. You could try and sell it as a whole lot, but the items you listed as keeping would probably keep the overall price of the lot down some.

You're not me so I can't tell you what to do...but buying a house is a huge purchase in life. Besides, if you don't have a house where are you gonna store all of your toys in the first place?! Seriously though, it sounds like now is a good time to re-evaluate your hobby and possibly start making those cut backs now on new and upcoming product.

I'm already doing that myself...which isn't hard, but when you're used to buying anything labeled TF sitting on the toy store's shelves it did take some adjusting on my behalf.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.