Customs: Armada Hoist arm fix?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Metroperplexed, May 5, 2012.

1. Metroperplexed

Metroperplexed Active Member

Hello all.

New to TFW but have been a lurker for a while now so wanted to join up and join in, and I've been itching to ask somebody about this. Apologies if I put this in the wrong place, please let me know if I do so I can move it?

Currently doing a display-change of my bots and as I get to my Armada Hoist I remember something I've always wanted to get sorted - his left arm (if you're behind him). On my model it doesn't ratchet right, as the gooves are out of position. I've read this is a common thing but I've not been able to find a fix for it and to be honest I'm a little wary of taking a screwdriver to him in case I mess him up - I have managed to sort the legs of my Superion: Stormjet though with the help of a guide, so I assume I'm not completely useless.

I was wondering if there's anybody that could give me any advice on trying to sort the fellow out? I'd like the arm to sit level-to-ground instead of pokey-up or pokey-down. An easy thing would be to create more grooves for the 'ratchet' positions but I'm unsure if I can remove the arm to do this or what? I'd hate to fluff him up.

Greatly appreciate any help guys - thanks for reading!

2. Metroperplexed

bump

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Have you attempted a fix on this yet?

4. Metroperplexed

Hey Super

No I haven't tried anything with it yet as I'm not sure how to go about it really. I think possibly the way to go would be to cut grooves for the teeth to match up with better?

I'm new to all this tinkering stuff and don't want to balls it up too bad so asking for the views and experiences of others, see of I can make something happen!

Thanks for posting

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You bet. It's just a problem with that particular figure that I'm unfamiliar with. The figure is still relatively inexpensive and would be easy to replace regardless, even if you do mess it up. When I can get to mine, I'll see what I can do to help.

6. Metroperplexed

Thanks Super, that would be great - in one way I hope you don't find an issue but for my sake...!

Its possible I've not explained my issue very well, or perhaps I'm just being odd about it. Take a look and see what you find, you might see what I'm on about even if you don't have the problem. You're right about him being reasonably cheap though so maybe I'll just give something a whirl anyway!

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you have any way at all of posting some pictures of the toy showing what it does, it might make it easier for us to figure out exactly what's wrong.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yep.

Honestly, I'd just recommend tracking down another.

9. Metroperplexed

Hey again - thanks for your feedback guys. Here are some images that might help. I'd like to try a fix on it rather than just finding another one, which seems wasteful.

Sorry if they aren't all that clear, it was late and I took em with my phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a link suggesting this is a known issue, which doesn't help a whole lot but makes me feel better knowing its not just me! Scroll to the Hoist part of the page if you want the read, its along side his picture there. Smokescreen (Armada - Transformers Wiki)

Thanks again.

10. Metroperplexed

Ah they didn't display in the order they wanted them to. The 1st and 3rd are the ratchet positions I get with the arm on the vertical (or not as the case may be) - showing its either forward, or backward from a neutral straight-up position.

The 2nd picture shows the ratchet sitting on a tooth in a position which would normally be good.

The last one is a frontal of the ratchet in its current state - you can see the arm pointing up instead of directly ahead.

Clear as mud see?

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm guessing that black part works on either side and you got two rights.

Either replace it or cut the black nubs and make new ones somehow.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I still say get a new one and then just use this as custom fodder.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    According to the wiki link you provided, it's a misassembly issue. Meaning it's either using the wrong part like Megamoonman suggested which cannot be fixed or it's the right part but just misaligned. Try taking it apart it apart and see if you can turn it slightly and put it back together.

14. Metroperplexed

Hey all

Sorry for another return to this thread, I've not given up on it yet!

Initial thoughts were to create new teeth for the joint but either I didn't do it very well or it didn't work very well. Probably the first. On reading the suggestion of cutting off the 'nubs' I thought it sounded more viable, so managed to shave down 2 of the 4 - I'm going to need more hands to get shot of the other two though.

Wanted to ask though, is there any way to move the pin from the shoulder joint there? Its only accessible from the one end, but having read about it, I wondered if heating the pin and giving it a pull would get it? Only read that as an example for wheel-pins, but maybe baby? I was thinking if the arm came off I could get in from behind and make a tidy job of it is all.

Thanks, sorry again for re-visiting a dead thread - colour me determined!

15. Metroperplexed

Yay, all done - would like to thank MegaMoonMan for suggesting cutting off the 'nubs'. Finally managed to borrow someone for a couple minutes earlier today, took a knife to those bad boys and all is right with the world once again. Well. Things are at least perky in my cupboard here... I try not to involve myself with the world too much?

Anyway, thanks also to anyone that helped out - one fixed up arm for Hoist and one happy knife-wielding maniac owner-type!

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Awesome! :)