Heavy/Scratch: Armada gets it's groove on: Megs and Scream

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SPLIT LIP, Jan 1, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Some oldish mods I did a few months ago. Articulated two of my favourite toys as a kid. Both still transformable, both way more fun. Pardon the stupidly big, stupidly blurry pics in the attachments. I'm no photographer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    i just recently acquired a couple of these Megatron, i might have to try that out on one of them.. nice job :) 

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

So how did you do it?

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    always wished these bricks would have been better. i mean beast wars and beast machines had better articulation. it was like a step backwards.

nice job on these, adds much more character.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nice!

I'd love to see how you went about these. A leg-swap with Cybertron Jetfire works great on Megatron, but you've retained the original legs. I'd love to see how you did it! :thumb 

zmog

6. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

Well done Sir! These look brilliant and add so much more Character to these guys!

7. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    Cool armada megs is still one of the coolest designs to date . The knee articulation makes him perfect !I think you just made my decision on what to do with my voyager movie shockwave he just dosent look right next to voyager megs . Movie armada megs here I come!

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    That's a huge improvement, Split! :thumb 

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hate Armada to the core, but this has really changed my mind on attempting to find a Megatron. It's gone from brick to awesome!

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    It really does make me realise Armada had some great designs hampered only by severe lack of articulation. I wish I had these toys back in 2003.

I wish I'd taking pictures during the process, (I never think ahead like that. Especially since I usually just make it up as I go) but basically I completely disassembled everything below the chest. I took apart the lower legs and cut out a cavity on the back tread part, then cut out the hinges from the front part down basically to the cavity that exists in the joint. I then cut off completely the joint part from the upper legs and replaced it with a modified LEGO ratchet joint so it not only had knees but hinged inward for transformation. For the hips I cut of the original hinge and hollowed out the interior of the crotch to make room for a couple of Cybertron Defense Scattorshot inner knee joints. I little sanding and a lot of glue and he was done.

Starscream was harder. His hips were replaced with ball joints, his arms had to joints there to begin with so I had to cut and hollow them out to fit in spare ball joitns I ahd and fuilled him with apoxie sculpt. I wish I could've found a way to get his head off so I could give that a joint, too.

11. SMOG

A Lego ratchet with dual articulation? I don't think I know that one. The hips impress me on Megatron... CD Scattershot, eh? Now he just needs a bicep twist. ;) 

That Starscream mold is so in need of love... it's always been a great design hampered by weak execution (like many Armada figures). It also happens to be a bastard to work with, due to all the pins holding it together. I take it that rather than disassembling it, you just started cutting directly into it then? Good job! :) 

zmog

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    The joints I used came from those old Mech sets that came with the awesome little robots and the weird hair minifigs.

13. SMOG

Oh hey... right! I think I know those. It's a disc-shaped joint that plugs into another ratchet socket, right? Cool!

zmog

14. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

that is some damn good work. I tip my hat to you sir!
    Armada had some great design aesthetic, but in the range of motion engineering dept, forget it... all wrong.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    That's the one. It's great because the one I have in the photo is tan, but I have dark red ones I can swap it for to match better.

16. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Really improves the figures massively. Wish they where like this to begin with.

17. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

You'd have to open up his chest and saw the head off the block it's attached to. Then you implant a small ball joint connecting his head to his neck block, and adjust the spring that makes his head pop out and it's as good as done. The chest is pretty tricky to get into, which is why mine is beat up in places. Still working on mine, I call him http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/501768-sexiest-starcream.html. I agree Armada could have been so much better with today's articulation. HasTak really figured it out by Cybertron, though.

18. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool!

19. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you do anything special to the lego knight joint to keep it from unpegging?

20. mechajol

mechajol Well-Known Member

hey split lip!

i'm planning on doing a similar mod on my armada megatron. just noticed that the legs don't lock in tank mode. does it really affect the transformation or are the legs just mistransformed?